Strength Training Resource

Options
Anita672
Anita672 Posts: 32 Member
Hello all,

In the past, I have dabbled in using free weights and therabands (rubber bands). I have not successfully incorporated strength training into my exercise routine for the long term. I know the importance of it and want to give it another go. I'm interested in using the free weights I have at home and I'm someone who needs an outline (preferably visual) of the number of reps and sets I need to do. Is the beginner's strength training manual from EM2WL a good resource for me or is it more advanced than where I'm at now? Any other recommendations for beginner plans that I can follow on my own?

Thanks in advance all.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For simple program, 3 sets with 2-4 min rests between depending on size of muscle used, and 8-12 reps.
    Usually you start at 8 reps with load that almost causes failure on last few reps. Then each workout you increase by 1 rep. When you reached 12, you drop to 8 and increase weight by 5 lbs upper body, 10 lbs lower body. Work your way back up again to 12.
    That's progressive overload weight lifting.
    You start light and get form down, increasing fast but you want those reps for form.

But actually, if just starting, circuit training would actually be more of benefit because it burns more calories and empties out the glucose stores better, helping fat loss.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

Depending on time available, a 3 x weekly full body routine would be best if not circuit training, using compound lifts. Add isolated accessory stuff as time allows.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html

Use 2-day split if time is short and repeat 3 x weekly still. This may allow some cardio time if desired after the session for heart health.

If doing circuit training, pick full body alternating upper/lower and the 6 major lifts shown.
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Anita672 wrote: »
    Hello all,

In the past, I have dabbled in using free weights and therabands (rubber bands). I have not successfully incorporated strength training into my exercise routine for the long term. I know the importance of it and want to give it another go. I'm interested in using the free weights I have at home and I'm someone who needs an outline (preferably visual) of the number of reps and sets I need to do. Is the beginner's strength training manual from EM2WL a good resource for me or is it more advanced than where I'm at now? Any other recommendations for beginner plans that I can follow on my own?

Thanks in advance all.

Hey Anita! The EM2WL Beginner Strength Training Manual is for people just like you - beginners - so definitely not too advanced. Everything is laid out for you - how many reps for each set, how many sets for each exercise, when to increase weight, when to decrease weight, what exercises to do, in what order, video demonstrations and more. It also advises on nutrition! It takes ALL the guesswork out of strength training! You just follow the plan
  • Anita672
    Anita672 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Can I use the training manual at home with free weights or do I need to be in a gym? Thanks!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    For dumbbells only at home, from Eat,Train, Progress's moderator sarauk2sf :smile: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569 using dumbells only no bar.
    Should last you a good long while.