I never thought of myself as an emotional eater....and then

Options
fitmek
fitmek Posts: 277 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
I've always yo-yo'd my entire life. Always wanting to be a size 2-4 (I'm 5'3 on a good day). I've always been one to want to be the best version of myself and whole heartedly believing that. I've never understood why i have such a struggle with over eating. Portion size has been the biggest hurdle for me, since I can remember dieting at 16 years old.
I have always heard about people eating their feelings and stressing out and finding comfort in food. That's never been me....if I'm truly stressed, I dont want anything to do with food. I do eat sometimes when I'm bored, but I figured everyone did.
It wasn't until I found this board that I realized i'm the WORST emotional eater. I self sabbotage every.single.day. No reason, at least not that I am aware of. But, it happens every single day. It makes me want to cry and figure out how I can stop kicking myself and my progress.
I also probably have a little body dysmorphic disorder, because I look at myself and think "she's fine, she's had 2 kids, she's a 6, she's average, she doesn't HAVE to lose weight to be healthy at the weight she's at now." and somehow that gives me all the clearance I need to eat cookies, or peanuts, or popcorn or chips or some other kind of trigger food.
When really, I should be looking in the mirror thinking "I need to tone up, I need to get this stomach in shape, I need to set an example for my kids and be more active." because that is what I TRULY want and what I know would make me the happiest.
There is nothing more frustrating to me than not accomplishing a big goal that I make. For some reason, food has ALWAYS been the never attainable goal. I feel like I cannot get it under control enough to lose weight that I want to lose.
For 10 years now, I've been saying I want to lose 10 pounds. It's embarrassing.

It's crazy to me that it took me reading some of these posts over the past few weeks in the evening at home to realize emotional eating IS my problem.

Now, to fix it....no clue.

Replies

• shlygraham
    shlygraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater and I really didn't think that I was. We will overcome this somehow
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Crazy! Now I have to figure out how to overcome it!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Figure out your triggers. Mine are anger (instead of saying something when people make me angry, I will go grab something from the fridge) , anxiety and a couple of other things. Oh yeah, and getting back at my mother for harping about my weight all my life, even when I was only 10 pounds overweight (WAYYY beyond that now :blush: ).

Once I realized what my triggers are, the minute I am in that state and find myself reaching for the fridge or cabinet, I say "ok. STOP!" are you hungry? If not, I will make a pot of tea or broth, depending on if I am craving sweet or salt. That has really helped me. Yes, I NEED to put something in my mouth, but at least now I know WHY I am doing it, and I can usually control WHAT I put in.

If I absolutely can't stop myself, I take a little from future food (I try to "pre-log" as much as I can, to plan the calories for the day) and that helps me not go over. Occasionally... I just don't care, but I make it up the next day bu eating less. OR work that little binge into your calories. :wink: