2 days of Paleo and not feeling well.sore throat low fever.food ideas?

Options
qkcam
qkcam Posts: 67 Member
I got to about two days of Paleo and now I'm getting sick,typically when I'm sick i.eat whatever my body wants to eat it because I don't have much energy to do food prep and most thing as don't sound good. looking for ideas of what I can stick with in his Paleo /primal plan to get nutrition when I don't feel like eating. I had half a dark chocolate bar , I don't think that's Paleo or primal and I'm trying to figure out what the rest of my food should look like and I'm really craving carbs so I'm open for ideas thanks.

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    How about some citrus fruits that are high in vitamin C?
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bone broth would help you to feel better and recover quicker. That may not be easy for you to get right now, but something to have on hand when you get a chance.

Craving carbs on the second day is normal when transitioning to a lower carb food intake. Your body is craving the quick boost from the simple carbs. Eating sugars and high carbs now will just prolong the cravings.

Is a big salad doable for you? Greens, a couple hard or soft boiled eggs, veggies and whatever leftover meat you have in the fridge. An egg scramble is also easy and nutritious. Saute veggies (fresh or leftover) in fat then scramble eggs over them.

Hope this helps some.
  • qkcam
    Options
    bone broth sounds really good right now. I have some tomato soup. great suggestions I could deafly boil some eggs and maybe I'll take Cod liver oil too. Thanks
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna be "that person" but I'm looking at your diary and bread, canned soup, peanut butter, and those protein powders just to mention a few aren't paleo.

My suggestion is this: cut out the grains, legumes, dairy, and processed foods for 30 days, heck even 14 days I think would work. At first you might feel like crap because your body goes "wow give me my addiction" which for a lot of people like bread or pasta, but after that you'll feel better. I tried to eat wheat even after 10 days on full on paleo and yeah, my body didn't like it and I was miserable.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't wanna be "that person" but I'm looking at your diary and bread, canned soup, peanut butter, and those protein powders just to mention a few aren't paleo.

My suggestion is this: cut out the grains, legumes, dairy, and processed foods for 30 days, heck even 14 days I think would work. At first you might feel like crap because your body goes "wow give me my addiction" which for a lot of people like bread or pasta, but after that you'll feel better. I tried to eat wheat even after 10 days on full on paleo and yeah, my body didn't like it and I was miserable.

Several pieces of good advice here.

Gargle with salt water -- 1/2 to 1 tsp sea salt in 8 oz warm water. Be sure to spit it out.

Do you happen to have apple cider vinegar? (ACV) The best kind to have is raw, organic (with the mother) like Bragg's. (I buy whatever raw organic ACV happens to be on sale at the best price.) Take a TBSP in 8 oz of water every hour. It's very sour. When I first started doing this for colds, I mixed in equal amounts of raw honey (that's also soothing to the throat), but I gradually cut down on the honey (because sugar stresses the immune system) until now I only take ACV and water when I feel as if I'm coming down sick. The ACV changes your body chemistry to make you less hospitable to viruses.

Bone broth is good -- and easy -- just throw bony chicken pieces into a crockpot with water, 2 TBS apple cider vinegar (organic is best, but if you only have regular, do that), and 1 TBS sea salt. Cook it on low for at least 24 hours. If you can't get free-range, organic chicken, take the skin and extra fat off before you put it in the pot. You don't even need to add any vegetables. The bone broth I've made this way tastes amazing.

You can refrigerate homemade bone broth for (what? 5-7 days if you leave a layer of fat on top of the jar?) or freeze it for a month.

While you're waiting for the homemade bone broth to cook, sip hot chicken broth that you bought pre-made. The free-range, organic kind in the UHT packaging would be better than canned soup, I think, if you can find it. If you want a little more substance, bring the broth to a boil, scramble a couple of eggs and swirl them into the soup (Egg Drop!), and add some fresh or frozen spinach right at the last.

You can buy elderberry syrup sweetened with honey at most nutrition centers or natural food stores. That can help knock out a virus.

Minimize sugar (other than the elderberry syrup) -- fruit is not the best choice. Lots of liquids. Scrambled eggs with thawed frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, brussels sprouts, that kind of thing) stirred in. Custard made with eggs and coconut milk (scramble together 4 eggs with a cup of coconut milk, bake at 350 in a water bath -- set custard cups in a metal pan and add boiling water halfway up the sides of the custard cups when you first put it all in the oven -- until the custard is set or a knife comes out clean. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon or nutmeg, or stir in a tsp of vanilla for flavor).

And yeah, you're very likely going to crave carbs for the next few days. If you can just stick it out, eating plenty of healthy fats, your body ought to switch over to fat-burning and all of a sudden the cravings will be gone. You'll also be sleeping better and will have more energy, if you're anything like I've read from several of the people who post here, as well as my own experience.

