Jack Daniels Running Formula

Options
beeblebrox82
beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
Looking to switch it up for my fall marathon (will be my 3rd). For my first two I have been following Brad Hudson, and it seems like the long runs are beating me up a bit.

Anyone have any experience with JDR? Looking at doing the 18 week 2Q program, I like that there are two medium size runs in a week, but the longest runs top out at 16-17 miles. I think I might get better overall workouts, breaking the mileage up a bit more through the week.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Nate

Replies

• LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Looking to switch it up for my fall marathon (will be my 3rd). For my first two I have been following Brad Hudson, and it seems like the long runs are beating me up a bit.

Anyone have any experience with JDR? Looking at doing the 18 week 2Q program, I like that there are two medium size runs in a week, but the longest runs top out at 16-17 miles. I think I might get better overall workouts, breaking the mileage up a bit more through the week.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Nate

Yup, I have the book and have looked at the plans... I'm pretty sure I'm not fast enough for it yet.

The runs are based on time and intensity, and I need way more time to get the distance in LOL.

It's very technical and based on sound science. Gruelling long tempo runs but I bet they would really pay off!

If you try it I would love to follow your progress.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I have the book and love Dr. Daniels. I read it for the knowledge and learn more about the science of running and how our bodies work. I have not however followed any of the plans.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Personally I think with only 16-17 miles, which is just short of the 15 a few of my half plans peaked at, you will not be fully prepared for those last 6 miles. I wasn't fully prepared for them with a peak of 55 miles a week and 21 mile long run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    First and most importantly, the long run alone does not prepare you for the marathon distance. Cumulative mileage over time (months and years) is what prepares you for that last 10K in the marathon.

That being said, the long run's most important benefit is that it trains the body to use a higher percentage of fat versus glycogen during the run. This does not start to happen until about 90 minutes into the long run and the longer you go, the more this adaptation takes place. But you reach a point of diminishing returns when you get to about 3 to 3.5 hours, regardless of the distance. Longer than that and the recovery from the run takes too long and it impacts your ability to get back out there and continue training.

How does that translate to real world training?

If it takes you 3:30 to run 17 miles, you are running at a 13:08 pace. That person is going to have a hard time being prepared for a marathon.

If it takes you 3:30 to run 22 miles, you are running at a 9:33 pace. This runner is going to be more fit and will have a more successful marathon (assuming proper pacing, etc).

But if the 9:33 runner does a 17 mile long run as the peak, they are robbing themselves of the opportunity to get further adaptations which are required for you to be successful in the marathon.

My (sometimes unpopular) opinion is that the former runner shouldn't even be training for a marathon. They would be better served concentrating on getting their volume up and running shorter races. That will drive their pace down naturally and provide them with the opportunity for a better marathon experience down the road.

So, if you are a faster runner and committed to running a fast marathon, I can't imagine how shortening your long run will be beneficial. The faster you get, the longer that run should be as you cover more distance in the same amount of time.
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    Carson, thanks for your input, that's the exact argument that Jack Daniels makes, but he puts the cutoff shorter, at 2:00-3:00 hours tops... on the argument that elite runners are doing marathons in the low 2 hour range. It's the same argument of time instead of distance though, but since I am faster, perhaps it doesn't hurt to tack ona few miles to the longer runs. Most training plans don't spend a ton of time at that high 18-22 mile range anyway, I think the thought process on the JDR formula is to spend more time over the course of the training at that 13-17 mile range where you are clearing lactate to achieve the same goal without doing runs so long that you are hurting yourself nearly as much as if you were doing the peak race anyway. It does make me nervous, which is why I reached out for some experience. I'm a big guy (6'4" 220lb) and I've been struggling to get my mileage over 40mpw without wrecking my lower body.

