Not great at running but slowly improving :)

Options
Claire8614
Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
I have never been very good at running but i have lost a lot of weight and a lot of my friends on here keep on saying that i should start running.

So I have started the couch to 5k challenge and i am currently on week two..

Do you do it at your own pace, or go back a week because the app seems to speed up quite quickly in a short amount of weeks.

Claire

Replies

• MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of progress :) Second guessing yourself is the worst thing! You should be running at your own pace on each session, it is scary when you see the running times go up so quickly but you'll be surprised how well you take it ... keep at your own running pace, slow down or speed up but in that running interval keep it faster than your walking interval and you'll get there. I've done couch to 5k in the past and starting running again about a month or so ago ... I surprised myself by starting with 1/2 mile running (about 10 mins I think) to 2 miles yesterday! I guess it's muscle memory but also pacing myself :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    You don't even have to be faster than your walking interval, you just have to be running.
    If you think you're going slow enough, you still probably have to slow down some more.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Walking, one foot on the floor at all times, running at some point no feet on the floor. You can run slower than you walk. The key test is can you hold a conversation while in the running phase. If you can't, you are running too fast for this programme. Time on feet is required at this stage. Can you run too fast? Yes, your ego wants you to be a runner, your body is likely to be behaving like a newly born herd animal, all over the place. Allow your body and mind to get used to this running thing and you will be fine. Good luck on your journey
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    W7D2 today. Feeling proud.
    Having a problem with my app however. Have noticed it is out of sync, the screen will say I am supposed to have started running but the voice has not told me to start, then when it did I had been running for three minutes, 10 minutes in, then skipped the first 5 min prompt and was pretty close to the 10 minute one according to the screen, then it told me I still had 5 mins when I had 3, then said 2 at 1 minute left on the screen then when I stopped according to the screen it also said I had finished... So strange, I don't usually look at my phone when running but noticed the other day I had walked further than normal in the warm up, it was over 5 mins out that day..... Really wanted to finish with the app but might have to stick with my watch....
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oops that should have been in Daily Check In...Sorry
  • Claire8614
    Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A downloaded another app i thought the free one was pretty rubbish