"Low carb hate" rant....

Options
me_ona_diet
me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
Need to rant!

I didn't realize there was still so much low carb hate out there, and so many people who are convinced that it's unhealthy...

I've done many different diets over the years, and comparing them, low carb has been the best, hands down. Best for weight loss, best for hunger control, best for energy, but there seem to be so many people who take the idea as a personal attack! And are so quick to jump on any comments suggesting that anything other than Calories in/Calories out is hokum.

Just grates on my nerves that they are so closed minded and self righteous. Grrr!!!

<rant over>

Replies

• Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hear ya loud and clear. But it doesn't matter I know deep down that this way of life has been a God send. I have control over eating for the first time ever and that is huge.
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There's a couple YouTube LCHF people I watch and it's unbelievable the comments they get. Just responded to one today even he made me so mad. Someday, things will change...I hope.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Things will never change until we outlive all of them. ;) lol. Just kidding....really there are some people who refuse to believe that their way doesn't work for everybody. Some people do amazing on CICO but it doesnt satisfy me and took over a year to lose 20 pounds following it religiously and exercising daily. Mind you, I had 70 to lose and should have lost more in a year. Apparently (according to the cico gurus) I was not logging everything i was "cramming into my mouth"....or lying about exercise..... the problem was something i was doing wrong because the formula was "golden". I left MFP for 2 years after that episode. People are so hateful.
    So now I am back with a new name and pretty much keeping to myself and this board. So glad i found you guys. I cant take the hate of the main boards or the immaturity of the "would you kiss the poster above" crap i see in my feed all of the time...
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    They are sugar high and jelouse. Let them have their cupcake and eat it too!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Things will never change until we outlive all of them. ;) lol. Just kidding....really there are some people who refuse to believe that their way doesn't work for everybody. Some people do amazing on CICO but it doesnt satisfy me and took over a year to lose 20 pounds following it religiously and exercising daily. Mind you, I had 70 to lose and should have lost more in a year. Apparently (according to the cico gurus) I was not logging everything i was "cramming into my mouth"....or lying about exercise..... the problem was something i was doing wrong because the formula was "golden". I left MFP for 2 years after that episode. People are so hateful.
    So now I am back with a new name and pretty much keeping to myself and this board. So glad i found you guys. I cant take the hate of the main boards or the immaturity of the "would you kiss the poster above" crap i see in my feed all of the time...

That's what gets me the most. It'd be one thing if they simply disagreed, but there are some who are convinced that we're secretly stuffing our faces or something. I actually feel kind of bad for these kinds of people, their lives must suck pretty hard in the weight and nutrition department in order to be so fearful and hateful toward those of us who only found success when we changed what we ate and not just how much.

I had a run in with a particularly vitriolic person about a week ago -http://dicktalens.com/the-myth-of-willpower-and-eat-less-move-more/
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that not only do carbs make you fat, give you joint pain, cause diabetes, but they are also bad for brain function. They seem to cause a high level of narrow mindedness and a generally nasty temperament.

I, too, can control my eating on low carb, after 20 years of trying to stick to low fat low cal diets and seldom lasting more than a day or two.
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i avoid the main boards like the plague. sends my blood pressure up higher than a carbohydrate diet ever did...
  • Artemis68
    Options
    I thought id seen a post in here of a particular thread that was not so good. The New to Atkins thread....well, if there was just sharing I messaged her earlier today when I saw the responses. Told her to come here and friended her. Pointed her to some Dr. Attia videos and lectures to allay her fears of disease and bad side effects of LC. She said she's sticking it out because she feels good and it works for her.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've seen some people say that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're within your calories.
  • lauraesh0384
    Options
    I've seen some people say that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're within your calories. Um, what? Yes it most certainly does matter! I saw one person tell another that cutting back on carbs doesn't decrease body fat % and that a caloric deficit will do that. Yes, a caloric deficit will, but macros matter, too. Apparently some people don't understand that when you aren't eating carbs or very low carb your body starts burning fat sooner. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles. Calories in/calories out might work for some, but low carb works best for those of us that are carb sensitive.

Sorry for the double post. It cut off the rest of my post for some reason.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Even if it the results are exactly the same as CICO (which they aren't IMHO) I am happier than 99% of the CICO low fat people I know.
    Do you realize how hard it is to eat CICO, LF in today's society? I can go out with friends, look at a menu and order a steak with blue cheese crumbles and veggies instead of spuds. The CICO LF peeps will still be doing math and portioning out 2 oz of whatever. And as far as that goes, I would rather not have a candy bar, at all ever again than be forced to eating it 1/8 at a time just so it fits in my calories for the day.

