Where are we from/Events

Options
stephenrhinton
stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
So I've discovered a couple of other Carolina swimmers through chance comments on the boards. It got me to wondering where everyone is at. If your comfortable with it how about post the city you live in and/or where you regularly practice. Who knows maybe one of you is that guy in the other lane that whose form I am always in envy of ...

Alternatively or longer term this thread might be a good place to post public events that any of us are planning to attend. Triathlons, charity swims, meets, etc.

I live in Greensboro NC

I swim routinely at the Gold's Gym on Wendover Ave

Sometime in the next year I'd like to do a triathalon, but I am still far away from that fitness level. So I haven't planned any specific event attendance.

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is a great idea, Stephen......

I live in Monroe, NY - about 50 miles north & just a touch west of NY City.....

I swim at the NY Sports Club gym on Rt. 202 in Garnerville (Haverstraw) NY. I have no plans on doing any events, I'm using my swimming for health reasons as opposed to competition.....
  • EmmaSlan
    EmmaSlan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm from Dublin, Ireland. I swim in the pool in a local gym (Westpoint) at the moment but eventually I hope to join a Masters club.

The National Aquatic Centre is just a short distance from my house and the facilities there are amazing...it's a proper Olympic competition pool. That is where I will be swimming on Friday for the Swim for a Mile Challenge Event. They have a Masters club there but I am not at that level yet, which is why I am planning to focus on improving my speed over the next few months.

As mentioned, I'm signed up for a mile swim but beyond that nothing planned...I don't fancy open water as I'd need a wetsuit and as I'm losing weight, it seems like a mad expense. So for now, it's a solitary pursuit!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm from Deland, Florida, which is about halfway between Orlando and Daytona Beach for those of you familiar with the bigger cities. I swim at our local YMCA both on my own and with the Masters and have recently branched out a bit to the Stetson University pool, although I have found the hours to be less than ideal there. I swim with a bunch of triathletes at the Y. I am not very competitive and I don't like swimming where I can't see the bottom so no triathlons for me! I plan to volunteer at a USMS swim meet sometime in the near future to see what it is like but I doubt I would actually swim at one. I'm not in it for the competition but the comraderie and the health benefits.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I am from Peace River, Alberta. Swim 90% of the time in the local Community 6 lane 25m pool.
    2 hrs drive West to Grande Prairie where I swim in the 25m x 4 lane or 50m x 10 lanes, a nice Deep Pool.
    The odd trip to Edmonton Alberta for work where I usually swim in the Kinsmen Swimming Pool.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Nairobi, Kenya!
    Hence my comment on wetsuits on the other thread!
    My swims are usually in a 25m pool, sometimes in a 33 m pool, and once in a long while in an Olympic sized pool!
    Open water swims are out! I love my life, and would not want it cut short by hippos, crocodiles, and some of the other aquatic wildlife I am likely to encounter in our lakes. Just saying...
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am in Pennington, New Jersey. Just last night I went out for pizza & beer whom I met through the US Masters website so this thread is definitely a good idea! I swim at the Princeton Fitness & Wellness Center, which is next to my work. Luckily, no hippos or crocodiles, but I have seen a fair number of strange creatures with big webbed feet and strange rectangular hands. Seems to be some kind of reverse evolution thing going on that may help our species survive global warming.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    West Coast of the US, anyone? I'm in Portland, OR. I swim at my local community center through the Portland Parks and Rec. I don't have any events planned. I am too new and slow, although there's nothing like a goal to get a person working harder!!
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Wow! North Carolina, New York, New Jersey, Florida, Oregon, Alberta, Dublin, Nairobi. Lots of places all over the world but swimming brings us together. :smile:
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It would be great if there was a way to REALLY bring us all together......
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    And there are lots of others who haven't replied to this thread yet, from London and other parts of England, Australia and lots of other places too! Great!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am a Londoner - live in central NW London (zone 2 of the tubes for those who know). Swim in a private gym (Nuffield) in Willesden which is only 20m long. The local public pool is 25m long, but a month's pass to that costs the same as my private gym and I get nicer facilities and free towels where I am :) Not having to wash towels regularly wins over the extra 5m.....
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Bethesda Maryland but currently live in Milan, Italy. I swim at a local community pool. Unfortunately no Masters team so hard to get a decent workout because lanes are always pretty crowded. I have swum on teams (age group and Masters) in Bogota Colombia, Bethesda, Washington D.C., Geneva Switzerland, New York City and in a small town just outside of Milan. I love the swimming community!
  • Robertus
    Options
    I'm originally from Bethesda Maryland but currently live in Milan, Italy. I swim at a local community pool. Unfortunately no Masters team so hard to get a decent workout because lanes are always pretty crowded. I have swum on teams (age group and Masters) in Bogota Colombia, Bethesda, Washington D.C., Geneva Switzerland, New York City and in a small town just outside of Milan. I love the swimming community!
    Wow, what do you do that takes you all over the world? I once swam and (regrettably) dove off the highest platform at the Olympic swimming pool in Munich. On my honeymoon in the Alps (in August), I swam in ever mountain lake we hiked past for 2 weeks.

• mpeters1965
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    I am a Londoner - live in central NW London (zone 2 of the tubes for those who know). Swim in a private gym (Nuffield) in Willesden which is only 20m long. The local public pool is 25m long, but a month's pass to that costs the same as my private gym and I get nicer facilities and free towels where I am :) Not having to wash towels regularly wins over the extra 5m.....

Free towels or 5m, that would be an easy decision for me, too!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Wow, what do you do that takes you all over the world? I once swam and (regrettably) dove off the highest platform at the Olympic swimming pool in Munich. On my honeymoon in the Alps (in August), I swam in ever mountain lake we hiked past for 2 weeks.
    My father worked for an international organisation (DC; Colombia, Switzerland), I worked in DC and NYC and MIlan as an economist and I met my husband while studying in the UK (Reading no swimming during that period).

The water must have been freezing in those Alpine lakes! But it is beautiful isn't it?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »

Free towels or 5m, that would be an easy decision for me, too!

Absolutely! I hate it when I'm behind in my towel washing!! (like today... and I have to use an old, thin towel)
  • Robertus
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    My father worked for an international organisation (DC; Colombia, Switzerland), I worked in DC and NYC and MIlan as an economist and I met my husband while studying in the UK (Reading no swimming during that period).

The water must have been freezing in those Alpine lakes! But it is beautiful isn't it?
    Yes, freezing, and yes, beautiful. I absolutely love the Alps in the summer time. Great hiking weather, but still plenty of snow on the mountain tops. The cheese and chocolate are to die for.

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Georgia here; I swim at a gym / pool (25YD), sponsored by the local Hospital (Wellstar)
  • Beneita
    Beneita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey Pals! I'm Beneita and I am from Jacksonville Fl. The sunshine state that is so hot I want to move to Alaska LOL! I swim for exercise to lose weight and regain my health! One lap at a time sweet Jesus!!!
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Adelaide Australia, I swim in a 25m indoor pool, and the sea, and I swim the Adelaide Australia day 2k jetty to jetty swim (Jan 26).