And a bonus, for paleo and primal eaters, is that we seem to catch a lot fewer viruses that are going around. I think I've had fewer colds, the past couple years, and quite often I'll feel like I'm coming down with a cold, and will do the elderberry syrup, and/or the ACV, and/or extra vitamin C, and just feel rotten for one day -- and then wake up feeling normal, rather than having a cold for the usual 7-10 days.

• qkcam
    Options
    i do have elderberry .. that is about all i have energy for right now. i do have ACV but was taking that last month for some diaherra and it really upsets my stomach- i may try it again though. i guess the pea protin is legume? i dont usually have canned soup but i needed to eat something- and when i am sick it needs to be something very easy- otherwise i wont eat at all and when i start getting really hungry i binge on what is easiest. tryignt to break the cycle. i also have chronic fatigue syndrome which makes me extra tired and exhausted but when i get an infection on top of the cfs i tend to not be able to do much besides lay flat for how ever many days it takes, and am hoping it doesnt take months.. (as it has in the past) that makes it hard to shop and do anything..i have to take very small steps right now and some food is better then no food or binge food. for some reason i thought peant butter was save. i also have almond butter and cashew butter- so i can do those. right now my carbs are only at 73 so not bad .. and i am very hungry but too owverhelmed to deal with the food. i have some frozen hambuger i may toss on the george foreman .. or canned mackeral..but neither sound. good. hopefully i will be better in a day or two and can get back on better track.. i have a long drive tomorrow to go have a lyme test done..so that will take any energy i have for tomorrow. thank you for the support and ideas
  • qkcam
    Options
    how much elderberry do you take when you feel something coming on? i have already added some vit c. i found a local place that makes bone broth and lots of good things- only thing is i dont trust my health enough to no if i will be able to pick it up when it is ready- it has to be preordered. hopefully after this recent infection ..things will get better as i continue to shift my food.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Since we moved, I haven't made homemade elderberry syrup again, but I bought some when one of the non-paleo people in the family came down with the flu, and I took it when the sore throat threatened (and for me, resolved the next day, so thankful that my immune system fought it off). I think the dose was 2 tsp, up to four times a day, but I don't remember for sure. I just took the maximum dose allowed on the bottle, along with the ACV treatment. Sorry to be so little help.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Homesweeths, that' great advice! Thank you, I didn't know about the ACV and will use it when needed!
  • homesweeths
    edited May 2015
    Options
    qkcam wrote: »
    i do have elderberry .. that is about all i have energy for right now. i do have ACV but was taking that last month for some diaherra and it really upsets my stomach- i may try it again though. i guess the pea protin is legume? i dont usually have canned soup but i needed to eat something- and when i am sick it needs to be something very easy- otherwise i wont eat at all and when i start getting really hungry i binge on what is easiest. tryignt to break the cycle. i also have chronic fatigue syndrome which makes me extra tired and exhausted but when i get an infection on top of the cfs i tend to not be able to do much besides lay flat for how ever many days it takes, and am hoping it doesnt take months.. (as it has in the past) that makes it hard to shop and do anything..i have to take very small steps right now and some food is better then no food or binge food. for some reason i thought peant butter was save. i also have almond butter and cashew butter- so i can do those. right now my carbs are only at 73 so not bad .. and i am very hungry but too owverhelmed to deal with the food. i have some frozen hambuger i may toss on the george foreman .. or canned mackeral..but neither sound. good. hopefully i will be better in a day or two and can get back on better track.. i have a long drive tomorrow to go have a lyme test done..so that will take any energy i have for tomorrow. thank you for the support and ideas

Pea protein and peanut butter are legumes. I'd recommend avoiding the nut and seed butters -- the calories can really add up, without keeping you satisfied, meaning lots of calories but still hunger, even cravings.

One of the best things I learned while pregnant, and having to eat protein around the clock to fight off pre-eclampsia (my body does not metabolize protein well) -- get an economy sized package of chicken thighs or chicken legs, sprinkle them with garlic powder and sea salt, and bake (I think it's 45 minutes at 350, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong -- I go by "looks" more than time). Put them in the fridge and you have a healthy protein snack/meal any time you need one. Much better than protein powder.

If it's conventionally raised (not the best thing in the world, I know), take the skin off before cooking/eating.

If you mix raw honey with the ACV it can help. Also, don't take more than a TBSP in 8 oz of water (and if you're using the raw stuff with the "mother" you might even want to start smaller and work your way up).

I have been much the same way, with not eating at all and then eating something that in the end makes me feel worse. Paleo has really helped that. I can fast for more than 24 hours without getting into that vicious cycle. Not that I fast that long on purpose! But, for example, one of my kids was in the hospital recently -- went to the urgent care clinic, then we were sent to ER (where we waited for 6+ hours while they tried to figure out what was wrong) and finally admitted to the hospital. I was tied to her side. I had the family car, so dh couldn't bring me any food. I couldn't eat the hospital food they offered us -- awful stuff. Think "Wonder Bread" and Oscar Meyer processed lunch meat, for example, and canned applesauce made with sugar. I knew I'd be sick if I ate any of it. I had been without food for more than 24 hours (just did the calculation -- it was about 32 hours) when a friend showed up with homemade Paleo Autoimmune Protocol food. (Blessings on her! What a wonderful gift that was.)

