From useless kitchen gadget to can't live without it necessity when you go Paleo...

Options
2»

Replies

• Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My favorite kitchen tool is my ulu. It makes chopping so much easier.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No selling from eBay and Amazon isn't applicable to remote locations. I'm in Canada and in the Arctic lol. I am selling lots of stuff... but nobody here wants cookbooks and they cannot be shipped out at $5+ per pound cargo rate. I'm shipping a LOT of books unfortunately and unused cookbooks aren't going to make the cut.

Personally, I would recommend keeping things simple. Some of the gadgets were fun, some useless, but all told, a lot of wasted money. Even the Vitamix because, to be truly honest, smoothies aren't really that healthy for my child either.

Nutmeg: as expected, I keep an ulu handy with my knife collection. Artists make them locally. I have zero buyers remorse over my knives, they made my life much more pleasant in the kitchen!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    My Vegetable Spiralizer, Magic Bullet Blender, Food Processor for grating/slicing veggies & Immersion Blender for soups - mine are all just regular tools.

Id love to get a Waffle Iron (for paleo waffles for my son), an Icecream Maker (again, paleo icecream for my boy), a Dehydrator & a Mandolin .
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just have a small crockpot and it is constantly in use especially now that my oven is broken.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Nutmeg I forgot about the ulu, it's amazing for herbs!

While I've added items to my kitchen collection they are basic and timeless and at the same time I've eliminated so many fad items (panini machine, rice steamer, pasta cookers etc.) I have a much more usable and efficient kitchen now and am so happy with it!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I had to buy a bigger stock pot and a couple of fine-mesh strainers and cheesecloth for the bone broth. I use the meat grinder and the slicer add-ons to my KitchenAid stand mixer a lot more, too.

Silicon bowl covers and old Pyrex "refridgerator boxes" are priceless for reusable leftover storage too.

And ditto on the dishwasher, cast-iron (Lodge brand is my favorite), and mason jars.
  • 31flavors
    31flavors Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the cast iron skillet. Since I started my 99% paleo, I use it twice a day, every day.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Veggie noodle maker!! I love zucchini noodles with spaghetti sauce. I was using jar spaghetti sauce for a while though- didn't reason the sugar overload. I'll be making my own next time.

Tools I want to get:
    bamboo cutting board
    avocado cutter thing
    a thing that turns olive oil (or any oil) into a spray (ditch the cans)
    nice glass container set
    herb scissors

They are all relatively inexpensive. I'm just taking it slow on gathering my collection. Not to be negative, but I've started many different "lifestyles" only to stop and therefore waste money. I do have full intentions of seeing this one through though. If not for my weight loss- my face! (Finally clear after 15 years of acne).
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have to look into this Ulu thing...
  • auntiebev306
    auntiebev306 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Veggie spiralizer for 'zoodles', immersion blender, micro-plane for citrus zest, a mini food processor for salad dressings and my beloved cast iron pans. Use many of these daily.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Ulus are good for all kinds of things. I own only one but almost every day someone comes by selling them. The handle is either caribou bone or muskox horn usually. Locally made. They are very good for skinning too. Not that anyone here does that.... ok going back to my hole... but feeling left out now I have so little to add to Paleo topics. :'(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ulus are good for all kinds of things. I own only one but almost every day someone comes by selling them. The handle is either caribou bone or muskox horn usually. Locally made. They are very good for skinning too. Not that anyone here does that.... ok going back to my hole... but feeling left out now I have so little to add to Paleo topics. :'(

I want one. Please tell my husband that would make a great anniversary present?
  • SweetTATA5
    SweetTATA5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use my spriralizer and mandolin slicer all the time. I practically keep them in my sink, as it seems that every time I wash them and put them away, I'm taking them right back out again. I would like to be more comfortable using my food processor. I don't know why it makes me so nervous. I also use my silpats and parchment paper a lot now, when before I couldn't figure out why I would need them.
    I need to get another immersion blender. I have yet to replace the one I lost in my divorce years ago.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @Akimajuktuq I'm so glad you mentioned the ulu for herbs! That's a great idea :) Mine's a cheap one I got at a big box store, but if I ever make it back to AK I'm going to get a pretty one.

Unfortunately the only time mine really gets used is when the other knives are all in use or when someone else in the house wants pizza, because my husband thinks it's "weird" and doesn't like to clean it (I don't know why he thinks it is more difficult than any other blade, haha).
  • Akimajuktuq
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use my ulu for skinning and cutting meat mostly. Oh and it is an awesome pizza cutter.... for those who eat Paleo pizza or whatever. Your husband is speciesist against knives. lol

I have not yet learned how to post pictures on MFP. Silly, I know.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was going to get an herb scissors, but perhaps this ulu thing will be beneficial for that, and other things.
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an Etsy Ulu page could be a money maker :)