Medication for binge eating and co-occurring disorders

Options
slaite1
slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
So I have suffered from moderate to severe depression for the last couple of years. I also have anxiety. My binging had gotten extremely out of hand and I have gained over 20 pounds. At this point I am binging almost every night and the longest I go is two nights without a bunge.

All that being said-has anyone been prescribed medication for their binging? I just got back into therapy with a counselor and am seeing the psychiatrist in about a week. This is basically just to get on a new medication regime. In the past, antidepressants have been helpful for only a short period of time. Eventually they stop working, I fall apart and my binges go back to occurring nightly.

I want to discuss possibly using vyvanese (because I am terrified of topomax) but I know I need to treat the depression first and foremost. So I am wondering if anyone else has co-occurring disorders and/or has had any success with medication. Thanks for reading this jumble of thoughts :smile:

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Im personally against all medication, but maybe this thread on amino acid supplementing will be interesting to you http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10119079/amino-acid-experiment#latest
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I take prozac every day, for my anxiety disorder. I was also prescribed xanax to take as needed when I feel a binge coming on. I often forget to take the xanax, but it does help me. However, my binge eating is brought on by stress/anxiety/feeling helpless. If you binge out of anger/boredom/something else, I cant say it will help.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I also do non medication type therapy at home, doing yoga, journaling,coloring mandalas (I have a few coloring books), and I have a book about overcoming binge eating, called "the rules of normal eating" that I use.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    They use Vyvanse now for binge eating and it works wonders!
  • stellalunag
    stellalunag Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I took Vyvanse. It pushed my blood pressure up into the hypertensive range, so I had to quit it. Was a shame, too, because it was helping.
  • stellalunag
    stellalunag Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also took Topamax. Had to quit that, too. Gave me word-finding problems (anomia). Wouldn't be a problem if I did ANYTHING else for a living; I'm an English teacher.
  • slaite1
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to ask about vyvanese and see if I can take it while also taking an antidepressant (or perhaps instead).
  • anitawoelfel
    anitawoelfel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues. I took Wellbutrin for a few yrs and it helped. When it quit working my dr switched me to cymbalta. I take xanex and night and it helps me sleep. However, once the xanex kicks in, that's when I'm most likely to binge. Almost like I am eating to fight sleep, to stay awake a little longer and enjoy relaxing and watching netflix. I also take generic adderal for add ;). It says online that cymbalta w/ amphetamines can cause seritonin syndrome, which scared me. But my dr said it's so rare he's never seen anyone who has it. So far in 6 weeks I've lost abt 12 lbs w/o even exercising ( however I have a balls out physical job) and just focusing on eating healthy foods instead of junk. Good luck. Just be mindful. Drugs are not always the way to go. You have to determine if the possible side effects are worth risking it to improve your condition.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    So I have suffered from moderate to severe depression for the last couple of years. I also have anxiety. My binging had gotten extremely out of hand and I have gained over 20 pounds. At this point I am binging almost every night and the longest I go is two nights without a bunge.

All that being said-has anyone been prescribed medication for their binging? I just got back into therapy with a counselor and am seeing the psychiatrist in about a week. This is basically just to get on a new medication regime. In the past, antidepressants have been helpful for only a short period of time. Eventually they stop working, I fall apart and my binges go back to occurring nightly.

I want to discuss possibly using vyvanese (because I am terrified of topomax) but I know I need to treat the depression first and foremost. So I am wondering if anyone else has co-occurring disorders and/or has had any success with medication. Thanks for reading this jumble of thoughts :smile:

No disrespect at in any shape or form, but if the medications stop working then shouldn't you find something outside of medicine that will work? I have binged my whole life, suffered from depression/anxiety for many, many years, everything. I have seen what medication does from people in my family that have taken it - it's not worth the habit or money in the end. It just keeps you in a huge loop, your symptoms get better for a little bit but then it stops and you're back to feeling even worse - up your prescription and it happens again, again and again. In the end you have to get off it and figure out WHY (deep down) you are feeling how you do = more money and effort that could have been avoided if you just did this in the beginning. I think it is good that you are going to a therapist but if it just for medication...don't want to take meds for the rest of your life, right?? I have overcome my depression by thinking outside of the box - no medicine, just some good soul searching. Took me years to finally feel like a new person again, but in the end it was worth all the tears and being uncomfortable confronting my feelings. Good luck on your journey <3
  • loribethrice
    Options
    I also took Topamax. Had to quit that, too. Gave me word-finding problems (anomia). Wouldn't be a problem if I did ANYTHING else for a living; I'm an English teacher.

