Paleo 'treats' or just the real thing occasionally?

Options
SlimBride2Be
SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
i can't decide what I feel about Paleo 'treats'. You know the sort- coconut cacao bliss balls or Paleo baking or avocado chocolate mousse. I haven't made any of them in 2 months and I've actively avoided it because I'm scared it's a slippery slope I won't be able to get myself off!

On the other hand my fiancée brought back some very very expensive fancy handmade small dark chocolates from Europe and I have been having about 2 or 3 a week. I don't think they are loaded with sugar as expensive ones don't tend to be as bad as 'junk' chocolate and I seem to be able to restrain myself. About half the box is gone and it will probably take another six weeks to finish (if he doesn't eat them all first!).

BUT they aren't Paleo. They definitely have some sugar and dairy in them.

So should I just keep on as I am and have them as a very occasional cheat treat?

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I actually love coconut oil chocolates and I keep them in the freezer when I want something sweet.
  • SlimBride2Be
    Options
    I'm worried a freezer full of 'legit' treats will just bring on a binge because I am allowed them! At least with real chocolate I know it's not Paleo and I don't binge on them because I love what Paleo does for me so much!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I treat them both equally. I do like a bit of extra dark chocoloate (85-90%), but I still have to have it in moderation.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cheating occasionally, especially with high quality products (but ok, if you want to send me those fancy chocolates I can accept them :smile: .
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To me, most of the Paleo "Treats" have too much sugar content. Sure they get the sugar from dried fruit or honey, but it is still sugar. I'm also a bit leery about the different Paleo flours that are marketed to us. They are still processed fairly heavily. If a person is trying to break a sugar addiction and get away from sweet treats, then they should avoid these items until they are sure that can enjoy them on occasion without starting to slip.

That being said, I have found a couple items that I use on occasion. Epic bars make a nice emergency meal when on the road (some of my transplant meds require food when taken). I also use the Julian bakery Paleo Wraps for my hand held foods. Those are basically just coconut meat. Prior to the Paleo Wraps I used to have a hamburger day once a month. I love burgers and my dream vacation would have been crossing the country stopping at Diners, Drive Ins and Dives burger joints. Burger day always ended with regrets. 3 to 4 pound weight gain due to inflammation and water retention, feeling really bleeh for a couple of days and very bloated. The Paleo wraps have helped break that cycle for me.

I also have two small pieces of very dark chocolate daily. It takes 8 days to eat one bar :) Anything less than 80% tastes too sweet for me anymore.

You know what makes for a really nice sweet treat for me now that I haven't had sweeteners in so long? Roasted beets drizzled with a bit of nice balsamic vinegar. Roasted root veggies are really sweet now :)
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't bother w/ most paleo treats just because they require special ingredients and it's too much bother. My family doesn't really go for it so it's just me. I could freeze some of the extra but I think even I might start to get tired of it. And, frankly, I just don't see things that really look like full on treats for me

THat being said...my normal treat is real full on chocolate ice cream. No added nuts or chunks of chocolate. Just the real deal. In a dish. With a spoon. let it sit out for a few minutes so its starting to get melty. 1/2 cup of that really satisfies me. And, I can count on my family to eat the rest so I won't be tempted to keep treating myself!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would eat the chocolate from europe and totally enjoy it. One after dinner really satisfies. Our family does enjoy a nice box of chocolates on occasion. One each a night and it can go a long way!
  • SlimBride2Be
    Options
    I agree, it's a lovely way to round off a meal, and really feels like I'm not depriving myself as I'm doing so well. I think the little things that make it feel like a way of eating and not a diet are quite key to sustaining this for a lifetime. I wouldn't want to be storing up all the things for eating 'once I've finished my diet'!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Moderation...I agree you don't want to store up for when you finish your diet because it isn't A diet, it is YOUR diet.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I love the Paleo treats because they are so nutrient dense. I don't feel so bad making them for my family, since I know they are getting other benefits from the treats and not just empty calories. Some spike my blood sugar worse than conventional versions, so I now know I must be very very careful, but there are some delicious desert things to be made in Paleo cuisine. I love making nut crusts for pies and coconut flour muffins are the best muffins imo!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that both need to be watched due to sugar. I swear dates stick to my backside worse than any piece of cake does. In general, though, I think if you want a treat and have the ability to make it Paleo then that would be ideal. miriamtob really summed it up above. If it's a treat that still has lots of nutrition then it's better. However in certain truly special occasions like wedding cake at a wedding have a piece.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the self control for "treats". After my 21 days (the kick start to this lifestyle), I felt very confident that I could resist and control myself around sweets since my cravings had went away. So, I bought a bag of dark chocolate, the good stuff, and planned to have one a day. Well, apparently that's like an alcoholic having a bottle of vodka at home for 1 shot a night. lol. I devoured the bag in two days :/ and since that, I've struggled daily with avoiding the sweets. I'm not where were I used to be...but I've dug into a cookie or two at work. I seriously feel like I need to completely cut out sweets (paleo approved or not..).

