Can I toot my own horn? (And pat you on the back.)

Options
gsp90x
gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
This is a success story. It is long, but not nearly as long as the 40 years of searching took to find success.

I really wanted to share this with everyone in the group today, not just in the NSV page.

Prior to the meativore may challenge I'm part of, I was tanking big time. Although my weight was staying stable after the 6 or so pounds I lost back in March, it started to go up quick the last week of April until basically I was back where I started. The depression and lethargy was hitting the hardest in recent memory, leaving me almost debilitated and screaming towards hopeless. My partner was seriously considering ending our relationship for various reasons but the biggest being I was, despite my best efforst, not the woman he met and fell in love with. My personality had changed and I had gained 60 odd pounds and couldn't do the things we loved to do anymore. Bless his heart though he was trying.

So with that lovely picture in your mind. I finally went back to the doctor. I've been going to doctors since I mysteriously came down with some "illness" when I was 14 and all of them every since told me it was in my head. All tests came back negative. They would say "Well look at it this way, now we know what you don't have". Great, but the problem was I didn't have anything. So I stopped going. You can only go so many times and see the exasperated look on your doctors face before you lose hope.

So, fast forward again to a few weeks ago, I relented and told the Beast I would try one more time. Maybe this new doctore wouldn't think I was crazy. She didn't. We talked. That was also the day I started zero carb. That also happens to be the day the rest of my life began. :)

Yesterday I saw the dietician. One of the many professionals my doctor has referred me to, to try and get me functioning again. So more to the point of this story, the dietician was nothing like the one I saw back in the day. She simply wanted to make sure I was getting all of my nutrients. I described my LCHF diet (not the meativore part, I thought that was too risky) and she simply suggested keep a variety of colored veggies and maybe take a calcium supplement just as a back up. Otherwise, she said listen to your body and if anything funky starts happening, call me so we can figure out what's missing! Can you believe it! Wow!

Now, the piece de resistance in the whole tale.....

Prior to this I had blood work done and EVERYTHING was perfect. Even some of them she found impressive. ZERO markers for inflammation, liver good, choleterol good, vitamin B good, glucose tolerance not even remotely near pre diabetic and on and on!!!

And add to that the asthma meds are starting to work, I'm sure the diet has been the key to that as well and my energy coming back, as well as the fog lifting from my brain and my pain going away! I'm running again every other day I've already lost noticeably weight and the Beasts attitude towards me is just like the old days.

And, I would like to add, that this community of people focused on success, positive action and solutions has made all the difference. This really is a fabulous group of people who have all contributed to my success.

I wish you all nothing but the best as you've helped me become the best me yet. And the journey continues.

Be well,
Bonnie

Replies

• Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is so great!! Congratulations on your success in so many ways!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    :drinker: That's awesome to hear!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Bonnie. Sending you massive hugs. Sometimes it takes some serious event to trigger us to try everything again we were terrified of. I'm so glad you are doing this for you, and we need to clone your nutritionist!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful story!! I'm so genuinely happy for you. I commend you for turning your life around for the best. Those who seek will always find. Big hugs and keep on staying on track!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    :joy:

I'm glad to hear things are turning around for you!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is so wonderful, Bonnie---I hear your joy! I'm so glad for all the positive changes you're experiencing. Thanks for sharing with us; very encouraging!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    B) This is so cool. Very happy news.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and high fives for your awesome progress!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and all the best to you! KCKO
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Great news. All the best to you!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    So very happy for you! I've had symptoms of chronic fatigue since I was 19 (caused by a month-and-a-half bout of mono). I gained 80lb pretty rapidly and was always tired. Doctors don't know and just said I was "depressed." So I know how you feel about that.

I was telling my best friend yesterday that you never really understand how bad you felt until you finally learn what "feeling good" is. Sometimes it has been so long since we really felt well that we have forgotten what that's like. And that improvements in health improve EVERYTHING else in your life, too.

Congrats and keep it up! The sky is the limit. :wink:

• yeswehave8
    yeswehave8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You rock, Bonnie!

I was diagnosed w fibro 10 years ago during my divorce. It's always felt like a cop out for not finding what's really wrong. I've been tested for many things, including MS and Lupus. I still don't have what I believe is an accurate diagnosis, but at least I'm feeling better most days.
  • gsp90x
    Options
    yep. I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue at 15yrs old. One day I was a super happy kid, the next day I couldn't talk or wak. I couldn't talk for about a month and I had a head ache almost every day of my life since. The diagnosed me with depression as well. Then CF. For myself, I've noticed any time I have a psychological improvement, namely loving myself more and beaing able to just accept things without blaming, labelling or judging (that last one is tricky because we're ALWAYS judging) my physical symptoms greatly improve. I still have minimal symptoms but I can see a direct correlation between my thoughts and my physical pain. So I spend a lot of time turning away from what causes negative emotion and towards what causes thoughts of relief. Usually just thinking about trees and flowers, appreciating. Really appreciating. I can now feel almost instant relief if I do that long enough and intently enough. I think the zero carb just gave me that last boost I needed to "let go" of all the shoulds and judgements around food (and kicked all the carbs out that I've known for years made me crazy). Some might say I am crazy, but, it's working. And without drugs!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    @gsp90x I'm wondering, if you are inclined to answer---do you plan to continue zero carb? You've had really impressive results that have convinced me to try it for a month. I'm desperate, too. But I don't know what would happen when someone returns to keto. Maybe they don't! ;) Thanks.
  • gsp90x
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lol.... maybe they don't. :)