I took Topamax for migraines. They nicknamed it "Dope-A-Max" for a reason! It works great if you can get through the fog.
  • slaite1
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »

No disrespect at in any shape or form, but if the medications stop working then shouldn't you find something outside of medicine that will work? I have binged my whole life, suffered from depression/anxiety for many, many years, everything. I have seen what medication does from people in my family that have taken it - it's not worth the habit or money in the end. It just keeps you in a huge loop, your symptoms get better for a little bit but then it stops and you're back to feeling even worse - up your prescription and it happens again, again and again. In the end you have to get off it and figure out WHY (deep down) you are feeling how you do = more money and effort that could have been avoided if you just did this in the beginning. I think it is good that you are going to a therapist but if it just for medication...don't want to take meds for the rest of your life, right?? I have overcome my depression by thinking outside of the box - no medicine, just some good soul searching. Took me years to finally feel like a new person again, but in the end it was worth all the tears and being uncomfortable confronting my feelings. Good luck on your journey <3

Medication would act as a supplement to therapy-not in place of it. With mental illness their are often physiological reasons to use medication-think severe depression, disabling anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenics. I actually do take offense to your post because I see a lot of assumptions. Is medication over prescribed? Yes, obviously. Can mental illness always be cured without it? A big, resounding no.

I, too have seen many family members on medication. Did it change them? Did it sometimes not work as well? Yup, it was a challenge at best. But I can assure you the alternative was worse. Saying "soul searching" alone can cure depression is dangerous. I'm very glad it worked for you-but for many it is not enough.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am the OP of the amino acid thread. I would recommend that you check out Julia Ross's books "The mood cure" and/or "The diet cure". I have found that supplements including amino acids do help control the occurrence and severity of binges. The aminos work on increasing feel good chemicals like serotonin and dopamine which helps with the depression as well.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've been on Vyvanse for 3 weeks, specifically for B.E.D. and it's working brilliantly. I have had zero desire to binge since my first dose.

My first 2 weeks I had dry mouth but I've upped my water intake and no longer have that side effect. I have no other negative effects at this point.

I had to adjust the dosage and time of dosing, with my doctor's help, to optimize the effect.

The drug is actually making it easier for me to address the other behavioral issues behind my B.E.D.
  • loribethrice
    Options
    walkdmc wrote: »
    I've been on Vyvanse for 3 weeks, specifically for B.E.D. and it's working brilliantly. I have had zero desire to binge since my first dose.

My first 2 weeks I had dry mouth but I've upped my water intake and no longer have that side effect. I have no other negative effects at this point.

I had to adjust the dosage and time of dosing, with my doctor's help, to optimize the effect.

The drug is actually making it easier for me to address the other behavioral issues behind my B.E.D.

Does it cause you rapid heart rate or anything like that? I know it's technically an ADHD med and those tend to make that happen. I want to look into it for mine, but since I have underlying tachycardia it makes me a little nervous! I love to see that it's working for you though!
  • walkdmc
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It has not caused any noticeable change in my heart rate. I don't believe I have ADHD, although several immediate family members do, but it really helps keep me focused! After starting it, I was able to sit through a long, sometimes boring, conference, and actually pay attention. In that way, I'm able focus on my behaviors that may have resulted in bingeing. Prior to Vyvanse I got caught up in chasing my emotions, anxiety over feeling hungry, disappointment over bingeing, etc. on Vyvanse those emotions aren't significant enough to drive my behavior. For the first time, I'm able to take emotions out of the equation and it feels so liberating.

Also, that "all or nothing" thinking bingers are known for, is completely gone. If I go over my calories by X amount I don't dwell on it and use it to binge.

I hope you find something that works for you!
  • slaite1
    Options
    It has not caused any noticeable change in my heart rate. I don't believe I have ADHD, although several immediate family members do, but it really helps keep me focused! After starting it, I was able to sit through a long, sometimes boring, conference, and actually pay attention. In that way, I'm able focus on my behaviors that may have resulted in bingeing. Prior to Vyvanse I got caught up in chasing my emotions, anxiety over feeling hungry, disappointment over bingeing, etc. on Vyvanse those emotions aren't significant enough to drive my behavior. For the first time, I'm able to take emotions out of the equation and it feels so liberating.

Also, that "all or nothing" thinking bingers are known for, is completely gone. If I go over my calories by X amount I don't dwell on it and use it to binge.

This was a great description. I was put on an amphetamine (by a very stupid counselor) and I only lasted a day bc the effect was shocking. I think if I had been prepared I could have tried longer. I became jittery, talked too much and just felt like I was on drugs! I'm glad to hear you did not have their experience on Vyvanse.
  • walkdmc
    Options
    Thank you and sorry you weren't prepared well for your drug treatment, that stinks.

There was a funny thing that happened on day 1. I was very happy, lots of energy and drove past a groundhog walking in a field. I got this crazy urge to cuddle the groundhog, like pull my car over and approach this wild animal! I did not do that but I never had such an urge despite seeing them all the time. I'm happy to say I haven't had any similar urges since.
  • loribethrice
    Options

Thanks for this! I am going to call my PCP and have an honest conversation with her about everything that is going on and bring this up.