Looking for new buddies while I deal with big life changes

Options
blondieemily
blondieemily Posts: 3 Member
Hi guys! This looks like a very supportive group and have been reading for a while.

Last Christmas I lost my Mother to pneumonia, she was ill for years, she was house bound, needed a lot of care and was on oxygen 24/7. It happened within a week but was still such a big shock. Mum was my best friend and spoke to her nearly everyday.
The beginning of the year I had to deal with a absolute nightmare of a bus, I finally threw the towel in and went travelling to Australia and New Zealand for 5 weeks. The trip did me a world of good.

Over the past 5 months I am getting used to my new normal and trying to get back into a routine and find a new job. The stress and mourning has made me put on over 15-20 pounds. I understand it's just what can happen when you have a huge shock. My eating habits are making me unhappy and low self esteem. Time to do something about it! The past few weeks I am starting to run again, using my nutribullet and making a conscious effort to eat well. I have binged once this week, it is a daily struggle not to stop eating.

I made a new account on MFP. I used to be on here about 3 years ago and did so well and learnt so much on nutrition. Chances are small to find anyone dealing with the same issues as me but would definitely love some company :) I am 29 years old and live in London.

Replies

• cmyers1188
    cmyers1188 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My weight loss journey is a huge number. However, I made an incredible dent with a 30 pound loss. Then my grandfather died and I learned my truth about binge and emotional eating. I gained it all back. Just as soon as I get back on track after having lost 20 more pounds, my other grandfather dies. And wouldn't you know, suddenly I'm tipping the scales at my highest weight ever? Here's the kicker: the 2nd death was my biological grandfather, and he passed as a result of heart and lung issues ALL stemming from his weight. He put on a tremendous amount of weight in a short time and never took it off. After years of struggling, it finally took his life.
    So here I am in the same gene pool, ready to change things. I hate that it took him passing to recognize the issues in my own lifestyle. I regret not doing this sooner because I could have been an example. But, here we are. Here I am. I can be an example to others. Let's do this!!!
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting your stories. I am going through something similar, in November I had a miscarriage and I have to come to terms with not being able to have children. It's so hard and I have regained about 30lbs. Be kind to yourselves ladies, life is hard enough without beating ourselves up. I am scared though as I barely have a day without binging these days. feel free to add me as a friend if you need support x
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I've had a life long uncomfortable relationship with food. I am now 56 and can say that for the last 20 months I feel I have done some real changing.
    I have always used food to soothe my emotional state. I did choose the food really. I wanted to eat more than I wanted to be thin. In 2013 my health showed me I couldn't choose food any longer as it ruined my left knee cartilage. Being post menopausal has helped I might add - hormonal roller coasters don't really hit me anymore.

If you are using food for comfort, you are going to have to find other things to soothe yourself with. I turned to fixing my health, I exercise and I have lost quite a lot of weight. I now have to keep it off! I belong to overeaters anonymous, however I am not endorsing that programme or suggesting anyone need join.
    Finding ways of being kind to ourselves and taking care of our needs is important. Women often put themselves last.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Food and I have never gotten along and I was lucky enough to get my first eating disorder at 2 in the form of ARFID. I now also have issues with binge eating, especially when completely stressed out or feeling sad/upset. And I tend to be anorexic on my non-binge periods which is so fun. I've gained about 15-18lbs in the past month and a half because I've been binging so much due to money stress and work stress, so now I am desperately trying to undo the damage. I worked really hard to lose 70lbs and get down into the low 130s and I was able to fend off my binge cravings for 2 years, but they came back with a vengeance in April and now everyday is a hardcore struggle for me. My stomach constantly growls and all I want is food, even in the middle of eating.
  • blondieemily
    blondieemily Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, took me a while to respond but thank you for the responses. It is really difficult not to be hard on yourself, for me that's half the problem.
  • SarahKate2710
    SarahKate2710 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there, kudos for taking the first step. Even though you have put on some weight since losing your mom, I'm going to step out on a limb and say those 15lbs were definitely worth the 5 weeks of traveling around Oz and NZ. Just learning more about yourself can help with the whole healthy life style.

I attempted to move to London last year, but I panicked and came home. Do I wish I would have stayed and gave it an honest go, absolutely, but we can 'what-if' ourselves to death and that's just as unhealthy as eating rubbish all the time. Keep your chin up and just know that there are always people who are willing to motivate and support you even if you never see their faces or hear their voices. Add me as a friend if you need someone to talk to.
    Cheers