Very Trying.......

Options
elp516
elp516 Posts: 3 Member
Hi all, I have been on here a while but this is the first group that I have joined. I tried the clean and lean diet last year to train for a triathlon and it really worked for me. After the triathlon I seemed to let everything go! I have gained about 12lbs and they are not coming off easily. I am trying to go back to eating clean and I am desperately trying to get my fitness back up......any advice welcome!

Replies

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi elp516,

Welcome! I've found this forum to be supportive and helpful. I joined back in January when hubby and I jumped into clean eating with both feet!

A triathlon...wow...kudos to you!

I'm not athletic at all and struggle at times to get my workouts in. Food wise, I've found sticking with a few tried and true foods works best for us. It steamlines planning, prepping and tracking calories, making it all more doable.

We try new recipes occasionally and add the winners to our rotation.

Best of luck to you!

Robin
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I find planning in advance and listening to how my body feels helps me get back on track. I am right now on day 2 of focusing on eating only clean, whole foods. Although I did not do a triathlon (amazing accomplishment, by the way!!), I have spent the last few months slacking off from my gym routine and indulging in a few too many processed foods. I realized that not only have I gained 15 pounds, but I just feel sluggish, anxious and terrible. Focusing on how I feel and what my body truly wants is how I lost the weight in the first place, rather than focusing on weight loss itself. So, that's what I am doing again... maybe something similar will help you too?
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    HI.... I'm Cari, had RNY in January and am very interested in clean eating. What is a good resource for explaining all what clean eating entails?? Thanks in advance.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    HI.... I'm Cari, had RNY in January and am very interested in clean eating. What is a good resource for explaining all what clean eating entails?? Thanks in advance.

Cari, the problem is that not everyone on here agrees on what clean eating entails. For me, I would say www.myhumblekitchen.com is a great place to get info. She does an email series to help people get started. It's all about eating "real food" and not processed or modified food.

Other people would add gluten free and/or dairy free to that. Some say Paleo. I think it's about finding what works for your body.

I know my body doesn't handle dairy well. If I eat dairy products, I get respiratory infections and can't lose weight. Not everyone has that problem.

Good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me if you like to encourage each other.
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    for me clean eating is leaving off flour and sugar most processed foods
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately www.myhumblekitchen.com has been suspended for a while already.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

That's weird. I'm still able to get on the site.
    Well, basically it's about eating foods the way they were originally found in nature. Unprocessed foods is the obvious one, but also grass-fed beef and dairy products, ancient or einkorn wheat, and some others.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    TBrownCVT wrote: »
    Ang108 wrote: »

That's weird. I'm still able to get on the site.
    Well, basically it's about eating foods the way they were originally found in nature. Unprocessed foods is the obvious one, but also grass-fed beef and dairy products, ancient or einkorn wheat, and some others.

You are correct ....it is working again. When I made my previous post it always that " Account suspended ". Glad it is back !

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Clean eating for me is food in its natural state (not raw, just unprocessed!). I try to do the bulk of my shopping on the perimeter of the grocery store. My goal is for any prepared/processed foods to have 5 ingredients or less on the label (i.e., canned tomato sauce or a condiment). I also try to purchase organic and/or non-gmo when it is available and financially feasible. I'm not always successful or 100% diligent, but that is my goal and definition of clean eating.

I also physically feel much better when I don't consume much gluten. I previously tried a keto diet and while I saw some success, I knew it was not a sustainable eating pattern for me. After that, I try to keep my carbs close to 100g/day.... avoiding heavily processed food (i.e., gluten free processed garbage) sure helps! Rather than substitute with gf stuff, I change my pattern completely, such as lettuce wraps instead of tortilla or bread or spagetti squash or zucchini noodles instead of pasta. Keeps carbs low, keeps calories low enough to easily add in healthy fats, meets my "clean eating/real food" rules and helps my body feel better!

I have figured out what works (for me)... now I just have to figure out how to do it on a more consistent basis!
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have figured out what works (for me)... now I just have to figure out how to do it on a more consistent basis!

Yeah, that's the difficult part. As far as I am concerned, the biggest stumbling block to eating healthy or dieting as the case may be, is our mind. If I could just turn that voice off and stop making all these deals with myself, it would be so much easier.
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I got into clean eating with the Whole30 book. http://whole30.com/. It was a great starting point for me. I actually followed it for the suggested 30 days, and dropped 10 pounds, but more importantly, it helped with my migraines, heartburn and lack of sleep.
    After I finished the 30 days, I just keep up with the clean eating. I did add some stuff back in, but not a whole lot. Like I do have Greek yogurt and some milk products, but for the most part, I still stick to it and am now down 30 pounds. I have not had one migraine, or any headache for that matter. I haven't been sick at all, and no longer suffer any stomach or heartburn issues. Clean eating is definitely the way to go.