Do you measure your food? Or just wing it?

Options
Lowell_Zapata
Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
Just measured my serving of peanut butter...for the first time.

There's an eye opener! I estimate I've probably been using 2-3x the serving size" of 2 tbsp.

Replies

• happyvegan410
    happyvegan410 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hahahah! Oh me of my! Depends on what it is LZ---if I'm eating spinach or lettuce or other veggies, I'll wing it, but if it's fatty or high carbs, I'll measure. You get better at estimating after you measure for a while.
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You know, you're right. Once I saw what "2 tbsp" actually looks like, though, it changed the Veganaise and PB and hummus game completely! :'(
  • beeskneesbabe
    beeskneesbabe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I measure my most used foods in cups for things like beans, rice ect. Then I measured in grams for potatos and tofu and non leafy veggies. Then I printed out a cheat sheet for the fridge of grams/cups and the calories in each food. I only bother measuring veggies when I want to check on my micronutrients. :)
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Measure :)
  • shinrinyokuswife
    shinrinyokuswife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    both-similar to happyvegan410. I love peanut butter and hummus but who can actually eat just one serving????? so I measure it those out so I don't "round down" lol
  • SaradeWaal
    SaradeWaal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I always thought tablespoons were pretty big :( That might explain why I don't loose weight even though my estimated calories are fine most of the time 8-)
  • jocelynkyork
    jocelynkyork Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started measuring! I'm on a 1,260 cal base and after starting to measure I'm pretty sure I've been eating 3-4,000 cal/day without regular exercise. Crazy crazy.
  • Cailia
    Cailia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I measure everything by either weight or volume.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to measure everything including veggies, half a year ago I eased into maintenance and now I only weigh extremely high-calorie foods or just to get the right portion of something (especially with things that expand when cooked, like rice or lentils - I only cook for myself and do not want any leftovers).

I think for most people who are trying to lose weight, it's extremely important to start counting calories - even if it's only for a week. You just get so many eye-openers and become way more aware of what you're putting in your mouth.

My mother is overweight and she said it's "genetics" and she certainly hadn't been eating more than 2.000 kcal a day until I got her to calorie-count for 2 days and she found out she was consuming 3.500+ kcal ...it really makes a difference.
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Estimating with anything other than veggies never produces the results we want..I used to guesstimate my calories, kept a "log" in my head...ha! People remember what they WANT to remember and when that granola bar is calling me at 4 pm I forget all about the hummus and carrots I had at 1pm.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Measure
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything most of the time
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't measure salad or veggie items accurately but other things I do.
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been having good luck with Raw Till 4. I don't measure anything. Losing 4 lbs a week roughly.