Stumped and frustrated

Options
I am stumped. I have been doing the low carb diet(works best for me), and I have been under all calories, carbs, and fats. Protein has been great! And I have been exactly the same weight for the last 5 days. 177.9! Any ideas on how to progress??

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Ideas? Throw away the scale. Lol. If your macros are good (high fat low protein) and your calories aren't high, you are doing everything right and your body has to catch up. Last week (week 3) I gained 3 pounds. Stuck with it and whooshed this week but won't reveal the number till official weigh in say on Sunday.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ang, throw the scale away.

5 days is not enough for anything. Weight loss isn't linear. For example, I'll go two weeks without seeing a drop in the number on the scale. Then, all of a sudden, I'll drop 5 or 6 pounds. It happens. It's part of being a living, adapting machine. It's also part of being female (hormonal cycles have a profound effect on the number on the scale).

That said, make sure your calories aren't too low. Lower is not better. You don't need to starve or suffer on this way of eating, so eat if you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied, not because a number on a website says you should or shouldn't.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing.. I know I shojdlnt weigh so often but I do. The first time I ever seriously did low carb I started on a 4th of July and by sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas I lost 89 pounds.... This time around it's been almost 6 weeks and I've essentially only lost 8 pounds.. It was 10 but I keep losing and regaining those two pounds for over a week now.

Just keep with it and know that it'll all eventually come off, it's hard to stay strong sometimes but it's worth it.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'll go with the most obvious idea first - when's your period due? It's pretty common for women to gain right before. It's water weight, and should come off at some point during or right after. As an added bonus, especially if you're low enough for keto, it has a tendancy to shift around your cycle a bit, so things happen sooner or later than you were used to before.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'll also throw in something about the cycle on lc. You're going to see your water retention more, you might see it at ovulation(or mid-cycle if on bc) now too. Because we typically have less water stored than SAD people we notice the change on the scale as a more obvious event.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am on BC and I have very irregular periods. Yes, you are right I started on Friday. However I just had it took weeks ago, so it is really hard to gauge with that. Trust me I try. But thank you for the thoughts, suggestions, and ideas!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'll also throw in something about the cycle on lc. You're going to see your water retention more, you might see it at ovulation(or mid-cycle if on bc) now too. Because we typically have less water stored than SAD people we notice the change on the scale as a more obvious event.

Definitely this. I suddenly lost over a kg after ovulation.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am stumped. I have been doing the low carb diet(works best for me), and I have been under all calories, carbs, and fats. Protein has been great! And I have been exactly the same weight for the last 5 days. 177.9! Any ideas on how to progress??

A way to progress, (when this happens to me), is to do a "skip-a-day-of-eating" water only fast. I do this when I get frustrated and it works every time I try it. Just one day.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ALNoog wrote: »
    I struggle with the same thing.. I know I shojdlnt weigh so often but I do. The first time I ever seriously did low carb I started on a 4th of July and by sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas I lost 89 pounds.... This time around it's been almost 6 weeks and I've essentially only lost 8 pounds.. It was 10 but I keep losing and regaining those two pounds for over a week now.

Just keep with it and know that it'll all eventually come off, it's hard to stay strong sometimes but it's worth it.

8Lbs in 6 weeks is over a pound a week. That's a good pace for anyone. Don't base your perception of success on other people's numbers. Trust me, any rate of loss is still progress.