pork rinds?

Options
cottagegirl71
cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
anyone know where I can buy them in Canada? (specifically Ontario!) I know I have seen them and never given them a second thought (back when I was eating SAD) but now don't know where to look.....gas stations?! hoping I like them and that these can be my new chip replacement :)

what is your fave thing to eat them with? I was going to try dipping them in Helluva french onion dip or with some melted cheese, salsa, sour cream and guacamole....

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with where to find them - in the US, typically they're in the same aisle as chips and Doritos. As for how to use them - I mostly use them as a base for nachos, or throw them in the food processor and use them as a breadcrumb replacement.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Dang, they are everywhere around here (in NC)! I get mine at Walmart. I eat them with cream cheese, salsa (I take a bag to mexican restaurants, LOL), tuna or chicken salads, etc. I also use ground up pork rinds in meatloaf and as a breading for chicken.
    BTW, I love me some Helluvagood dip, but am taking a vacation from it for a while. I over indulged in potato chips and dip from November to April which is why I had to straighten up and fly right on LCHF!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I live in Manitoba, and I buy them at Bulk Barn, where I can find the "Sunasia" brand which just has pork rinds and sea salt listed in the ingredient list. I have also tried Old Dutch bacon puffs, and they are probably easier to find, but I prefer the taste of the Sunasia ones. Beware of the kind with the flavours that I found at Superstore in the ethnic section, since they often have wheat or MSG in them and other weird stuff. I also get some homemade ones with just salt that a couple of my co-workers make at home. I tried to make them myself but they failed and it just wasn't worth the trouble.
  • bikerchick2012
    bikerchick2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have never seen them in the UK ?
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    They are called pork scratchings in the UK and I've seen them in sainsburys near the crisps. Can't get my head around the yuk factor though even though I eat pork!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yeah having tough time finding them in Sask., too. Walmart, Sobeys, Co-op, gas stations all no go. Have to see if daughter can check in Saskatoon at Superstore.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm in BC. Couldn't find them at any stores. Finally found them at 7-11!!
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and luckily have good quality ones at my local farmers market. I don't use them to eat on its own but as a coating for southern fried chicken.
  • cottagegirl71
    Options
    found some at Food Basics - will give them a shot this week but love the idea of using them to replace breadcrumbs!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Amazon :)
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Dang, they are everywhere around here (in NC)! I get mine at Walmart. I eat them with cream cheese, salsa (I take a bag to mexican restaurants, LOL), tuna or chicken salads, etc. I also use ground up pork rinds in meatloaf and as a breading for chicken.
    BTW, I love me some Helluvagood dip, but am taking a vacation from it for a while. I over indulged in potato chips and dip from November to April which is why I had to straighten up and fly right on LCHF!
    I love pork rinds.. The ideal of taking into a Mexican restaurant.. Yes....!!!!! I also use then for chicken breading but couldn't get the calorie calculator to come it right
  • happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Where in Ontario are you @cottagegirl71 ? I am close to the Michigan border so I have to go over there and get them. They sell the small bags in our grocery stores but they are the same price as the big bags in Michigan. I love my pork rinds and I dip them in sour cream...yum. Only wish I could get the salt and vinegar ones I hear folks talk about on here - can only get plain, and bbq
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love the plain rinds dipped in french onion dip! I pick them up at a local dollar store, most grocers around me (NE OH) don't have them. Great for a quick satisfying snack.

They are good splashed with hot sauce, like tabasco or red hot, as well.
  • bikerchick2012
    bikerchick2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ahh! Pork scratchings!
    Penny drops!!!
    Thanks SlimBride!
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm in Manitoba and I order Lowrey's microwave pork rinds from lowcarbcanada.com. They have regular and hot & Spicy... and they are so good. None of the store bought already made ones compare to making them fresh!!
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Amazon.com has air popped pork rinds...kind of like air popped pop corn. I love them!
  • happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    oh my! Microwave, fresh, warm pork rinds...I will have to investigate and get some of those...although that might be dangerous,,,thanks @Artemis68 and @Limath
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in Alberta and can get them at No-frills. Try Loblaw's, Superstore ( they are all affiliated I believe) I have even found them at Wal-Mart on occasion.
  • cottagegirl71
    Options
    I bought the bag on Saturday and it is still unopened......I know it is part of my SAD brainwashing but I am having a hard time getting myself to try one! :#
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    So, does anyone know why pork rinds all seem to have 9-10gm of protein per serving, but instead of a percentage they say "not a significant source of protein" meanwhile Special K cereal bars have 4gm of protein and market themselves as "excellent source of protein"? Is there a law that pork rinds have to write that? (I've seen it on several brands on Amazon). Is it that the protein is an unusable source and our body won't recognize it?