Spam and Vienna on Keto?

Options
YukiBuns
YukiBuns Posts: 45 Member
Is it okay for people to eat Spam and Veinna Sauage on Keto? It's low in carbs and high in fat and decent amount of protein.

I ran out of food today so I need to wait to go shopping. Only thing in my house is eggs and spam, which I've been eating all day today to try staying on Keto as best as possible. Is this a good alternative? I calculated my intake for today and 8 oz. spam + 3 large eggs actually helps me reach my fat and protein for the day; along with coconut oil and my protein shake.

Thanks for those who can answer!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Spam works. :) Rather nice fried
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Spam is okay. I have some too if I'm ever in a pinch and can't buy groceries. Vienna sausages seem a bit less okay to me as they aren't as good at fitting in the macros...but I don't have a can in front of me so I can say for sure.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Spam is okay. I have some too if I'm ever in a pinch and can't buy groceries. Vienna sausages seem a bit less okay to me as they aren't as good at fitting in the macros...but I don't have a can in front of me so I can say for sure.
  • YukiBuns
    Options
    Okay thanks. I know processed food isn't something to always look for..but I'm glad it does work for times like today. I really appreciate it! Thanks guys. I also managed to fit in my calories, fat and protein with only maxing out at 8g of carbs today! Woo~
  • YukiBuns
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    IIFYM
    What?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    He means, if it fits your macros ie you can eat what you want provided you stay in your carb and other limits. Those who believe in calories in, calories out (cico) use that mantra to include eg donuts in their diet, so it's a way of saying it doesn't matter what you eat so long as it fits other goals. Some people also like to focus on the quality of the food Especially if they have other health issues. @kirkor takes pride in his laconic utterances...
  • kirkor
    Options
    @kirkor takes pride in his laconic utterances...

I like giving people terms to google ;)

But in all seriousness, folks will learn more and benefit to a greater degree in the long run if they dig in to it themselves rather than just relying on what people in forums say. Gotta "own" the material.

• totaloblivia
    Options
    You are a person on a forum too....
  • kirkor
    Options
    Yep and my opinions are definitely worth what they earn! B)
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    You do always add value, though, and I've definitely learned from you.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you're more paleo than keto then the processed stuff is a "no no", but I've included many processed meats (bacon, dry salami, pepperoni, spam, etc.) in my diet for the past 2 months and I've had no trouble losing weight while having them.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I can afford more expensive cuts of meat, but I actually like, bologna, hot dogs, Vienna sausages, and SPAM. SPAM has a nice metal can that I can re-purpose. Yeah, there are some nitrates in all of those meats, but unless you're sensitive or allergic to them, you can eat it.

And Vienna and SPAM doesn't need refrigeration and they're cheap.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
  • Journey_258_thru
    Journey_258_thru Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    He means, if it fits your macros ie you can eat what you want provided you stay in your carb and other limits. Those who believe in calories in, calories out (cico) use that mantra to include eg donuts in their diet, so it's a way of saying it doesn't matter what you eat so long as it fits other goals. Some people also like to focus on the quality of the food Especially if they have other health issues. @kirkor takes pride in his laconic utterances...

So glad you cleared that up for us. I'm five days into keto, totally new to the concept, and no word of a lie, the last three letters made me think that the acronym was a negative comment that involved "Your Mother" at the end.

lol

Ah, night shift. Time to feed my brain some more electrolytes and maybe some mixed nuts.
  • totaloblivia
    Options

So glad you cleared that up for us. I'm five days into keto, totally new to the concept, and no word of a lie, the last three letters made me think that the acronym was a negative comment that involved "Your Mother" at the end.

lol

Ah, night shift. Time to feed my brain some more electrolytes and maybe some mixed nuts.

That made me laugh!
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Well you know SOMEBODY was going to throw this out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Fried spam and eggs = yum. :-) I don't make it often, but I usually have a can in my pantry for just the type of emergencies that OP finds herself in right now.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    @kirkor takes pride in his laconic utterances...

LOL
  • missladyfit
    missladyfit Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Saw this post and had to ask if OP is filipino? LOL.

I can't imagine processed food is the best thing for you to have all the time, but it does work. And it's great because it's something the rest of my non-keto family and friends will eat, so long as I can avoid the side of fried rice or pan de sal.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm we ate spam all of the time growing up. Spam in a baking dish sprinkled with brown sugar and baked. Wouldn't touch the stuff now. BARF! lol.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I live in South Africa. And Spam is the stuff you get through your email that you junk. I didn't know you could eat it. Can someone explain. :)