Calories

Options
Okay I've seen some people who's goal is 1,200 calories a day. To mee that seems epically low, but maybe I just can't do it? I've always been taught that a general rule is 1,500 plus exercise. I feel like I'm actually getting some food that way- and suggestions?

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I would be miserable at 1200. I was pretty miserable at 1700, too. I set my own calories at 1800 and am doing better with it, losing slowly -- but losing. (And I'm old - 52)
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and 130. It's enough for me but not everyone.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It varies for everyone, but generally (from what I've learned on MFP) 1200 is too low for most people.

These are a couple of good sites to look at for calculations:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (This one is for the TDEE method)

Also, have you read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1 ? That link has a ton of great info.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi - I know this is 5 days old, but just saw it. My RMR (I had a metabolism test done in a clinic) is 1460 calories a day, which is up about 400 calories from where it was the first time I was tested (I put it down to running like a banshee 3-4 times a week.) If your RMR is at 1400 calories, 1200 as the set point and eating all the calories you earn is pretty easy, because that's almost all you need. (Note that this kind of RMR is going to be found in ladies who are both short and older.)

If your RMR is higher than that, you will have a difficult time, because your body does need more calories. Our amounts of natural hunger should match what our bodies need, so for some of us 1200 calories is fine, but for many it is too low.

The calculations on the webpages are pretty good, but it's only around $60 to get a metabolism test done at many weight-loss clinics and then you know, for certain sure, what your RMR is.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1250 for mental perception reasons, I actually eat at ~1500. I just never mind going over "by that much", and end up overeating if I don't set my goals a little higher than they need to be, you know?

But I'm also 5'9" and 127lbs, so my bodystyle is kinda odd. I'm not underweight at all, or in danger of being so. Bodies are weird.
  • tysbobo
    tysbobo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1200 is low, especially with exercise. I set at 1600. Only thing I don't count is my coffee. It's my only cheat but with an hour a day of running, I figure it's the first to go; )
  • tysbobo
    tysbobo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    5'9" @ 127-- good for you! !! I can't seem to get below 150 and I am the same height? ??
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and currently 137. I find 1200 calories is ok, because it doesn't matter to me if I go to 14 one day and 1100 another. I've been consistently losing 1 - 1.5 pounds per week. It's a guideline .
  • wildthingsmom
    wildthingsmom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    based on the RHR calculations for my age, my # was 1362 calories/day (for maintenance). I had an actual RMR done and the number was 1543/day for maintenance.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how tall you are. If you are 5 foot like me, that might be around your BMR especially as you get older. I assume the 1200 is your base and you are eating your exercise calories though.

My BMR is around 1250. If I had my base set to 1200 and ate all my exercise calories, that would have me losing about 1/2 a pound a week. So it's not too low at all. However, I have mine set to my maintenance base (1600) and then use my exercise to create a deficit. It's the same amount of calories in the end but it mentally feels less restrictive.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It really depends more on bodyweight than height.

At 130 lbs, 1200 plus eating back exercise works, but just barely, for loss. Let me explain.

My sedentary daily calorie burn is around 1450 calories. To lose 1/2 lb, you have to have a 250 deficit. So that puts my net goal at 1200. (1450-250=1200). Then I add in exercise calories.

At 120 lbs, my net goal would even be less. And here is the thing--most calculators put ideal weight for me around 115. (5'2" small frame). Or even lower.

So for small gals, 1200 plus eating back exercise calories might not be enough to produce a loss.

The numbers don't lie.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What @tigerblue said. I'm 5'2" and 131. Eating at 1200 not only feels fully satisfying for me (as long as I'm eat the right foods) but gets me a loss of less than a pound a week. Obviously 1200 isn't right for everyone. It's great for me though. I'm not always perfect lol, but my diary is open (I think) for anyone who wants to see what a 1200 day looks like.
  • FitnessasmyWitness
    FitnessasmyWitness Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Okay I've set mine at 1400 and eating back only half the exercise calories. I'm going to try it for 10 days and see how it goes. So far I've been eating really high quality foods and haven't had a problem. We'll see in 10 days :)
  • 06cindy
    06cindy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 5in, currently weigh between 126-128 and MFP has me around 1250 calories to lose weight. I was eating around 1700/day and maintaining, so for me being right in the range of 1200/day works for weight loss. I'm wanting to get closer to 118-120.
  • SarahJurina
    SarahJurina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    I'm set at 1250 for mental perception reasons, I actually eat at ~1500. I just never mind going over "by that much", and end up overeating if I don't set my goals a little higher than they need to be, you know?

But I'm also 5'9" and 127lbs, so my bodystyle is kinda odd. I'm not underweight at all, or in danger of being so. Bodies are weird.

I have a similar body type I believe - I'm 5'9" as well and I'm working on getting to 125, but I am about 129 now. I eat around 1500 calories because mine is set to 1200 and I exercise about everyday.
  • nightingale702
    nightingale702 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6" and 130 lbs (high: 141, goal: 122) attempting to remain around 1200 calories per day. I'm wondering if it's just too low for me. I'm definitely a mental hungry 90% of the day, and an actual hungry 40% of the day (until eating of course).

I tend to binge eat, and the last time it lasted for two days. After moving out and being in control of my own groceries and schedule, I feel like it is a lot easier. I hadn't logged in to MFP regularly for almost a year, so I'm basically starting now. I've already lost 3 lbs in around two weeks. Its awful working as a barista where I have to say no to free drinks, and a pastry (fresh daily from Macrina bakery in Seattle) or burrito (quinoa and cheese and amazing) a day.

It's all about spending calories very wisely, I've learned. I think I'm going to see if I can stick to 1200 even though it is very difficult, and then possibly raise that within the next month, especially if I keep slipping into a binge eating period, I'd rather consume the same amount of healthy calories daily during the week than eat cup noodles, chocolate, and drink beer for two days straight.
  • xo__regina
    xo__regina Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've actually been a little confused by this as well. I'm eating around ~1200 calories M-F and then over the weekend it ends up being more like 1500-1700. I don't eat back my exercise calories (nor do I even track them on MFP). It's been working so far, but my weight loss has started to slow down. Although that might be because I'm now in a "normal" (i.e. healthy) weight range. I keep reading that increasing calorie intake might actually help with losing more weight, but it just sounds so counter intuitive.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 2" and 126 pounds. I've been on a 1200/ day since last October and for the most part, managed to maintain it and lost about 8 kg. But now weight loss has completely plateaued. I am trying to mix up my diet and exercise. I increased my calorie intake for three days this week, will have to wait and see if it works! On top of all this, I am confused about my UGW too...initially I was thinking 110 and now wondering if 116 is achievable...sigh...
  • BurningBuck
    BurningBuck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the amount of calories that a person needs to eat veries because we are all diffrent. I am 5'1 and 177.4lbs as well as a college student. I think my doctor is being a little to restrictive with having me at 1200cal a day although I know that she is concened because I am overweight and have high blood pressure. When she first saw me and told me to eat just 1200cal a day I thought she was crazy but I have learned to adapt and now sometimes I eat all 1200cal a day or sometimes I have some left over.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person.I think it's just about right for me.I don't have a lot of muscle and I have a feeling my metabolism is really slow. I have to eat very little if I want to lose weight.