Finding a doctor

Options
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last May and have been on levothyroxine since then. I've also dealt with Chronic Epstein Barr for 17 years, so the fatigue symptoms are from both. I am under the care of a naturopathic doctor for the Epstein Barr and possible food allergies. She has recommended I continue the treatment for the thyroid issue, with hopes that once the other issues are under control the hypothyroidism may clear up. In the mean time I am still dealing with it.
After being overweight all through high school I had finally gotten in good shape and was able to enjoy that for a short time before the thyroid decided to spazz out. Now I'm about 20 pounds heavier than I'm comfortable with and no matter what I do the weight doesn't budge. My hair is back to being extremely dry and brittle, eyebrows are doing the vanishing act and I just feel like the levothyroxine isn't working, but my general practitioner says my levels are good. I think it's time to find a doctor who will work with me, any suggestions on how to find one? I'm in the Phoenix area.

Replies

• RedBec7
    RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Finding a good, helpful doctor for thyroid issues is so important but it's the hardest thing to do. It's been over 3 years since I was diagnosed and I'm still searching. I've been to 2 endocrinologists who were the least helpful people ever. They were both awful and said basically the same thing: "You have a thyroid issue but we're only going to look at your TSH level. It that looks okay to us and you still feel terrible than it must be something else. Go back to your regular doctor. Go away."
    My normal doctor would not do anything for the thyroid issue, just send me to the endos. I found another regular doctor who knows a bit more about thyroid and believes in looking beyond TSH at T4 and T3 and he was willing to prescribe meds with T3 which helped to a point. But he doesn't have much insight into why things fluctuate and what the symptoms mean and what to do beyond raising and lowering dosages. I had my last appointment with him in mid September and was super frustrating and completely unhelpful. Three days later I went to another regular doctor who is willing to prescribe Armour thyroid. I have my second appointment with her next week. We'll see what happens but I have doubts about here knowledge of the issues.

My advice would be to start calling doctors' offices and ask them about their experience with thyroid issues and how they treat patients, what blood tests they run, what types of thyroid hormones they prescribe (just t4 or t3 too). Get as much info as possible before you make the appointment to you're not wasting your time and energy on people who wont' help you.

Good luck!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Please have you thought of looking at the Stop the Thyroid Madness site. You can find information on all sorts of things starting with understanding the results of tests, if the doctor will tell you the numbers, There are addresses for US based doctors who are understanding and educated in Thyroid problems too.

On a side issue, I am Salicylate Sensitive. Many of the problems associated with dietary salicylate represent themselves as "allergy related". It is very difficult to find a doctor who is open to the concept of anyone having problems with aspirin which the medical society says is so very good for us. Salicylate is the active ingredient in aspirin, originally it came from the willow tree and problems have been recognised for a 100 maybe 150 years but medics seem to forget the pain relieving substance, in some can cause the pain it is supposed to relieve. Worse than this is its ability to sap the vitality causing lethargy and fatigue in those most readily affected. There is also a relationship with mood problems in principal because it is a "dose" related, total consumed amount related issue. Some of the problems I have, I think would put me at low level aspirin toxicity, like someone who has taken too many aspirins. Most people are not told of substance which is used by many plants as their protection from moulds and mildews. Many of the "good foods" are on the lists. Please look for the Salicylate Sensitive website. I have discovered it can compromise the thyroid too. The thyroids many activities include toxin elimination. There was a reference to "SS" on the UK thyroid support site and may be the US one.

I would actually prefer to be the only person with this problem but I know I am not it is an increasing issue. Please read and see what you think. All the very best.
  • carmelamadeleine
    carmelamadeleine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ask your friends, family and relatives about their experiences with doctors. Or if you go to clinics, ask nurses or staff the names of good doctors.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    A couple of suggestions for everyone. I purchased the book Living Well With Hypothyroidism by Mary J Shomon. I have found it to be very informative and it answered a lot of questions for me. Also check into Stop The Thyroid Madness Site mentioned above. A little over a yr ago I was experiencing very dry hair as well as losing it and my nails were just so brittle. I decided to buy Hair, Skin and Nails supplements from Costco...it is one pill and the Biotin in it has really helped me with all 3 of those areas. I had changed up my shampoo and conditioner, but all that did was give me skin issues from the oil from those products. I went back to my old products when I purchased the Hair, Skin and Nails supplement. Haven't solved my eyebrow issues, but hopefully this will help someone.