Periods

Options
ashsara6
ashsara6 Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
I get my period once a year or sometimes not at all in a year and i was on weight watchers and lost 15 kg and still no period when i went vegetarian(mostly vegan unless i had some cheese) and for the first 5 months i started getting it every month, and then i fell off the healthy vegetarian bandwagon and started indulging in vegetarian treats and getting creative with my meals and also not eating enough veg or calories and that's when my period stopped coming again. I want to know if anyone has experienced anything similar to this. I found it really fascinating that I got my menstrual cycle back on a nutritional dense vegetarian diet. (Currently trying to get back on the bandwagon and i've recently gone more vegan cutting out my cheese addiction)

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't do vegetarian, but I got mine back with the help of Inositol supplementation. The interesting part was that with just it, my period was short and very light. Then, I went full carnivore as an experiment (trying to find something effective at helping me lose weight), my next period was actually normal, in the sense that it lasted for a good 4-5 days (instead of 1-3) and actually had some flow to it. This was new in the past year that I've been taking the Inositol.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My period while my weight is controlled is light and every 30 to 35 days and has been since I first started cycling.

When my weight isn't controlled my cycle is completely sporadic going up to 6+ months without a period and having anything from light spotting to, heavy with large clots.

Since starting to work with a ND and adding herbals and supplements, my cycle is getting closer and closer to 'normal', but still having a fair bit of variations. I'm currently averaging 27-28 days around 6 days in length.

I use low carb to manage my weight. I have tried vegetarian and it didn't work for me, however since this is a syndrome it's reasonable that we've different causes of PCOS and therefore different approaches are completely valid.
  • umrebelbelle
    umrebelbelle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have barely had one all year. I am just on birth control to treat mine. I am trying to clean up my diet and and get back to working out. Before getting diagnosed last year and going on the the pill I was getting mine regularly and lasting 2-4 days.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetarian and mine hasn't regulated to my diet yet. Now that I'm eating lower carb, I'm hoping that might help.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have barely had one all year. I am just on birth control to treat mine. I am trying to clean up my diet and and get back to working out. Before getting diagnosed last year and going on the the pill I was getting mine regularly and lasting 2-4 days.

Sounds like the birth control may be the main culprit, and sounds like you might be dealing with estrogen dominance. Talk to your doctor about getting your estrogen and progesterone levels checked and consider a different form of birth control (or none at all if you're not sexually active).