Presurgery Weight Loss

Options
Fightergurl76
Fightergurl76 Posts: 7 Member
I'm in the beginning stages of getting Gastric Bi-pass surgery. I've attended my informational seminar, had my first official weigh in, and have met with my nurse to go over everything.

The amount I need to lose is 22 pounds before I can have surgery. Of course I still have many other requirements to meet, but that one is going to be the most challenging. The next steps for my requirement is that I meet with a Nutritionist on the 1st of June. It hasn't stopped me from starting to track everything I eat and drink. Apparently the psychologist and physical therapist will call me to schedule an appointment and the classes come later.

I'm looking for friends who are going through the same thing as me, or maybe have already gone through it. :wink:

Look forward to hearing from you!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everything is going according to plan, and tracking now is a great idea! I changed my habits and lost 70lbs prior to surgery, and I really think it's what helped me to recover well and be successful. Also, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but to be realistic, if you feel that losing 22 lbs is going to be the most challenging thing you have to do, brace yourself. Pre-surgery is a merry-go-round of doctors appointments, weigh ins, tests, more tests, paperwork, more paperwork, and on and on, and post surgery, there will be a lot of adjustment. It's ALL worth it, I would do it all over again, but really try to mentally prepare for change, and be prepared for the unexpected, because this journey is different for everyone. The main thing is, do what your surgeon and his team tell you to do. They know. Sounds like you are already doing everything you should, so I am sure you are going to do great!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi. Exactly what Garber6th said. Losing the 20 some pounds presurgery isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, but was only a small part of the process. But also like she said, I would do it all again in a heartbeat! WLS was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

As has been said, the initial weight loss will be easier than you think. Especially since you'll be using MFP to help you. ;)

And if you ever feel that you have questions about what you should or shouldn't do, you can always contact your nutritionist or physicians. That's part of what they're there for. And we here will be more than willing to give advice from our experience. :)
  • Fightergurl76
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    :) Sorry, I guess I ought to have worded that better. In comparison to the rest of the leg work leading up to the actual surgery, losing weight is the most challenging for now. I am fully prepared mentally and am very well aware of how much this process entails in general. I've been researching and preparing for this decision for a long time now. However, thank you all so much for explaining it. I truly do appreciate all of you helping me. The support here is wonderful!!
    I've already lost about 5 pounds toward my goal and intend on losing well over the 22 required pounds. I can't wait to get my life back on track. :)
  • garber6th
    Options
    When is your surgery?
  • Fightergurl76
    Options
    Oh, I haven't gotten that far yet, no surgery date yet.
  • garber6th
    Options
    Well, good luck with everything and keep us posted! :)
  • Fightergurl76
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I will most certainly keep you all updated. :smiley:
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Get the best head-start you can, it will serve you well.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Also, losing as much weight as you can prior to surgery will help you physically with the surgery/recuperation. Not sure how much you have to lose overall, but the post-surgery 'honeymoon period' will last 6-9 months. After that, the weight loss gets harder. The more pre-surgery weight you lose, the easier it will be to hit your goal in the honeynmoon period. I had 180 pounds to lose and managed to lose about 100 of it prior to surgery, I hit my goal weight 7 months post-surgery.

Hit the pre-surgery plan as hard as you can. It will train your habits and behaviors that will make the post-surgery go well.

Rob
  • Fightergurl76
    Options
    Hi Rob,
    Thank you for that advise! :) It makes me happy knowing that I'm not alone. I am working diligently everyday with my pre-surgery weight loss. I was psyched to see that I went down a couple more pounds this morning. I wasn't expecting it after I ate so much yesterday. My long term goal is lose 219 pounds. So I have a long haul. I'd love to get at least 100 off prior to the surgery, but can't imagine it at this point. Right now I'm so glad to have my puny 7 pounds off haha. My first goal of losing 22 pounds seems right around the corner . B)

For me, it's all about the water intake. I've been really focused on that. I retain fluid like crazy. Personally I think the 7 pounds I'm down is all water to be honest. ha!

~Rebekah
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Don't sell yourself short. I agree, I never thought I would ever be so successful. Set a plan and have a singleminded focus on the plan and you can do amazing things!
  • weightloss20150906
    weightloss20150906 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in the pre surgery phase too I loss 25 lbs in a month and have changed a lot. Before I went to the information meeting I was eating whole cakes candy etc. After the information meeting I decided I wanted what they had and am willing to do anything it takes.So I gave up all sweets and fried foods.I went to the nurse appointment and went on I said no way was I able to do that less of calories. She wants me to eat 5 to 6 meals a day only 4oz at each meal protein first so that's what what I am doing now.I am glad to see more people where I at.
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bubblehead31, You are wise to go with smaller (and quicker) goals rather than looking at the BIG number of pounds you want to lose. I am hoping to lose over 150 lbs all together and that just seems so unreachable, even knowing that I am about to lose weight unlike I have ever been able to do before. Having short term goals that are just around the corner, in 20-25 lb sets of weight will let me celebrate more and encourage me on to the next goal. I set goals pre-op and now I have a smaller goal since surgery that I hope to reach within the next 2 weeks. Stack enough of these up and I will be at goal before too very long. You can do this. Keep your eye on the prize.
  • coffeeandacop
    coffeeandacop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @bubblehead31 sounds like I'm just a few steps ahead of you! I just scheduled my surgery for July 2! I was told to lose 30 pounds prior to surgery..I have to say once I started using MFP app I didn't have any problem tracking my food and making the "good" choices! I'm down more than 40 pounds and still have a month to go..I'm also MUCH more active now that I'm able to move easier!
  • valschlecht
    valschlecht Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 11 pounds! You are halfway there. I had my RNY on April 21 of this year. I, too, was worried about losing pre-surgery. One thing that helped me a great deal was Susan Leach's book Before and After. I still read it almost daily. It is a great resource. I also found that trying a protein shake as a meal replacement, something you will do both pre- and post-surgery was helpful in shedding a few pounds. Practicing all the things before surgery that you will have to live by after surgery will pull a few more pounds off. Think of it as a dry run. Also, and I know this is sooooo hard, please try to feel like this isn't the last time you will enjoy your food. I am just a little over 1 month post-op, and food tastes better than ever. I do not miss anything and am so happy. Blessings on your current struggle and I pray your surgery goes smoothly! Congratulations on making the first few huge steps!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I also found that trying a protein shake as a meal replacement, something you will do both pre- and post-surgery was helpful in shedding a few pounds.

Not everyone is required to do shakes before surgery!
    2 Weeks before mine I was asked not to consume bread, rice, potatoes, pasta or fruit and only the day before was I on clear "liquids".
    I could have things such as beef or chicken broth but nothing w/ coloring like tomato or creamy soups, that was the extent of it!

• dzoerner
    dzoerner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to constantly fixate on food. Since my RNY April 1st, I would never eat again if I ate when I was hungry. I don't get hungry! I no longer have cravings at all! I don't know if this is part of the "honeymoon" period or not, but I am down 41 lbs and I hope this never ends!
  • chckmeowt
    chckmeowt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had my final meeting with the dietitian on Wednesday and lost 11 lbs (out of my needed 4) to get approved for surgery. I'm going to keep trying to lose weight as I go forward. Met with the surgeon today and insurance approval was submitted this afternoon. Hopefully it is just a rubber stamping process since their requirements are really simple.

I was doing shakes for 2 meals a day to get my weight down for my required loss, but now I'm doing 1 shake meal a day. I've got my protein intake 80-100 grams / day and my calories from carbs down to 25%.