Squats

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
So, I used to think that deadlifts were hurting my lower back. It has been absolutely resolved that it is back squats that are hurting my lower back.

I have investigated solutions. One is to tighten my core as much as possible, then lower down as far as I can while maintaining a tight core. I tried this without weight, and I cannot get down very far. I have concluded that my extremely tight muscles forces my back to arch as I get down into the squat. The solution, according to Mark Rippletoe, is to not go all the way down, but only go as far down as my body allows, like maybe parallel. At the same time, work on flexibility in the hips, ankles, etc.

I don't think I'm rounding, I think I'm hyper-extending the lower tail bone (sorry I don't know the technical term for it).

Does this sound right. I'm going to try it on my next squat session with lighter weight and see how it feels.

Any other suggestions?

TIA.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Biggest suggestion would be to post a video or two. You can PM them to me if you'd like, or just post them to our thread.

Beyond that I would also be curious if bar placement plays a role. So for example if you are low bar back squatting I'd be curious if you can front squat without pain.

Another simple thing to test could be to goblet squat as deep as you can and see if that causes any pain.

Changing the placement of the load will naturally change your torso angle which can then effect the contribution your posterior chain makes in the movement.

This isn't to suggest that it's strictly a bar placement issue, it's just something you can try to see if it's strictly a function of depth or if it's spine angle/etc.

Are you squatting belted or unbelted? If you squat belted and take a belly full of air and push against the belt does this change what your back feels?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    In for the video!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In for resolution.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'd hazard a guess that you're probably bracing incorrectly, and a flaired up ribcage is part of the problem. Do you cue 'Chest up' or 'big chest', anything like that? Look into maintaining a 'down' ribcage and neutral hips - solar plexus and pelvic floor should line up. Here's an article worth reading;

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/05/30/2-concepts-every-coach-needs-every-athlete-understand/

Once you've read that and understand the concepts you can apply it to information like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZDVHVohtmE
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,065 Member
    Options
    Maybe also consider varying width of stance for foot placement. By lifting sumo I can go deeper, in part because of tight hamstrings and hip flexors. Your issue is lower back, but the hip bone is connected to the back bone and all that jazz.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    The front squat seems to bother my back more.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The front squat seems to bother my back more.

Upper or lower?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Lower.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry, I forgot to follow-up. I made the decision to stop back squatting. I have tried just about everything except hiring a trainer, which maybe could fix my issue. However, it's not worth the aggravation. Every time I back squat, my lower back is in intense pain for days. I am glad I was able to isolate the exercise that was causing this problem. Instead, now I am doing single leg leg presses. And I am combining that with additional work such as hip thrusters and RDL's. I know it's not the same, but at least I no longer have back pain. After two or three years of relentless form changes, I've just decided that back squats are not for me. I have had people watch me squat, and say my form is great. So, I don't know what's going on. I do have really bad posture (I have since I was a kid). My back curves in, sway back. I've been that way since birth, although my chiropractor tells me that's wrong and I just have horrible posture and thinks I can correct it. Also, I am very very tight. I am just not flexible at all. So, I don't know if I round me back, or if I over extend it. Probably the latter. But, when the weight gets heavy, I don't know how to keep from doing that. Could be a weak core. But, in any case, it's not worth continuing to cause pain.

My routine for legs consists of single leg press, thrusters, deadlift, leg curl, front squat, and RDL. I do others too, depending on how I feel.

Thanks for all your help.

I have (had?) a sway back and used to get bad lower back pain. I do not have it anymore and luckily do not have any issues from lifting and in fact I think it helped, but also what did help, and this is a bit random, was changing my mattress. When I was ill after my aneurysm I spent quite a bit of time in bed as I was not very ambulatory for a while even after I came out of hospital. I sleep on my stomach and this seemed to get worse when I changed my mattress - so I bought another one and I ended up getting a memory foam one - it made a huge difference. I also stopped having pain in my back doing some other things that used to cause it (e.g. walking a lot carrying a load) since I started lifting - so my posture may be improved from that as well. May not be relevant for you, but it may be worth looking into if you still have back pain.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Jerry have you tried goblet squats?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Jerry have you tried goblet squats?

I haven't. But, I will. Wouldn't that just be a front squat?

Basically yes although the goblet squat tends to be easier to learn in that one of the major challenges in a front squat is bar placement. Goblet squatting is easier to get into with less learning and consequently it would be faster to use as a test of sorts on your back.

Either way though, if you're able to front squat, try it.

I'm just curious if it's a function of spine angle, or compressive force, or .... something else.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was curious to see the video. Now I wonder if you just have a medical issue or just a form oddity. I would THINK if you had a bulging disc or something along those lines, you'd feel it SOMEWHERE. Like on rows, or deadlifts or ANYTHING.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Goblet Squat is what I do. But i modify it and use two dumbbells instead of one, I don't want to lug around a 140 pound dumbbell. I tried the front squat, but the form is difficult and if you do it wrong it will put a lot of stress on your lower back. It just seems easier to control with dumbbells. Keep your core tight when you do it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options