Goal weight question

Options
melodyis4reals
melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
I have lost 17 pounds in the last six weeks! I am feeling pretty awesome. I am now only ten pounds away from my goal weight which is 150. I just checked a BMI chart and saw that a person at 5' 9" can weigh between 125-170. That seems like such a big range. How does one choose a reasonable and healthy goal weight?

Replies

• oliviakincke
    oliviakincke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I chose a weight that feels healthy and looks like I have a low amount of fat over my muscles. Honestly those weights dont matter if you strenght train because your muscle will make you weigh more. I chose the low end, whatever weight that makes me feel (not look) good in my clothes!
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I chose 125 because the last time I was close to that (3 years ago I hit 128 before gaining again) I felt pretty good with how I looked, but like I definitely needed to lose just a few more pounds. So this time I'll aim for 125 and then reassess.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The BMI chart says my healthy weight range is 107-145 pounds. I am currently down to 135.5lbs, which is a healthy weight for my height, but it feels too heavy for me and I'm still pretty badly out of shape. I'm aiming for 126lbs as my target weight, as it is the weight I always felt most comfortable at in my teens and early twenties. You're in a healthy weight range now - I'd say just go to the point you feel comfortable with your weight (obviously so long as it's not below 125!)

I wonder whether this sort of ideal weight calculator would be better. It keeps in mind frame size too. Which for me comes out as 114-127lbs as a healthy weight, which does seem much more appropriate.
    http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal weight based on:

-I used to weigh that and loved how I looked
    -it's at the lower end of my BMI, but not too low (I have a small frame, so the higher end doesn't feel or look good)
    -some arbitrary pulling out of a hat
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Personally I think bmis are bunk on an individual scale, but it's a good general population range. I'm 5'9" and 125lbs and am not even remotely unhealthy or even what anyone would call "thin". Bodytypes are different, just go with what feels healthy. But do remember that if you're striving to be firm/sleek instead of small and flabby, the number isn't going to matter :)
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies. My target is 150 for now, so I will see how I feel when I get there. I am beginning to strength train and up my cardio to get toned and build muscle.

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror. When I look the way I want, I stop trying to have a calorie deficit. :)
  • goodchapman
    goodchapman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My GW is 135. The lowest I've been is 137 but my body was at 140 for many years before I had kids. While at 140, I always felt as if another 5 lbs would have me looking quite lean, but the calculator i just tried put me between 127-141 so we'll see how I feel when I hit 135. I'm at 160 now.
  • amykarryn1
    amykarryn1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you should google "waist to hip circumference". This is a much healthier measure of health than BMI which doesn't take into consideration bone structure, muscle, etc. There are plenty of people walking around with healthy BMIs that are flabby. Many are discounting BMI as a 100% indicator of health.
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I took my amount of lean body mass (so you need to know your body fat percentage to do it this way), figured out about what body fat percentage I wanted to aim for, and figured out how much weight that would be if I managed to maintain my lean body mass. So for me, it worked out that 125 lbs should put me at about 20%. (Which sounds about right. That's what I weighed about a decade ago and I had pretty decent abs.)
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your ultimate goalweight has to be personal I think. I know as a shorter person I look dumpy towards the higher end of my BMI healthy range...so I am aiming for slightly lower. I'd imagine that a taller person might suit being slightly heavier and not running the risk of being 'gangly'!
    I'm in the dumpy stage now so really hoping the last few kilos drop off asap!! :-)
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes I think ideal isn't a thin ideal as most might think. I think I need to go about lower because I am small boned in my hips and I have no buttocks and small breast at 34B. If you are not showing ribs I think your not too thin.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and my happy weight is around 123-125. That is where I feel great and my size 6 Levi's fit just right. I am trying to focus on gaining muscle now, so the number on the scale is less meaningful. I would be very happy to weigh more and look better.

@melodyis4reals - Congratulations on your 17lb loss! Keep up the great work!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes I think ideal isn't a thin ideal as most might think. I think I need to go about lower because I am small boned in my hips and I have no buttocks and small breast at 34B. If you are not showing ribs I think your not too thin.

I show ribs at healthy weights. Not telegraphed through the skin, but some, if you look closely.

Heck, I have rolls and you can see ribs at my high sternum now. :)

I like to be 116-125.

I like my hip-to-waist circumference to be below .7.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" my goal weight is 128. I have heavy bones - built to pull a plow. and with 5 to go at 133 pounds I am pretty bony and good muscle definition. Waist is 26.5 and hips are 36.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I chose a weight on the mid to high end as I've never been at a healthy weight in my life. This has actually put me at a size 4-8 depending on the store and style of clothes (which is smaller than I ever thought I could be). I just focus on body recomp for now. I plan to wait at least a couple years of maintaining and exercising before losing any more and if then do it VERY slowly just to get rid of the remaining fat around my middle and thighs. But even at this weight my bones are sticking out on my upper body.

Stats: 5'7, 142-146 lbs
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So to add to what I wrote 6 weeks ago, I reached my initial goal weight of 125 and need to decide now what my next goal should be. I think it really is just a guessing game. At 148 I had no idea what 125 would look like on me. Now that I'm at 125 I see I still need to be a few more pounds down. I'm thinking I'll shoot for 118 with the understanding that I don't have to be set on that number. It's just a number and it's ultimately more about how I look and feel.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think BMI is a pack of SH** .

I know SO MANY people that according to their BMI, are obese. But they are some of the most fit and not overly lean people I've ever met. They have defined arms, six packs, strong legs and killer butts.

According to my BMI, I'm in the pretty high range of "Normal". Personally, I'm looking to be fit. Muscle is more dense than fat, therefore, fat has more volume. I weigh about 10-15 lbs more right now than when I got pregnant with my 4 year old. However, I'm 2-3 sizes smaller than I was back then.

Just some food for thought that the scale and BMI aren't everything. Better to take it with a grain of salt, I think.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I agree, Mrs. Schimmy. BMI is nothing more than a "fancy" version of the old height-weight chart.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree, Mrs. Schimmy. BMI is nothing more than a "fancy" version of the old height-weight chart.

Yes! I think it's sad that too many young girls fall victim to the scale mindset. Myself included!

I just want to show people that the number on a scale is NOT the end all-be all! Just like strength training won't make you look like a male bodybuilder. Cardio bunnies make me sad. :'(