Itchy skin from weight loss???

Options
Jbarnes1210
Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
Is anyone else experiencing itchy skin in areas of old stretch marks?? I was wondering if being on low carb for so long has this effect/does this happen with loosing weight/or is it just me?I drink plenty of water so I don't think it's dry skin, but the skin on my stomach itches as much as it did when I was pregnant.....

Replies

• audra145
    audra145 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I itch like that especially on my leg muscles after a good run.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    I wonder what causes it?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My stomach is so itchy that I am scratching it in my sleep and leaving small scabs :-/. 30.4kg down today and it started 3 days ago.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Could be from dehydration.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough fat?
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention that but for the last couple of months the skin on the underside of my boobs have been itching like mad and I can see new stretch marks showing! Why does it always have to be the 'girls' who get smaller first??? LOL. Was puzzling why they were itchy, glad its not just me! :p
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Same here. When I started LCHF my skin improved and got smoother but then it started getting drier and itching. It's been months like this.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    @jumanajane.... I'm also itchy there too!! Mines are totally deflated:( My upper arms itch as well. @kuranda10, I'm getting all my fat, I over did the fat yesterday, but I drink a BPC every morning to make sure I reach my fat goal.....
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My mother went through all this when she had her bariatric surgery. It's most likely because your skin is healing from being larger/stretched/microtears, and losing weight quickly exacerbates this feeling. It's the same sort of itching that happens whenever you have a wound and it's healing. It's a good sign! Existing stretch marks visible or internal are especially prone to this. My whole torso is driving me crazy right now, with my breasts and ribcage being the worst. I've lost a ton of inches around my ribs the last few weeks (and not a lot elsewhere, go figure) and the sensation is incredibly distracting. Extra collagen helps your skin rebuild, staying moisturised helps surface irritation, and if it really bothers you, experiment to find what works for you, because depending on the amount of weight lost it can take years for your skin to properly heal and adjust.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    @AreteAndWhimsy ....thanks for the info, I'm relieved to her other people loosing weight are experiencing the same issue. I've been trying to ignore the itch, I thought if I scratched I would end up with more stretch marks, but 2 days ago it go so bad I had to give in.....
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My skin has STOPPED being itchy since LCHF. Funny how our bodies work.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Get some nice emollient cream. E45 is good or Aveeno.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Initially I thought it was living in such a hot climate and it heating up so I was perspiring more but I realised it couldnt be as I am used to it. Ohhhh, the joy of taking underwear off and having a good scratch!!! Hehehehe. I tried all sorts from talc(I know, I know,lol) to emollient cream to Lavender oil(worked well but I ran out) and ended up using just an anti itch cream for bites, irritations etc. Seems to be passing now I'm happy to say.