Where do you usually run?

Options
Claire8614
Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
Where do you go when you are doing the couch to 5 k challenge.

Road running
Park
Treadmill

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Streets or trails near my house, with weekly parkrun.
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Road, going to do some trails when I have the 30 min run down.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Started in the gym (until aircon failed then I never used a dreadmill again), roads during the week, trails and parks at weekends. Same goes for post C25k.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    When I was doing C25K either roads near my house, or other roads. I was doing a lot of business travel so started identifying hotels that I could run from.

When I moved on to 10K I started running on trails, and now I'd say its about 60% trails.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Road. We lucked out with a mild winter so despite living in the mountains I was able to run outdoors consistently in January and February!
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    about 90% trails. the only time i run on the road is to get TO the trails or from trail to trail.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Roads, which are quite empty - we live in the outskirts. Not many trails around, just farms and roads.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    We have an awesome Greenway system here, so that's where I run the most. My road running is mostly at my local national park, although I ran 4 miles yesterday in a small town near where I live and was not passed by a single car, so that might be a future option too.
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Dreadmill..... I recently started using the gym and use the machines after my c25k... I have always found it hard to run outside. I hope that by the time I can run for 10 mins or so I'll transfer it outside...
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Park! I live quite close to the park, so it works out very well as I use the walk to and from the park for my warmup and cool down :)
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to live on the edge of some lovely parks and nature reserves, with paths solely for use by walkers, runners or cyclists.

I just wish it was less hilly! It's great on the downhill.....uphill.....is.....near.......impo...ss...i.b.....l...e :s
  • onehappypickle
    onehappypickle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I start from my back door and just run the sidewalks and streets around here. I try to go the same route for each day of the week, then when a new week starts, I'll change it up and run down a new street and a new route. Keeps me from going in a circle, lol.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Sometimes on the roads around my house but usually in the metro park system. There is a small park by my house that has a mile and a half loop that is half hills and half flat. If I run at work there is a huge metro park area with miles of trails. It is so big I have to bring a map so I don't make a wrong turn and get lost.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I did my C25K training on the treadmill because I trained over the winter. But once spring came around, I started to run outdoors, mainly on pavement but some gravel trails. I'd love to find a park-like setting with trails close to home.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Trails and roads. I alternate between three regular routes when I run. One is at school which is mostly trail except for crossing the parking lot to reach it. One is the "hard" path near my house that has a fairly sizeable hill, and a choice of road or trail along about 1/3 of it. The last is the "easy" path near my house which is all sidewalk, weaving in and out of my neighborhood.

I like having a variety so that my muscles don't adjust to any one route. I'll also alternate which direction I run each route every week, just to mix it up.

I just wish it was less hilly! It's great on the downhill.....uphill.....is.....near.......impo...ss...i.b.....l...e :s

Yep, I'm right there with you. There are some great trails near my house, but it's ALL hills, and steep enough that the downhill is as bad as the uphill. When I lose more weight and become a better runner, I'll start trying to tackle them. Probably start with a long walking hike once a week and go from there.

On the other hand, I signed up for a 5k in June that is along the beach. It's on a flat cement bike path, so I tell myself if I train on the hills, I'll be blazing on the flat path. Yeah, right. ;)

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i run outside on the roads and footpaths around my home.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, I signed up for a 5k in June that is along the beach. It's on a flat cement bike path, so I tell myself if I train on the hills, I'll be blazing on the flat path. Yeah, right. ;)

You will. Hills are speed and strength training in disguise. You'd want a few flat ground training runs, but if most of your runs were hilly, you'd be surprised at how easy the flat can become.
  • Claire8614
    Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies x
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Rubberised jogging tracks around the city : )

Treadmill @ Gym when the sandstorms hit!
  • ReginaPhelangie
    ReginaPhelangie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I run at a baseball field that has a paved walking path around the field. There's a little flat and a slight incline on one side, plus a bench I can keep my water and my dogs water bowl on so we can get drinks on the walking parts. Plus it takes about 3 minutes for me to jog around so when I'm feeling like stopping on my running parts I can look at the benches (one on each side) and know about how much farther I have to go before my time is up.