//end rant
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    People kept telling me that I needed to eat a more balanced diet all the time. I pretty much never say lchf or keto. I tell them I'm on a low insulin diet and I don't eat eat anything that turns to sugar or is sugar because of this. I eat enough calories and I'm still losing weight. They never know what to do with this info, so they keep their mouth shut about it. Lol. In fact when I say that I just don't eat or want sugar, the convo usually turns to them not being able to have that will power, I just explain that I keep my blood sugar stable this way, and it's like quitting smoking. It's the instability in those levels that makes your brain want more.
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I like that. People are way more open to the idea of no sugar than they are no carbs. I may use that when in 'mixed' company in the future!

gemberly wrote: »
    People kept telling me that I needed to eat a more balanced diet all the time. I pretty much never say lchf or keto. I tell them I'm on a low insulin diet and I don't eat eat anything that turns to sugar or is sugar because of this. I eat enough calories and I'm still losing weight. They never know what to do with this info, so they keep their mouth shut about it. Lol. In fact when I say that I just don't eat or want sugar, the convo usually turns to them not being able to have that will power, I just explain that I keep my blood sugar stable this way, and it's like quitting smoking. It's the instability in those levels that makes your brain want more.

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    gemberly wrote: »

Same here. I started using this explanation (which is quite true), together with the info that I am diabetic, and it does shut up most people.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wish I could like all your comments! I try not to have to explain what I eat and what I don't eat to people because they usually don't really understand the LCHF idea, but all I have to say is, I have a gluten sensitivity and feel better when I don't eat it and they don't say another word, even though gluten and carbs are necessarily the same, there is a lot of gluten in the simple carbs that don't treat my body well. As soon as I say, I feel so much better, they usually shut their mouths and go on with life so I can go on with mine.
  • Artemis68
    Options
    I wish I could like all your comments! I try not to have to explain what I eat and what I don't eat to people because they usually don't really understand the LCHF idea, but all I have to say is, I have a gluten sensitivity and feel better when I don't eat it and they don't say another word, even though gluten and carbs are necessarily the same, there is a lot of gluten in the simple carbs that don't treat my body well. As soon as I say, I feel so much better, they usually shut their mouths and go on with life so I can go on with mine.

I tried that too... but then I actually have many family members that primarily cook gluten free. Next thing you know its 'here these crackers are gluten free', 'try this cake, it's gluten free' lol
  • lauraesh0384
    Options
    Artemis68 wrote: »

I tried that too... but then I actually have many family members that primarily cook gluten free. Next thing you know its 'here these crackers are gluten free', 'try this cake, it's gluten free' lol

I work with a few people that follow gluten free and they'll tell me there's gluten free desserts on the break room table. I don't think they realized that low carb is even more restrictive until I told them.

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs in just over a month eating CICO. I weighed every single thing I ate. Was eating 1500 calories at macros of 40/30/30 and I was 230 at the time so those calories were not too high. I was exhausted, kept getting rashes on my hands and feet, canker sores. I've lost 10 lbs in 3 weeksnwith lchf, have more energy, no rash or canker sores in 3 weeks. Those CICO promoters who feast on all of the newcomers can bite my butt.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs in just over a month eating CICO. I weighed every single thing I ate. Was eating 1500 calories at macros of 40/30/30 and I was 230 at the time so those calories were not too high. I was exhausted, kept getting rashes on my hands and feet, canker sores. I've lost 10 lbs in 3 weeksnwith lchf, have more energy, no rash or canker sores in 3 weeks. Those CICO promoters who feast on all of the newcomers can bite my butt.

I never put it together but I get horrible canker sores (have one now, even) and have the whole time I did CICO but didn't get many when I did LCHF before...

Light bulb just went off *lol*
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options

I never put it together but I get horrible canker sores (have one now, even) and have the whole time I did CICO but didn't get many when I did LCHF before...

Light bulb just went off *lol*

Lol. I have no idea what it is about lchf. I was already gluten free when I was CICO and was still getting canker sores so it wasn't wheat. I have no idea what it is but I like it lol
This discussion has been closed.