What are your kitchen staples?

Options
SlimBride2Be
SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
what are the things you HAVE to have in the kitchen to make sure you stay on track. I realised in the supermarket today that I have to have a few things always stocked up.

They are:

Smoked salmon
Avocados
Coconut oil
Beef biltong
Nuts
Eggs

As long as I have those I have a tasty meal I can knock up quickly and feel good!

What about you?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Meat
    Butter
    Cheese in one form or another (though I'm trying to cut down some)
    Vermont Real Sticks (Vermont Smoke and Cure)
    Tuna
    Mayo
    Seasonings/spices
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    What is beef biltong?

I always have eggs, bacon, heavy whipping cream, ground beef, beef steaks around, plus usually some sort of pre-cooked meat for quickies. Right now I have a whole smoke beef brisket portioned into 4.5 (snack) and 6 (more meal appropriate) portions, plus a kielbasa ring.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil
    Eggs
    Spinach
    Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt
    Canned sardines
  • SlimBride2Be
    Options
    Beef biltong is a kind of jerky. It's the lowest carb one I can find in the UK. It's pretty good!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    It's available from Trader Joe's if anyone in the US wants to try it. That's the only place I've personally found it.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I see lots of folks use a fair amount of coconut oil. What's up with that? Is it just for sautéing, or is there something else going on here?
  • SlimBride2Be
    Options
    Lots of people use it for Paleo baking (I don't Paleo bake; I occasionally give myself a few carbs for high quality chocolate instead) or putting in coffee for BPC (a fat hit in your coffee). You can also use it for fat bombs to up your fat if you're so inclined. It's also nice to sauté with but my main use is BPC although I don't do that often
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Coconut oil
    Olive oil
    Eggs
    Frozen salmon, tilapia and chicken thighs
    sardines, smoked oysters or mussels,
    kale,spinach and spaghetti squash
    bacon and sausage
    tuna
    mayo
    broccoli and cauliflower
    onions
    lite salt (for the potassium)
    avacado
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Butter
    Coconut Oil
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Mayonnaise
    Sour Cream
    Guacamole
    Mustard
    Ranch Dressing
    Fresh Meat (whatever is on sale that I can stomach and figure out how to cook :wink: )
    Frozen Meat (chicken breasts, preformed burgers, etc... you know, throw-in-the-oven convenience foods)
    Veggies (whatever I fancy when I'm at the store--usually frozen spinach and frozen broccoli, salad vegetables, sometimes indulgences just for me like portabello mushroom caps, avocado, asparagus, tomato)

:smile:
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    HWC
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Avocado
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil
    Chicken
    Smoked salmon
    Almond flour
    Spinach
    Cauliflower
    Zucchini
    Brussels
    Mushrooms
    Beef
    Butter
    Pink salt
    NoSalt
    Nuts

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    • Ground beef (75/25)
    • Steak (usually chuck, but this week it's ribeyes)
    • Coffee

That's pretty much it. Throw in a few pounds of bacon and maybe a couple dozen eggs, and you've got my food covered most months. I wish I was joking. But, those two things are basically what I live on most days.

I did have some cheese today. Shh, don't tell the people doing the no dairy challenge, because I suck at avoiding it even when I know it causes problems. I only had it because my wife bought it and didn't realized it was smoked. She hates smoked foods.

I will have chicken, lamb, ribs, and other meats. But, they make only a rare showing.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    • Ground beef (75/25)
    • Coffee

I've been buying the 96/4 ground beef for so long, it never occurred to me that I don't have to anymore. Lol
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    • Ground beef (75/25)
    • Coffee

I've been buying the 96/4 ground beef for so long, it never occurred to me that I don't have to anymore. Lol

Go for the fattier stuff, you won't regret it. So much juicier and filling. Plus, it's just better tasting and better for you. The only downside? My grill has a tendency to catch fire until the drippings burn off.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I see lots of folks use a fair amount of coconut oil. What's up with that? Is it just for sautéing, or is there something else going on here?

I like the way my eggs taste in coconut oil more than butter, I also put some in my tea, a mini-bulletproof tea I guess.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    All cuts of beef and pork, chicken, turkey, salmon, our local walleyed pike ( pickeral), seafood, elk and moose when I can get it, bacon...my freezer is always packed with meat !

Eggs by the dozens and mayo always in the fridge, cheese, heavy whipping cream, tons of butter both salted and unsalted, coconut oil, bacon fat for cooking.

We now eat less and less vegetables and fruit, but we always have frozen berries in the freezer, and a few leafy greens like spinach in the fridge, cauliflower and broccoli, and brussels sprouts.

We stay away from processed deli meat unless we can get it homemade without chemicals. I have homemade sausages in about 6 different flavours, bologna and turkey deli meat made by my farmers in the freezer.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Avocado, tomato, onion, peppers, spinach, eggs, tuna, coffee, hwc, torani, MIO, butter, coconut oil, sharp cheddar, babybels, greek yogurt. Beyond that are things that just rotate out as I feel like it or it's on sale, but those are the every week groceries.
  • JEAML
    JEAML Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    Coconut Oil
    Cinnamon
    Flax
    Eggs
    Butter
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Tuna
    Olives
    Cucumbers
    Lettuce
    Olive Oil
    Balsamic Vinegar
    I live in a South American country where healthy food is fairly expensive, and coconut oil is outrageously so, but good health is priceless!!
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Oils - olive, coconut and walnut
    Salami
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Pickles
    Olives
    Cream
    Butter
    Peanut butter
    Avacado
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Butter
    Eggs (we go through almost 90 a week!)
    Colby cheese, brie cheese
    A very dark chocolate
    Sour cream
    Cream
    Cream cheese
    Chicken
    Minced beef
    Canned tuna and salmon
    Sugar free lollies (candy) and soft drinks
    Coffee
    Brocolli

Those are my basics. I hate peanut butter and bacon doesn't agree with me. We had a fight and I lost the other day.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    Butter
    Mayo or ingredients to make it.
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Spinach
    Cauliflower
    Ground beef, as fatty as I can source,
    Cream
    A sharp cheese for grating
    A specialty cheese for variety
    Mozzarella
    Parmesan
    Eggs
    Soy Sauce
    Bacon
    Two whole chickens a week for braising/rendering/stock (gets me 1-2 cups of chicken fat for frying, two cups of fabulously thick, gelatinous bone-broth in the pan without having to make stock, bones for stock and soup making, plus two chickens worth of meat ready to go for snacks and meals for two people.)