On another note- they can get expensive to make, so that's another reason I wouldn't do it. I do really enjoy making Paleo pancakes on the weekend. I found a yummy pumpkin pancake recipe. I add a bit organic maple syrup and eat ham steak with it. Yum. And this way- it's a treat, but they are gone and not sitting on my counter waiting for me. I make one batch and split it with my daughter.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Can't say that I am a fan of the recent trends in Paleo cookbooks in duplicating desserts for routine consumption using coconut flour and almond flour.

I allow myself one treat a week or so and it doesn't need to be Paleo. I don't buy multiple servings to consume at home.
  • scarfe9991
    scarfe9991 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time with paleo treats, I had to stop Lara bars even. I think I feel like yes since they're paleo I can have more and I stop treating it like a treat. I think I do better going for the sugar-laden non-paleo version and in a single serve portion that I won't have extra of at home
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I had 20+ Paleo cookbooks and with the exception of just a few, they were half full of Paleoized desserts and baked goods. I fell into the Paleo substitutes, even low carb ones, for the first while but then realized I can be fat/sick on Paleo treats just as easily as any other treats. I feel the cookbooks, obscure ingredients, and unending kitchen gadgets were a complete waste of my money. What I couldn't sell or give away were tossed. I now have only a few Paleo cookbooks - the ones without the crap that makes me sick. Of course now that I only eat animals and no plants all of the cookbooks are pretty useless. lol But ya never know when I might have plant eating company over so keeping Well Fed and a few others seemed wise.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    European treats .... Absolutely! Just look at how you are addressing them with such reverence. You know it's a special once in a while thing.
    You also know yourself that if it's just a Paleo version of a regular treat you'd be more casual and eat more.
    Trust yourself on this, you're doing it right for you!
    I'm the same way - if I've spent $4 on an organic chocolate bar it lasts a month.
    But if I make chocolate fig coconut bars they're gone in a week!
    And best wishes for your wedding day!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I had 20+ Paleo cookbooks and with the exception of just a few, they were half full of Paleoized desserts and baked goods. I fell into the Paleo substitutes, even low carb ones, for the first while but then realized I can be fat/sick on Paleo treats just as easily as any other treats. I feel the cookbooks, obscure ingredients, and unending kitchen gadgets were a complete waste of my money. What I couldn't sell or give away were tossed. I now have only a few Paleo cookbooks - the ones without the crap that makes me sick. Of course now that I only eat animals and no plants all of the cookbooks are pretty useless. lol But ya never know when I might have plant eating company over so keeping Well Fed and a few others seemed wise.

So which cookbooks did you keep? Just curious.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well Fed 1 and 2, Beyond Bacon, and can't remember what others as I haven't finished unpacking. lol I really don't need any recipes for how I eat now but couldn't bear to part with all the cookbooks.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    scarfe9991 wrote: »
    I have a really hard time with paleo treats, I had to stop Lara bars even. I think I feel like yes since they're paleo I can have more and I stop treating it like a treat. I think I do better going for the sugar-laden non-paleo version and in a single serve portion that I won't have extra of at home

Ugh...Lara bars...when I was vegan I can't tell you how many fat vegans sat around and wondered why they couldn't lose any weight...they were eating "healthy" stuff like Lara bars, right? OMGaaaah!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You have to really think about WHY you are eating in a paleo or primal manner. If you are trying to eat like the human animal was designed to eat, then where are all these 'treats' coming from? They didn't exist. Something sweet like an apple or a piece of honeycomb was the treat.

Baking as a cooking technique was developed AFTER we turned to grains as a basic food. Why use a post-agricultural technique at all? The food we are designed to eat was meant to be eaten raw. Or simply roasted. Or slowly cooked on the embers. Fancy desserts, sweet treats, and fake bakes are as silly as vegetarians eating 'meat' made out of soy.

It really helps to think of why you eat in the context of ancestral hunting and gathering, rather than treating it as a fad diet and following a gaggle of 'gurus' who are trying to make a buck off of it. 'Paleo' recipe sites and books are for the most part moneychangers in the temple courtyard.