My first marathon was a 3:36 last fall, I have another one coming up this weekend, aiming for a 3:30ish. My overall goal is to BQ, currently that's at 3:10 for me, so I have a ways to go.

thanks!
    Nate
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Still reading the book, haven't made it to the training plans yet.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Darn, I thought this thread was going to be about;
    Drink to run,
    Run to drink!

or maybe after race cocktails?
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    Options
    It would be fun to start an experiment... A bench of us could start a JD training group and track progress :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Carson, thanks for your input, that's the exact argument that Jack Daniels makes, but he puts the cutoff shorter, at 2:00-3:00 hours tops... on the argument that elite runners are doing marathons in the low 2 hour range. It's the same argument of time instead of distance though, but since I am faster, perhaps it doesn't hurt to tack ona few miles to the longer runs. Most training plans don't spend a ton of time at that high 18-22 mile range anyway, I think the thought process on the JDR formula is to spend more time over the course of the training at that 13-17 mile range where you are clearing lactate to achieve the same goal without doing runs so long that you are hurting yourself nearly as much as if you were doing the peak race anyway. It does make me nervous, which is why I reached out for some experience. I'm a big guy (6'4" 220lb) and I've been struggling to get my mileage over 40mpw without wrecking my lower body.

My first marathon was a 3:36 last fall, I have another one coming up this weekend, aiming for a 3:30ish. My overall goal is to BQ, currently that's at 3:10 for me, so I have a ways to go.

thanks!
    Nate

Last summer, I broke into the 50s too soon and it hurt. I backed off and went into my September 2014 marathon with about 45MPW average, two long runs of any significance (16, 18), and ran a 3:30, with various issues that kept me from being 100% happy with the race. I clearly cheated myself in training due to wanting to race all the races. Around Dec-Feb, I was doing the "run all the miles" strategy with no real focus. Just running 7-10 miles every day with little rest. I turned my training over to a wise coach and went into my April 2015 marathon with 55MPW average, seven long runs of 18-20mi with more focused MP work, and more rest days than I previously granted myself. I ran a 3:19, and was 99% happy with my performance. Books are great, but they're no good if you don't seek to understand the "boring" theory parts and just skip straight to the end and get into a do-or-die on the training plan section. If you train right, you'll feel no different after a 20 mile run than you would after a 4 mile run.
  • beeblebrox82
    Options

Last summer, I broke into the 50s too soon and it hurt. I backed off and went into my September 2014 marathon with about 45MPW average, two long runs of any significance (16, 18), and ran a 3:30, with various issues that kept me from being 100% happy with the race. I clearly cheated myself in training due to wanting to race all the races. Around Dec-Feb, I was doing the "run all the miles" strategy with no real focus. Just running 7-10 miles every day with little rest. I turned my training over to a wise coach and went into my April 2015 marathon with 55MPW average, seven long runs of 18-20mi with more focused MP work, and more rest days than I previously granted myself. I ran a 3:19, and was 99% happy with my performance. Books are great, but they're no good if you don't seek to understand the "boring" theory parts and just skip straight to the end and get into a do-or-die on the training plan section. If you train right, you'll feel no different after a 20 mile run than you would after a 4 mile run.

I read the book.... I've been following the theories as best as I can from both authors... It might be helpful to explain what you think is "training right"

• vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options

thanks!
    Nate

That's a really fast time for a first marathon. Good job. Even with lower milesge 40 MPW- that's very impressive. Do you have a running background? I am also trying to run a 3:10 one of these days. I'm usually running about 60 MPW. you could probably get away with those training plans you mentioned- not firmilar with them but jack daniels is a smart guy. My best marathon, I only ran 3 16-19 mile long runs. My PR is 3:19 so it's a far cry from 3:10 lol, but hopefully some day. Marathons require a kind of mental toughness that I'm still trying to figure out :-)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Here's a Jack Daniels question I had this morning while staring at the small pond of sweat under my spin bike: Our coach at SDTC stresses that we stay in our training zones the last 3 weeks before RnR and that he doesn't want us working to hard. Does that only apply to time running or is spiking my HR at spin going to hurt my run?
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    Options
    Here's a Jack Daniels question I had this morning while staring at the small pond of sweat under my spin bike: Our coach at SDTC stresses that we stay in our training zones the last 3 weeks before RnR and that he doesn't want us working to hard. Does that only apply to time running or is spiking my HR at spin going to hurt my run?

