So frustrated with doctors!

Options
BackwoodsMom
BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
Anyone else have frustrations with doctors' comments about menopause and weight? My primary (male) said it just comes down to calories in/calories out. NO IT DOESN'T!!!! When I went in for my pre-colonoscopy appt I mentioned to the dr (female) that I was trying to figure out how to lose with menopause. She just laughed and said, "Yep."

Has anyone found a way to get better info on what my body is doing and needs?

Replies

• clarklynch
    clarklynch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No answers here but I can barely eat 1200 calories without gaining. I asked for a note on my chart that says I know I'm fat, I know what to do, don't mention Iit.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I kept stats of what I was eating, what I was burning (per my Fitbit One-23-2400 cals per day) for two years...eating at 1850-2000 cals per day and working out. I took it to my doctor and said besides being peri menopause..tell me why I am not losing oodles of weight, when I should be!!She looked at all my numbers and Said..you may not be eating enough!! What??!! So she set me up with a dietician and told me to bring the same data there. I was skeptical to go to another dietician as the last one told me to eat 1800 calories and don't eat back exercise calories!! Look where that got me!?! The day before my appointment I read up on the Eat More 2 Weigh Less boards and consulted with someone there. They guesstimated that I am more active than my Fitbit was reporting and start by trying to eat 2150 calories!! The next day I went to the dietician and she was shocked by all my data!! She too recommended I eat more-2100. Since then I upgraded to the Fitbit Charge HR...found this Fitbit to be reporting an average daily burn of 2700!! This last month I have been averaging approx 2150 or a bit more and I have lost. It's slow and in smaller amounts but I am losing weight and inches! With an average burn of 2700 I will be upping my Cals again!! Yikes!! So yes, I feel your frustration but finally think or hope that I can figure this out on my own without paying a weight loss center! Best of luck to you!!
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    From what I've read, and how I am losing... adding a probiotic (acidophilis) daily and ensuring that meals are mostly protein and lower carb (not no carb) is key. For some reason carbs are not friendly during menopause. PS fruits are carbs.... so are many veggies.... you have to google low carb to fully understand the breadth of what low carb entails. I didn't realize that some veggies (other than potatoes) are carb based... boy was I wrong!
    PS I have been on MFP over 700 days... I am losing very slowly so that I will not have excess skin after weight loss. PS... I go to the gym 3 times per week and work out for 50-70 mins. per time...this includes weight lifting and cardio. I do not eat back my workout calories and MFP has me on 1280 calories per day for 1 lb. per week of weight loss. In my 20's and 30's that would have been 1lb. per day at this same regime and calorie deficit.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    @DigitalDiana yes I too "try" to eat lower carb, not always but I try. I notice if I cut back on carbs I feel less bloated too. Yes corn and peas are a starch must eat those within reason. Bananas are high in carbs too.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is behind the times if he does not recognize that there is a weight gain component to menopause. I am on HRT and lift weights and hike. There are studies that show that women on HRT gain less abdominal fat. HRT would not have an impact if it were merely calories in/calories out. My weight loss has been minimal, but over the past two months that I have been on HRT and lifting/hiking, I have lost two inches around my abdomen. If you are working out, lifting helps to stimulate hormones and prevent osteoporosis. Insulin resistance may account for carb intolerance and also contributes to abdominal fat. Insulin resistance is related to age and hormones. You might want to find another doctor with more experience with menopausal health issues, but I know it is hard.