Keto in Kansas City, MO

Options
Teneko
Teneko Posts: 314 Member
Hey folks.

I'm heading back up to KCMO to visit family and was wondering if anybody in the area happened to have any suggestions for BBQ joints where my SO and I can pick up some 'Q that's not already slathered in sweet sauce or rub. Last time I was up up there, we were severely disappointed to discover that even the sauceless BRISKET was coated in a sugared rub. Blasphemy! We ended up stopping at Rudy's for some Texas-style smoked meats as soon as we got into Texas. :(

Now, I am already acquainted with non-BBQ restaurants that we can hit up for some food, but was hoping somebody might have some suggestions that is familiar with both the diet / lifestyle and the local KCMO offerings.

Thanks!

-T.

Replies

• Teneko
    Options
    No suggestions here...got one in the cross-posted keto forum. Aw man. I don't want to have to finally sign up and post on reddit or something. :(

I tried to edit my subject line here, but it wouldn't let me. Bleh.

-T.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Have you tried googling to see what chains are "diabetic" friendly? Restrictions can be similar.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I've never been to KC.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've been there but a long time ago, and when I was eating SAD, etc. I have extended family who used to live there, but they aren't Keto friendly, so wouldn't know.
  • Teneko
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah, I've been SAD in Missouri (Haha...sad in misery...) as well as seafood vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free...and now keto. KC is getting a LOT better about dietary restrictions and understanding, but low carb's still a bit hard to match up. Hrm. I hadn't thought about checking for diabetic friendly. Good suggestion!

-T.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Check out The Blue Moose. There are several locations in the Kansas City area. They have some low carb options on the menu. I actually like going to Logan's and getting their 20 ounce bone in Ribeye steak. They also have a bone in Porterhouse steak. You can't go wrong with steak.
  • Teneko
    Options
    Oh yeah, I know most of the steak places are going to be fine. We like Outback and Logan's and places like that, for sure. Just hoping to find some BBQ that isn't coated in sugar.

-T.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Jack Stack BBQ offers unsauced or dry ribs. They have three locations in KC, MO.
    jackstackbbq.com/splash-stores.aspx
  • aholt7286
    aholt7286 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kansas City barbeque by definition (besides the hickory smoke) is the thicker, sweeter sauce and rubs.....so I would guess it would be much more difficult to find low carb KC style barbecue. That being said I know Jack Stack does have low carb on their menu and they make a low carb sauce (but make a reservation or the wait is long), but also you can try Danny Edwards Boulevard BBQ......his dry rub doesn't have sugar in it.... and he offers a low carb platter on the menu....but I believe they are only open during lunch.

Good Luck!!
  • aholt7286
    aholt7286 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also, most places you can order the chicken.....and there's no sweet rubs or sauce on them....only smoky deliciousness!!
  • Teneko
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Excellent advice, folks! Thanks a ton. My fiance is a brisket lover and was really bummed last time we went to KCMO because everywhere we went had sugar on it.
    I grew up with the sauce and LOVE how KC style sauce tastes, but it's off limits for the two of us now.

Bad news, though. I just called Danny Edwards and they said the brisket has sugar in the rub. :(
    Darn it.

-T.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    Excellent advice, folks! Thanks a ton. My fiance is a brisket lover and was really bummed last time we went to KCMO because everywhere we went had sugar on it.
    I grew up with the sauce and LOVE how KC style sauce tastes, but it's off limits for the two of us now.

Bad news, though. I just called Danny Edwards and they said the brisket has sugar in the rub. :(
    Darn it.

-T.

But how much sugar in the rub? Because if it is like 2 TBSP for an entire brisket, that is a totally manageable amount...

I'd ask for nutritional data! Or quantity of carby things...