I'm pretty sure it's sport specific.

There is plenty of research showing that short and high intensity running during a taper period is a good thing. Maybe that's already built into your target zones (the ones you are trying to stay with in).

Sounds like your coach is pretty prescriptive. I would imagine the targets for cross training (bike trainer) are built into the program, no?

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I read the book.... I've been following the theories as best as I can from both authors... It might be helpful to explain what you think is "training right"

Training right is impossible to define in absolutes. The "right" training for me probably isn't the "right" training for you. That being said, just because it's not "right" doesn't mean that it's "wrong". Wrong is a lot easier to define, you know it when you see it. Right training comes from having the necessary knowledge of training principles and your capabilities (or a coach who does) and the ability to translate them into the appropriate workouts at the appropriate times.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

For me, it was taking "me" out of the equation, including myself picking a plan that might be too much or not enough for my ability.

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think the longer runs are really important. My past four marathon times where 3:33, DNF, 3:12, 3:05. That DNF was a plan that did not focus enough on longer, slower running along with my own mistakes -cutting workouts like some mentioned and some racing errors as well such as starting too fast. But I only did 40ish mpw and my longest run was 19.

For the 3:12 I ran more more 20 milers and added a medium long run that peaked at 15 miles during the week. (48-50 mpw average, 60 peak)

For the 3:05, I ran 3x20 and 1x22 along with that medium long run and some (Daniels inspired) long tempo miles- had to cut some of those out towards the end due to ice..ended up doing shorter treadmill segments. 58-62 mpw with 2 peak weeks of 70 miles each.

I don't have anything but my experience to speak to, which is why I am sharing it. I feel those longer long runs helped a lot as well as the resulting higher mileage overall. I built my mileage up in the off season and started with a 4 week hill module; after that, those 20 milers really didn't make me feel any different than 16 milers. 12-14 miles was nothing because you were doing that during the week as a medium long, it just all began to feel very easy. The tempos were where the work was....
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    I appreciate the thoughts guys, really do, thanks for taking the time to write. I guess we shall see how the training goes. It's certainly NOT a "run your first marathon" setup. Since I'm already at marathon readiness, I liked this plan because it is only a slight step down, if at all from where I was at in mileage, but was more focused on two epic quality sessions, with easier mileage to supplement. On the Hudson plan, almost every run was paced up at some point, and I think that's what was wrecking me; nowhere to recover. I find it interesting in all your comments that, over the course of a 500 mile, 18 week training cycle, so much emphasis is placed on about 13 miles: the tips of those long runs. Are those really the most important miles in a marathon training plan?

I think I'm going to give the 2Q theory a try, and see if I can gradually get my mileage up a bit as I go. if I can get to around 50mpw I can stretch out those long runs a bit. Might take care of itself a bit too with increased pace. I can report back periodically how I'm feeling if y'all like.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I find it interesting in all your comments that, over the course of a 500 mile, 18 week training cycle, so much emphasis is placed on about 13 miles: the tips of those long runs. Are those really the most important miles in a marathon training plan?

I am not so sure what is so magical about mile 13. Personally, it's after mile 18 or mile 20 when it really starts to become interesting. :-)

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think for a lot of people, including me, the mid-week medium-long run of 13-15 miles to back up the long run really helps with endurance. I actually remember in my first marathon (not making this up) getting to 11 miles and thinking 'oh good, only a Wednesday run to go'.
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I find it interesting in all your comments that, over the course of a 500 mile, 18 week training cycle, so much emphasis is placed on about 13 miles: the tips of those long runs. Are those really the most important miles in a marathon training plan?

I am not so sure what is so magical about mile 13. Personally, it's after mile 18 or mile 20 when it really starts to become interesting. :-)

You're not reading what I wrote. so if your average plan has say 5 runs from 18-22 miles in it, and this one tops out at a bunch of 17s, you're looking at a total difference of about 13-15 miles summed up in long run time over the plan. If you're doing those miles on different days, does it really matter that much?