Running watches

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I use a 920xt and love it. Pretty much does everything I ever want. Swim (pool and open-water), bike, run, and smartwatch all in one.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I would probably get the 620, but really I would keep the watch I have which is perfectly adequate (the discontinued 410) and spend the money on shoes.

I know nothing of the 620, I have the 410 as well.
    I dispise the bevel/bezel/whatever they call it.
    But it still works great so I'd rather use the money on shoes or cycling gear.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So no one else thinks the timex one looks amazing?! LOL... sheesh!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It does look pretty cool. For years I ran with just my Timex Ironman (non-GPS) $10 Target watch. Then 10 years ago my husband bought me my first Garmin GPS watch and I have been a slave to the brand ever since. I don't think I have considered buying another brand of GPS watch. Maybe I should...
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I thought the Timex looked like everything I could ask for in a sports smartwatch. But the AT&T requirement is a deal breaker for me since I work for a competitor. :) Open it up to other carriers and I could easily be sold on it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

This is a really good website for reviews
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have the 620 and love it even though I'm not sure I use it to its full capability. I am interested in the new Epix when its available in the UK for trails/ hiking though (saving my pennies LOL)

I also use the mio HRM as can't get on with chest straps so am interested to see that its their technology in the new Garmin 225. I've found the results far more consistent than I did with a chest strap (no unexpected spikes or drop outs). Will be interesting to see if Garmin include it in its next generation of watches.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    It does look pretty cool. For years I ran with just my Timex Ironman (non-GPS) $10 Target watch. Then 10 years ago my husband bought me my first Garmin GPS watch and I have been a slave to the brand ever since. I don't think I have considered buying another brand of GPS watch. Maybe I should...

I'm the same way, first Garmin over 10 years ago and a slave to the brand since. My puppy (who is now 9) chewed my original FR205. I lost the next one at a race. Then I bought a second hand 405 (hated the bezel like someone else up above mentioned).
    This time I actually did consider another brand and looked at the Suunto. After tons of reviews (especially DCrainmaker), I stuck with the Garmin and went with the 920xt. I have not been disapointed yet.
  • Sirrunsalot75
    Sirrunsalot75 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just bought the garmin fenix 2 and love it. Wish I would have saved a little more and bought the 3 now.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I've currently got the fenix 2 and I'm quite happy with it, although I would love to upgrade to the Fenix 3, or the Epix.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Does this mean most of us have garmin connect accounts? If so, do we have a MFP group on there? I just created my garmin connect account so I'm a noob.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i have a 410. it does what i need it to. i'll wait till it dies to get something new. garmin connect however is useless so i don't even bother logging in anymore except to check the distances of courses i want to run.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Many use Garmin Connect, but don't do anything socially there. We do have a Strava group though. Join Strava (it's free) and you can have it automatically import your runs from GC. After joining Strava, request to join our group. https://www.strava.com/clubs/myfitnesspalclub
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Whaaa? I had no idea there was a Strava group? Totally requested.
    Oh - and I've got a Garmin 310 - works great for multisport and I liked that it is waterproof for my swimming. The only downside is sometimes it takes longer than I'd like to find a satellite signal, but c'est la vie.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Garmin 225 coming out this summer? It's got a wrist-based heart rate monitor based on the Mio heart rate tech embedded in the watch (something about skin reflectivity/transmissivity as heart rate increases). My 210 is still working, but old and sometime struggles to get enough satellite signal.

Anyone have any experience with the Mio tech in general? Thoughts?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    99clmsntgr wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Garmin 225 coming out this summer? It's got a wrist-based heart rate monitor based on the Mio heart rate tech embedded in the watch (something about skin reflectivity/transmissivity as heart rate increases). My 210 is still working, but old and sometime struggles to get enough satellite signal.

I've been very interested in this tech as my girlfriend has... issues... with traditional strap based HRMs. From what I've read, the best option is to add something like this to your ANT capable GPS watch: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scosche-antbluetooth-optical.html

This form factor seems to have fewer problems with light leakage than the ones built into the watch.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

The Mio sensor is in my TomTom Runner Cardio 2014 model. It's worked great. The band on the watch is designed to help block light leakage. All readings have seemed accurate and I haven't seen any dropouts in the results. The only thing is, especially in summer, my arm gets really sweaty under it, so I sometimes slip the watch down a little, wipe the sweat off, then slide the watch back up in place. I don't think the sweat is affecting the results, but it gets kind of gross. You have to wear the watch tight on your arm. I have it a few inches above my wrist.
  • moulesmariner
    moulesmariner Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a FR220 and use a scosche rhythm+ for HR, I have nothing but good things to say about either product but the FR225 would mean one less piece of tech to maintain/carry. The nice thing about the Scosche is that you wear it on the arm just below or above the elbow which I find far more comfortable...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I decided to wait for the 225.... Heard it's not out till mid July though :cry:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have a FR220 and use a scosche rhythm+ for HR, I have nothing but good things to say about either product but the FR225 would mean one less piece of tech to maintain/carry. The nice thing about the Scosche is that you wear it on the arm just below or above the elbow which I find far more comfortable...

Thanks for posting this. I have the FR220 and this looks like a good alternative instead of replacing the entire unit. My current chest strap HRM has been doing some really wonky things lately. It's been giving me insanely high readings at the beginning of my run and it slowly drops down to where it should be, but it takes about 5 minutes to get there. It also struggles to pick up my heart rate sometimes. Yesterday I had it on and it was reading my HR fine for about 5 minutes prior to starting my run. Then I started it and the HR shot up to 192. Does anyone know if this could be the battery?