How to setup in MFP??

Options
Hello,
Please bear with me as I'm new to EM2WL and I'm trying to get things figured out.

According to the calculator, my BMR is 1584 and my TDEE is 2456. A 15% cut would be 2087. All this makes sense. I'm wondering, however, the best way to set up the numbers in MFP.

Do I pick "Active" and "1 Pound Loss/Week" under my diet/fitness profile? This gives me calories of 2030, which is fairly close to 2087.
Or do I simply enter 2087 in the caloric goal, and just forget about this part of my profile?

Also, I have a Fitbit that I did have linked to MFP. Since the TDEE already has activity built in, should I just unlink the two? Or do I need to see calories burned in case the number causes me to be under my BMR? For example, even under Active, today I earned 300 exercise calories. My net calories, however, was above my BMR. So, I don't need to worry about eating those calories back, correct?

Sorry! Any help or tips from more experienced members would be appreciated.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    As soon as you manually enter your eating goal - the activity level and weight loss goal don't enter in to any math at all, except when you finish your diary and are given (in 5 weeks) - and of course that won't be accurate anyway.
    Because MFP is unaware that you have an eating goal that already is based on doing a certain amount of exercise.
    MFP was designed to be used with no exercise expected until actually logged.

So really, if anything, you want settings that causes MFP to hit close to your TDEE estimate, with no weight loss goal entered.
    And then when you manually enter your eating goal - there's your deficit or weight loss amount that it will show.

You picked Moderately Active in TDEE chart, which is activity factor of 1.55 x BMR.
    MFP's Active level is 1.6, and as close as you'll get. So just use that one.
    No weekly weight loss goal.
    Exercise goal whatever, doesn't effect any math.
    After saving, then manually change your eating goal and macros.

But - before you do all that for your specific numbers, keep the method in mind, but first ....

Don't use a TDEE based on 5 rough levels from a chart you pick from, when you have a device trying to give you infinite levels - your Fitbit.

Use the weekly stats from your Fitbit report as to average daily burned.
    Then take off 15% for the eating goal.

Now - for that Fitbit TDEE to be best estimate, you must manually log on their site some activities depending on which device you have.

What device do you have, and what are your workouts?
  • WisconsinFlyAnglerGirl
    WisconsinFlyAnglerGirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge without the HRM. My Fitbit says my average TDEE over the past 30 days is 2512, which is in between Scooby (lowest) and MFP (highest) . So maybe I should go with that instead? Cut would be 2135. Dang. Thought of eating that much really makes me anxious!

My only workout is about 90 minutes of walking at least 5 days/week. Other activity is just household chores, chasing after 4 kids, and walking streams looking for fish. I recently purchased a strength training DVD, so I'm going to start doing that 2-3 days/week. Not yet sure if that will be in place of walking, or in addition to.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    TDEE 2512 / 1584 BMR (hopefully that was Mifflin) = 1.59 activity factor

That is mighty close to MFP Active, which is the 1.6 I referenced.

Very Active is 1.8, so you are not near that.

Leave the Scooby (or rather standard) TDEE levels out of the picture. While true Fitbit is above that Moderately Active level, it doesn't matter, because that math isn't used anywhere on MFP or by you since you have the Fitbit.
    Merely curiosity to confirm that indeed, you are not exactly at the 1.55 level of Moderately Active. But somewhere in there at least. But that could easily change.

So the non-HR model.
    You need to manually log all non-step based workouts on Fitbit to give a best TDEE estimate.
    Swimming obviously, rowing, biking, elliptical, lifting, stairmaster, climber, arc trainer, ect.

And you might confirm if access to treadmill, that the Fitbit sees the distance of a walk or run correctly within 10%, since steps means distance which is the ultimate foundation to it giving calorie burn for the whole day for all activity.