Do you weigh cooked or uncooked?

Options
SazzySuze
SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
For those of you that weigh your food, do you generally use the pre-cooked weight or weigh after cooking? Some things don't change much by cooking but other things, say bacon, there's a huge difference in the weight. Unless you plan on drinking all the leftover bacon grease, you're not actually consuming all the calories that's in the pre-cooked weight. Is that correct or am I just totally off base here? How do you weigh your food?

Replies

• SazzySuze
    Options
    And am I correct in thinking that the calories on the package are the calories pre-cooked?
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    For recipes I use the raw options in the database.
    for bacon, there is a USDA "pork bacon pan fried option", so I use that. If I'm eating roasted chicken I use the "chicken, breast, meat only, roasted" option.

veggies, I use raw measures.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Good question, I can never figure it out
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Anything I can weigh raw that makes sense, I do so: steaks, chops, burgers, individual pieces of boneless chicken (ie thighs), kielbasa.

Other things I use cooked weight: bacon (in grams), bits of any large roasted meat (beef, pork, whole chickens), bone in chicken legs/thighs.

• SazzySuze
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'm a numbers fanatic and long for accuracy. I think maybe I will weigh things with fat after cooking and things without fat before cooking. That seems to make the most sense based on your responses.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    IF I find a RELIABLE value for the coking process I am using, I will use that, otherwise, I weight before and use the raw value... So I weight fish and meat raw, unless of course I buy it cooked. Veg, I have a tendency to use the cooked values.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    In the database, the USDA entries are the ones without the * in front. While not perfect, I try to use those as much as possible, for cooked and raw entries.

I do end up using the bacon fat for other things. That has a USDA entry of "animal fat - bacon"
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    Well, i don't know, i made burgers and weighted raw patties to be at 4oz exact. I grilled them and they turned into 2.8 oz patties. So what does one enter??
  • kuranda10
    edited May 2015
    Options
    well there is the "Beef ground patties raw" choice
    or
    "beef - ground patties cooked"
    In this instance, since I am not eating the fat drippings, I would go with cooked. They even have different choices for the different lean/fat%
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I always do meats cooked, veggies, dairy, and fruits raw
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Yep, always weight/measure raw and/or dry to account for water loss/gain during cooking.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I've done everything raw apart from chicken drumsticks and some roast lamb my grandma made for me once.

I ripped all the burning hot meat off my drumsticks once until I realised I could just weigh them before eating and then minus the weight of the bones when done to get theweight of the cooked meat. Duh.
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I've done everything raw apart from chicken drumsticks and some roast lamb my grandma made for me once.

I ripped all the burning hot meat off my drumsticks once until I realised I could just weigh them before eating and then minus the weight of the bones when done to get theweight of the cooked meat. Duh.

LOL, i have not done that, but if there is a bone, it must be weighed before and after :)
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    Well, i don't know, i made burgers and weighted raw patties to be at 4oz exact. I grilled them and they turned into 2.8 oz patties. So what does one enter??
    That's exactly my problem. I don't know which to do. Beginning to make sense to me, though, to weigh those after cooked since we're not eating the grease.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    minties82 wrote: »

LOL, i have not done that, but if there is a bone, it must be weighed before and after :)

Haha...I always thought that the weight was including the bone. Silly me.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Yep, always weight/measure raw and/or dry to account for water loss/gain during cooking.
    That somewhat makes sense. However, with many weights I'm not just losing water. Go back to the bacon example. There's an extreme amount of grease left in the pan. How do I account for that if I weigh the bacon raw?
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    My theory is, enter what goes in your mouth, and i don't eat raw food
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Rather than trying to get it spot on, the best thing is to make sure you do it the same way each time. Consistently measuring the same way will give you repeatable results that you can use to adjust your calorie goals. So, with bacon, yes, some grease stays in the pan, some stays on your plate, some water loss occurs during cooking ... so pick a calculation for bacon that makes sense to you, let's say it's 45 calories cooked. You should then always log your bacon as 45 calories per slice and don't bother with weighing each piece, or weighing the leftover fat in the pan, or worrying about the bacon at a restaurant and whether it's crispier than the bacon you make at home.

Some stuff should always be weighed, like dry rice or whatever. Some stuff you might have two standards for, like bone-in skin-on chicken thighs vs. boneless skinless chicken thighs.

Success in the long run will come from your consistent standards. Then, whether you want to gain or lose weight, you can change your calorie goal, and know how much of your food choices can be fit in, like little modules.