New to LCHF and have a ?.....

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
Good day!!

I know that my situation is kind of unique. I had gastric bypass on 01.26.15 and have lost a minimal amount of weight. I talked to my surgeon yesterday who also stated I should be doing more low carb, my protein is just right and more fat. Has anyone else here done LCHFMP after having RNY? What was the outcome??

I've read thru a lot of the info on the "Launch Pad" and found it extremely helpful to understand that there isn't a set in stone amount of carbs to be considered LC. As I sit here typing this, I'm eating 140g apple. I wanted something sweet and it was the best choice for me available at work. Can you share what your go to food are? I know nuts are a big one.... but I can't do nuts to much. They cause me issues. I'm looking to go grocery shopping sometime tomorrow and would love to have some ideas of snacks. My meals are pretty easy. A protein with fat and a veggie with butter on it. Yum!!!

Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks/advice.
Cari

Replies

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I find I go off sweet things as I progress. But try low carb fruits like berries. Apples are good - add a little nut butter to up your fat. I eat little cured sausages or salami or smoked salmon sometimes as a snack. Go to 100g carbs a day for a week then 90 for a week and so on till you reach your sweet spot as the cravings die down. Good luck!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I haven't have RNY, so keep that in mind with my advice. I don't do any nuts myself. I have self-control issues with them and some amount of digestive upset.

I find that most of my snacks are ground beef, pork rinds, or bacon (I cook it in advance). I avoid all sweets, even the "safe" artificial ones because they make me crave sweet things and eat more. I avoid most dairy (except butter) because it causes me issues. Alright, I do sometimes have some dairy because I love cheese, but it's not good for me and I know it.

Add more fats to your meals. Try and avoid snacking. I realize you're probably limited to smaller meals, and more of them, than other people. Still, focus your eating on meals. The main thing is to keep your food centered around fat and protein. If you focus on getting the balance of those correct, and avoiding the carbs. It helps a lot with hunger and cravings.

Edit: It would also help if you told us what your protein, fat, and carb goals currently are.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

My protein goal is 80-90g a day; carbs 80-100g; fat not sure. I only try to get 1000 kcals a day, so that only leaves 27-37g of fat. I figured as I lower my carbs weekly, I'd be upping the fat. Should I start lower on the carbs??
  • audra145
    audra145 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would stay lower on the carbs. Try 40 maybe?
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I keep roasted chicken in the fridge to snack on. There's another post about snacks where people talked about salami chips, cheese chips, etc.

How does your RNY manage fat? Does too much fat cause digestive symptoms?
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Good day!!

I know that my situation is kind of unique. I had gastric bypass on 01.26.15 and have lost a minimal amount of weight. I talked to my surgeon yesterday who also stated I should be doing more low carb, my protein is just right and more fat. Has anyone else here done LCHFMP after having RNY? What was the outcome??

I've read thru a lot of the info on the "Launch Pad" and found it extremely helpful to understand that there isn't a set in stone amount of carbs to be considered LC. As I sit here typing this, I'm eating 140g apple. I wanted something sweet and it was the best choice for me available at work. Can you share what your go to food are? I know nuts are a big one.... but I can't do nuts to much. They cause me issues. I'm looking to go grocery shopping sometime tomorrow and would love to have some ideas of snacks. My meals are pretty easy. A protein with fat and a veggie with butter on it. Yum!!!

Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks/advice.
    Cari

I would suggest a Ketogenic diet, which is a "lower" carb diet, usually 0 to 40 grams (max) carbs a day.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hello @carimiller7391 I converted sleeve to RNY on Jan. 20, 2015 because of severe reflux of bile. I wished I'd have found this woe before WLS, but here I am. I never got below 208 pounds with the sleeve but start weight was 318. Was 231 RNY day. Surgeon didn't expect me to lose any weight after RNY, but with this woe I've lost 27 pounds, so far. This woe seems to work very well for me. I'm pretty much zero carb. Satiety is unbelievable. Is a whole new way of thinking about food! Good luck. You are welcome to send me a friend request too. My diary is open to friends.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I've lowered my carbs to 60 to start with. I'm going to work my way down from there.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you can try and get your fats more than your protein as it will stop you getting hungry and stop craving carby things...as long as it doesnt affect your digestion. I havent had RNY but I have had my gallbladder out and I know when I have had a very high fat meal...its goes straight through! Not sure if the same would apply. Maybe if you find out your macros it would help get the proportions right.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    Good luck! Look forward to seeing your progress. :)
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had RNY in 2002. Initially lost, then over 8 years, gained all back. Yes I did. I found that I could graze on carbs all day. Chips, cookies, cake, crackers, and bread just went right thru my stomach and didn't affect me adversely at all. Now I'm off that kind of food. Carbs come from fruits and veggies. Since the RNY, my main issue has been with meat. At first I could barely eat more than a bite or two. Now, as I suspect my stomach is stretched, I can eat a 4 oz. portion. I'm getting sufficient protein and working toward upping the fat. Following the low carb plan is great! Glad you are here, as there's lots of great info!