My fitness goal.....

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
Last year my husband, kids and I went on an amazing hike an hour from home. The views were breathtaking, the experience with my kids was amazing, but the hike....OMG, I was in tears by the time I got to the top. It is literally straight up a mountain. At the time I was throwing myself out there because I had been almost agoraphobic for a couple of years. I would have a panic attack just leaving the house. This hike was something I always wanted to do. I put on a happy face at the top, but honestly I was in a complete state of panic. I was an hours drive away from my safe space (home), I was at the top of the mountain and if something happened it would be a helicopter trip to safety, and I was in full blown panic which made everything uncomfortable. I am doing amazingly well this year. I have been able to decrease my medication down to 5 mg from 15 mg. I have parted ways with a few people whom I considered friends because they just completely brought me down. I am finally on my way to good health through weight loss and positive mental health. So MY goal this year is to hike the same mountain and rock it. No panic, no negativity. Just my happy little family and happy memories. :) Here are some pics from last year to show you how amazing it is.

j8yzq3ta7wda.jpg

aqt6n6bwlfhv.jpg

fyebdch75fx5.jpg

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    So fabulous! Keep it up!!
  • pkroyle
    pkroyle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Awesome view, Fantastical workout, may you achieve your goal this year. You can do it!!!
  • stevehawkins555
    stevehawkins555 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Extraordinarily beautiful, and very different from my home in Alabama...best wishes to you...
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Own it!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing view and a fabulous goal!!! I'm behind you 1000% (yes I know that's not possible, but you get my point)! :)
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous pictures! Your attitude could not be any better. You have made a plan and you are sticking with it. You should be very proud! I have absolutely no doubt that you will be posting brand new pictures from the top of that mountain this year. Congratulations on going after something so special and worthwhile.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I would love to hike with you!! That's an amazing way to bring up your fitness, to face your fears and to enjoy the nature! My best wishes to you and congrats, that's a huge achievement!

The only hike around here is from my car to the beach shore, ugh!
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I did a hike almost like this in Utah on vacation in 2005...I would love to do it again!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Such gorgeous views! And you progress so far is amazing!

I'm completely jealous of everyone who lives close to places like these. Makes me want to plan a hiking vacation!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Beautiful pictures! Jealous here in the flat south! So happy you've been able to decrease your medication dosage too! Love your attitude! Can't wait to see the new pictures and celebrate your panic free hike!!
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Looks amazing! Inspiring as made me think where I can go for a hike.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    It is exhilarating to be able to hike and not worry if you'll make it. I've found better health makes everything else better. I'm dying to go on a day-long hike this year, maybe even overnight it on the Appy Trail. I'd need the in-laws to take the kids. And take a decent camera this time.

Keep it up! You are doing great!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That is a great goal. You can do it!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    It is exhilarating to be able to hike and not worry if you'll make it. I've found better health makes everything else better. I'm dying to go on a day-long hike this year, maybe even overnight it on the Appy Trail. I'd need the in-laws to take the kids. And take a decent camera this time.

I have the same bug. Last year we drove through Banff national park in Alberta and there are tons of hikes and overnighters. I want to do one! Just nobody to go with.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    What a great idea. My mother goes on a ladies-only backpacking weekend every Fall in the mountains. Maybe next year I can plan to go with her (if we can find someone to help with the three little ones at home). I used to backpack when I was younger and more fit, and I really enjoyed it (although I will admit I'm scared of bears!).
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I have the same bug. Last year we drove through Banff national park in Alberta and there are tons of hikes and overnighters. I want to do one! Just nobody to go with.

My hubby would go with me. He used to opine how he was dying to do just that (backpacking/overnighters) but I was in no shape at all to do it. I dare say I can probably hike longer than him now. The only thing keeping us from it is the kids.