What did you buy that I didn't think of?

Options
MrsBailey149
MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
I've been doing Paleo for nearly 4 weeks now. I went strict paleo for 21 days and then veered off for the last 3 days. Back on today!

Besides the obvious fruits, veggies, meats, and nuts, what are some good things to have on hand? What should "my shelf" have at home?

Thanks!

Replies

• jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a variety of healthy fats. Coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, ghee, and saved bacon drippings are good examples.

Apple cider vinegar to add acid to dishes or make up a quick dressing for a salad.

Coconut aminos to add some umami to dishes.

Tins of tuna and sardines for quick and easy lunches.

I use an egg/beef protein powder as needed to keep my protein at my personal goals. Not at all necessary.

I have dried seaweed that I add to my daily bone broth every once in awhile to help with my iodine intake. Again, a personal choice and not at all necessary.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Grass fed gelatin to use in smoothies and for making deserts like homemade marshmallow, gummy bears or pudding.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    What I learned after almost three years of Paleo is that I got carried away. Too many things; too much money spent. I think the healthiest way to be Paleo is to keep it simple, skip the sweets and treats, minimize nuts, dairy, and most packaged foods in general. It's all about the animals and vegetables (well, only the animals for me) ideally.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I agree. Keep it simple. I keep nuts, Jerky, veggies and root chips on hand when I need a quick snack. Other then that it's eggs, chicken, fish, turkey and veggies. I do like my Julian peeler to make sweet potato or zucchini noodles.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My best advice (for ANY diet) is fill your shelf with stuff you'll actually eat. For example: You HATE bananas but someone told you they're awesome, so you buy some but you don't eat them and they go bad. or you force yourself to eat it because it's "healthy" . Maybe that's a poor example, but people do that A LOT.

Personally I am in love with coconut milk because it helps me get in my calories and fat. If you can find this brand I suggest it, it's preservative free and I buy it from my Asian market. Infact I bought a case of 12 today because the owner gave me 10% discount :wink:
    90-FOOD_113.jpg&h=220&w=290&zc=1
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Paleo for nearly 4 weeks now. I went strict paleo for 21 days and then veered off for the last 3 days. Back on today!

Besides the obvious fruits, veggies, meats, and nuts, what are some good things to have on hand? What should "my shelf" have at home?

Thanks!

Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, Coconut Aminos, Coconut Sugar/Stevia/Honey/Maple Syrup, Coconut Oil, Grass Fed Butter, lots of Herbs & Spices, Chia Seeds, Eggs, Coconut Milk..

Im sure there are lots more but my mind is blank

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Keeps cans of coconut milk in your fridge. The cream will rise to the top and be very easy to remove. This can be used to make whipped cream, ice cream, ambrosia salad, or stupid easy chocolate pudding! http://paleoapothecary.net/2015/04/21/stupid-easy-chocolate-pudding/comment-page-1/
  • MrsBailey149
    Options
    Thank you!!! I'm curious about ghee. How does it taste? Like butter? I'm making paleo pumpkin pancakes right now and wouldn't mind having a butter on top but all I have is margarine in the house. I'm nervous about a "butter" that's on a shelf and not fridge.
  • MrsBailey149
    Options
    What I learned after almost three years of Paleo is that I got carried away. Too many things; too much money spent. I think the healthiest way to be Paleo is to keep it simple, skip the sweets and treats, minimize nuts, dairy, and most packaged foods in general. It's all about the animals and vegetables (well, only the animals for me) ideally.

I like the idea of keeping it simple. It'll keep cost down. I did buy coconut flour for pancakes but I skipped on almond flour and some other oils besides coconut oil. I think I'll slowly stock my cabinets or I'll be spending far too much money.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I'm curious about ghee. How does it taste? Like butter? I'm making paleo pumpkin pancakes right now and wouldn't mind having a butter on top but all I have is margarine in the house. I'm nervous about a "butter" that's on a shelf and not fridge.

Depends on if you make it yourself (which is REALLY easy and super cheap by the way) or if you buy it. It tastes kinda like butter. It's got a strong yummy taste and a mild nuttiness. The worst thing you can eat is margarine. Oh and the reason ghee can be left out is the fact it doesn't have the milk solids in it anymore, it's just the fat. & to throw one more at ya, my great grandma kept her actual butter on the counter and would eat through it all month long. So did most people "back in the day" when they used like butter crocks. Hence why butter was always salted. I don't think you need to worry.

Me personally I have lard, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil, and rendered bacon grease all hanging out on the counter. Perfectly safe :wink:
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Some grass fed beef, local organic chicken, every kind of local organic veg I can get my hands on (unless my own garden is going strong), nuts, avacados. We have our own chickens and get eggs. I splurge on fruit and get what looks the best. Apples are portable. Seafood is also a splurge for me. Luckily we are in the pnw so there is a lot of good salmon but the good stuff isn't really that cheap. Veggies that can scoop hummus like carrot, celery, beans brocolli

Convenience foods are few and far between but I like broccoli slaw instead of spaghetti for family pasta night. Sometimes I buy washed salad greens in a bag. Coleslaw mix is handy. Green beans come prepped in a bag and I might buy that if I feel really lazy. Wholly guacamole is handy single serve of avacado without weird stuff and travels well. cans of tuna. Cans of sardines in hot sauce.