Beef Bacon?

saraphim41
saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
I haven't had this yet because the store I use ran out of brisket, but--I think I want to try brisket sliced as thought it were bacon--and cooked like bacon. Anybody else tried this? How did it work out?

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    It's worth a try. My friend made lamb "bacon" that apparently tasted amazing. Maybe you can baconify anything ;)
  • DissLocated
    DissLocated Posts: 43 Member
    I have an old 19th Century cook book somewhere that has a recipe for 'mutton ham', I haven't tried it I have a friend who did. 'Sheepy' was the verdict!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    I live in Dubai which is a muslim country so pork products are hard to find and very expensive but beef bacon(or spiced beef strips,lol) is readily available and cheap...ish. Its made from brisket in the same way as pork bacon and I have to say.....apart from lacking as much fat as normal bacon...is a very good substitute! Its saved my bacon anyway,lol. Its smells as good when cooking but doesnt have that 'after smell' which is a bonus!
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Thanks to all! Until now, my butcher was the only one I asked about this who didn't look at me like I am nuts. (they could be right, but oh well )