(I don't think I will ever skip breakfast again, to take a child to the urgent care clinic for what I think is a minor problem. At the very least, I will grab some food from the fridge and take it with me...)

And yet, I never got woozy or dizzy or sick, because I've been paleo/primal for two years now, and my body is doing so much better than it used to.
  • jrosto
    Options
    Wyldwood Cellars makes an Elderberry Concentrate or artificial sweeteners that works very well.
  • jrosto
    Options
    Hmmm... after the word "Concentrate" should be "...without any sugar..."
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I usually get the elderberry-raw honey syrup at the nutrition center. I'll have to look for that concentrate.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    (The stuff I make from organic dried elderberries is just that, concentrate, by simmering the berries in filtered water. However, I usually add raw honey to it after it's cooled, to make it palatable -- and the raw honey has some positive qualities of its own. My organic dried elderberries, however, are somewhere at the bottom of our chest freezer and I haven't gotten around to cleaning it out and reorganizing it since Thanksgiving...)
  • jrosto
    Options
    I've made Elderberry tincture with dried Elderberries and Vodka that worked well and stored forever. Alcohol is no longer in my plan, and the concentrate is easier to use and more concentrated than my tincture was.

Your syrup sounds pretty awesome.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Homesweeths, that' great advice! Thank you, I didn't know about the ACV and will use it when needed!

You're welcome!

Yeah, it's counter-intuitive to me, that acid things like ACV or lemon juice affects your body's pH towards the basic (as in "less acid") end of the scale, but that's what several naturopaths have told me.

• homesweeths
    Options
    p.s. if you buy dried elderberries, say, from Amazon.com -- keep them in the freezer! They can develop little white worms in your cabinet. Some people might say, "extra protein!" but it really doesn't float my boat.
  • qkcam
    Options
    i have 2 bags of frozen chicken, on bag of thighs 1bag of breast tenders- that may have to do untill i get another payday. 7 hours of on the road in traffic for 1 tube of blood draw! ee gads.. i will have to come back and read more tomorrow. as soon as i got home i took some elderberry and ACV. thanks for the ideas- if you feel like some cooking tips w/ frozen chicken like above i am glad to try it.?? can i do the same thing only cook them longer? thank you -
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Easiest thing to do (I find) is to take some frozen meat (like 2 or more meals' worth) out of the freezer just before you go to bed, to thaw in the refrigerator. Then you're ahead of the game -- you can put them in the crockpot when you get up in the morning, or in the oven an hour before you want to eat them, season and bake.

Some of my favorite seasoning combos:
    - Costco granulated garlic and Himalayan pink salt (can use garlic powder and sea salt if you're not fancy)
    - brush or rub olive oil over, then sprinkle with rosemary and a grinding of black pepper
    - Penzey Spices Fox Pointe seasoning (we have a local store, but you can also order their spices online)
    - olive oil, then lemon pepper

I don't do nightshades anymore (my joints thank me), but I used to enjoy dumping a can of tomatoes over the top of a pan of chicken, and sprinkling garlic powder and Italian seasoning over it all.

Thaw frozen veggies (put in a colander and run water over them) and spread in a baking pan, drizzle with some olive oil (I love to do this with Normandy mix -- carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) and put your chicken pieces on top, then season the chicken however you like and bake. The lovely chicken juices go into the veggies and make them really good. Great for dinner, and leftover breakfast or lunch the next day.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing to do (I find) is to take some frozen meat (like 2 or more meals' worth) out of the freezer just before you go to bed, to thaw in the refrigerator. Then you're ahead of the game -- you can put them in the crockpot when you get up in the morning, or in the oven an hour before you want to eat them, season and bake.

Some of my favorite seasoning combos:
    - Costco granulated garlic and Himalayan pink salt (can use garlic powder and sea salt if you're not fancy)
    - brush or rub olive oil over, then sprinkle with rosemary and a grinding of black pepper
    - Penzey Spices Fox Pointe seasoning (we have a local store, but you can also order their spices online)
    - olive oil, then lemon pepper

I don't do nightshades anymore (my joints thank me), but I used to enjoy dumping a can of tomatoes over the top of a pan of chicken, and sprinkling garlic powder and Italian seasoning over it all.

Thaw frozen veggies (put in a colander and run water over them) and spread in a baking pan, drizzle with some olive oil (I love to do this with Normandy mix -- carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) and put your chicken pieces on top, then season the chicken however you like and bake. The lovely chicken juices go into the veggies and make them really good. Great for dinner, and leftover breakfast or lunch the next day.

I heart Penzeys.