I do plan to stay zero carb for a while. As FIT-goat mentioned, I don't totally think it's the zero carb per se, but I don't want to take any chances. I'm going to stay zero carb for.... the forseable future. Tentatively until I reach goal which is 155lbs. Though I'm a firm advocate of play it by ear. BUT, I can see myself adding veggies back in to some degree in the future. But it likely wouldn't be a daily thing. However, I feel for myself that may be a slippery slope at this point in time, so it's easier to just stay zero carb for now.

Also, zero carb is still ketosis, right? It's just the sliding scale of carbs. So, my tentative future plan once I"m totally rock solid, is to slowly introduce carbs. One food at a time and do another big experiment to see #1- how many carbs I can eat before adverse effects are observed #2 WHICH carbs (ie which veggies) can I eat. I think that will take a long time to do.

EDITed for ALL kinds of spelling mistakes! (and I probably still missed some)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Thanks so much! It sounds like a great plan to me and something I think I can do. I'm starting today, after dithering about it since before the May challenge started. Your experience was the tipper, so thank you. I'm 68, but I hope I have similar success. Keto has been very slow for me.

Best of luck to you for further success! :)
  • gsp90x
    Options
    @wheatlessgirl66 That's great! So... since I saw your post, it's been almost a week, how's it going?

I'm in shark week (searching for a thread that's already here because there must be) and I didn't lose anything leading up to this week. I guess that's not suprising. This week (actually period week) I'm STARVING and wanting to eat things other than meat, but when I actually get in front of them and say "ok, go ahead".... I don't really want to and I wait until I get more meat. It's an odd feeling. Craving craving but totally totally able to say no. Hope this is indeed simply because of shark week, because it's difficult to deal with to say the least. Super hoping the trend continues next week, even if it is 2lbs. I actually gained 2 back this week but not surprised. I feel HUGE and bloated. so weird. Makes you so much more in tune with your body. It's also been ridiculously hot here. So muggy my asthma is brutal. So, that that for what it's worth.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    @gsp90x---Thanks for asking. This is my 6th day and I've lost 2.6 lbs. I'm really pleased with that since it's the first real loss I've had since March. I kind of miss a few carbs like avocado and salsa, but I change my focus and leave them alone. I usually use up my protein macros before I get in enough fat, so I have to work on that. I'm so hoping that the loss continues! Feel free to look at my food diary and offer suggestions if you have any! You've done so well at this--I'm looking forward to the next check-in so I can read your/everyone's latest results!
  • gsp90x
    Options
    Hey! That's wonderful news! I'm so glad then that you tried it. That's how I was too. I hadn't lost in months and for whatever reason that I'm not sure of yet, the zero carb thing seems to be reliable for me over the last few weeks and I also hope it continues. Halleluja!

I'm not really good at macros and stuff. I don't track anything. That would drive me nuts. I just trust it's all going to work out. Maybe I would lose faster if I tracked things. I'm thinking maybe that will be my challenge for June, tracking things, just to see. But I'm happy with this month none the less. I will definitely be continuing for next month just the same. No experimenting with adding carbs or veggies. At least not for June. If anything I'll track and adjust macros and calories.

I know what you mean about missing the carbs, but yeah, when you see the weight come off, it makes it easier to focus on something else and forget the temptation. My shark week cravings were brutal. I did give in a bit and have some walnuts and a few pickles one night but all in all, I think I did pretty good. I slept a lot to avoid going off track.

I was frustrated with this week as I'll likely now be two weeks with no loss but I think the shark week thing kicked my butt. So, I'm hoping to get a "whoosh" effect in the next couple weeks before the next shark attack! We'll see. I guess you can't rush it. I am down several inches though despite the scale not moving.

The last two weeks I didn't lose weight but I did lose inches. So I wold strongly suggest you measure as well if you're not already! I seem to be averaging 1/2 inch per weeek on major markers like hips, waist, chest and bust. THAT has been consistent for all 4 weeks, :) That really gives me hope. Weight, 1 or 2 or 3 pounds here and there can totally be water, but when the inches are still coming off it really keeps my spirits up and gives me the strength to say no to the carbs.

HTH and I'm sooooo happy your leap of faith turned out well for you.

I hope it does continue for you!