Memorial Day Murph

Options

Replies

• mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    awesome job, all

We had a fun morning flipping tires, doing yoke carry, running w/ sandbags, etc. Nothing like the real Murph!
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Our gym wouldn't let you do the full Murph if you'd never done it before, but I would have loved to have seen how I could have done...but my hand ripped halfway through, so that sucked. haha! My husband was so ticked that he couldn't do it all the way (he just started CF a few months ago), so he crushed the half-Murph in his ire. haha

We donated to a great charity in honor of the day--one of our two owners is an Afghanistan vet and it's very important to him that we give more than just our hearts--It's called Gallant Few and it works to raise awareness of veteran suicide.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My only caveat to that is to be very, very careful about the veterans-based charities you give to. Many of them are not doing much at all to actually help veterans.

I searched these sites:
    https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?keyword_list=gallant+few&Submit2=Search&bay=search.results
    http://www.givewell.org/search/google/gallant few?query=gallant few&cx=006519779433161682990:rjaviztzhjs&cof=FORID:11&sitesearch=&safe=medium

for "Gallant Few" and got no hits at all. Not to say they aren't doing good work, but I'd look for some kind of source as to what percentage of donations goes to help the actual target group as opposed to expenses and salaries. I couldn't find any such information on their website.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    I appreciate the caveat. I'm aware of the shady groups out there--it seems that every day another group is being outed as not legit.

But I trust this one. Our veteran owner has had a positive experience with them and selected them for that reason. They are not a "donation" type of charity in the same way as say, Komen, but rather set up volunteer mentors/guides with transitioning combat vets to ease the transition.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    A woman at my gym described Murph as one of those things you do just to cross off the list, like a half marathon. I did it last year for the first time and that was enough for me. Congrats to all who did it this year!
  • bethlivi
    Options
    I like that approach. :-)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ascrit wrote: »
    A woman at my gym described Murph as one of those things you do just to cross off the list, like a half marathon. I did it last year for the first time and that was enough for me. Congrats to all who did it this year!

I actually don't think it's that hard. It just takes some time. I also switched my push ups to my knees in the 60s somewhere just to keep myself moving. I could have kept doing them normal but it would have really slowed me down, so it wasn't worth it.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    I probably walked half of the second run. My tank was completely empty, but I finished it in time to get into our group photo (just barely)

Don't know my exact time but it was less than an hour, so a bit better than last year. I'll take it.

Hehehe, nice. We almost forgot to take ours, we were so tired and hungry but I made it into our photo also.

• shaypearl
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    Our gym wouldn't let you do the full Murph if you'd never done it before, but I would have loved to have seen how I could have done...but my hand ripped halfway through, so that sucked. haha! My husband was so ticked that he couldn't do it all the way (he just started CF a few months ago), so he crushed the half-Murph in his ire. haha

We donated to a great charity in honor of the day--one of our two owners is an Afghanistan vet and it's very important to him that we give more than just our hearts--It's called Gallant Few and it works to raise awareness of veteran suicide.

Oh man that sucks your hands ripped and you couldn't do the full Murph, but I'm sure your coach was looking out for you guys so that's good. But sounds like you guys had a great time.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I almost did the entire Murph RX... had to jump on the last 10 pull ups and dropped to my knees on my last 20 push ups... 53 minutes! I am really getting sore this afternoon... hopefully with the right amount of sleep and protein I will build more lean muscle from this crazy WOD! :smile:
  • shaypearl
    Options
    I'm so late for this update but this year it took me 66 minutes to finish. I lost count of the push ups when some screamed good job at me. hehehehe. They say the hardest part of crossfit is keeping count.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just catching up. Did a half Murph at work on Wendesday, didn't keep accurate time, but just over 30 min doing chipper style with strict pull ups.

Full Murph on Monday, chipper style, no vest 62 min. Was really trying to break under an hour, but the push ups broke me off.

Our box had BBQ (well jambalaya), water slide, corn hole, and can jam (and beer) afterwards so a bunch of us hung out for the day "recovering"
  • shaypearl
    Options
    Nice, my gym had food as well but no water slide. Good idea for next year though.
  • shaypearl
    Options
    It's time of year again. My gym is doing Murph tomorrow and unlike last year we will have a water slide. Since I have to teach a Krav Maga class tomorrow I had to go ahead and get it out the way today. Last year it took me 1:06 with a green band. This year it took me 1:20 and I did kipping pull-ups, no band. So that is a nice accomplishment for me. I'm sitting at my desk having to get up every 15-20 minutes to walk around b/c my legs feel like they want to crap up.

Good luck everyone!!!!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    shaypearl wrote: »
    It's time of year again. My gym is doing Murph tomorrow and unlike last year we will have a water slide. Since I have to teach a Krav Maga class tomorrow I had to go ahead and get it out the way today. Last year it took me 1:06 with a green band. This year it took me 1:20 and I did kipping pull-ups, no band. So that is a nice accomplishment for me. I'm sitting at my desk having to get up every 15-20 minutes to walk around b/c my legs feel like they want to crap up.

Good luck everyone!!!!

water slide??

• shaypearl
    Options
    shaypearl wrote: »

Good luck everyone!!!!

water slide??

Yes one of those bouncy kids water slides. https://bouncepartyrentals.com/water-slide/
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Third Murph done today!! First time Rx as it is written. 62:02. Previous years have done 20 Rounds of 5-10-15. My box owner always has a pool party and BBQ every year after Murph at his house.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Did it! No vest time was 50:44...goal was under an hour so I was happy with that
  • shaypearl
    Options
    tuskegee4 wrote: »
    Third Murph done today!! First time Rx as it is written. 62:02. Previous years have done 20 Rounds of 5-10-15. My box owner always has a pool party and BBQ every year after Murph at his house.

Nice, good job on the time.