New to the site and group

Options
josorenson74
josorenson74 Posts: 8 Member
Hello,
My name is Jen, I have a high BMI in the 40's and have been working since the first of the year towards Bariatric surgery. I have a family history filled with diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. I am a type 2 diabetic with sleep apnea, arthritis, scoliosis, and who knows what else. I struggle daily with pain and trying to motivate myself to get more exercise. Through dietary changes I have been able to loose just under 14 lbs in the past 5 months with the assistance of a dietician. I initially was leaning on the side of VSG but after consulting with the doctor he thinks a ByPass would be a better option. My main goal is to be healthy no matter which surgery i ultimately choose. I am looking for friends/people to talk to, who can understand the challenges and triumphs of life post surgery. Looking forward to participating in the group.

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen! Welcome, you found a great group of people here, they provide lots of support and wonderful advice! I for one and soooo grateful I found them <3 You are doing great, congrats on taking control of your health. I was sleeved on 4/7 my BMI was 50 when I started in the program, day of surgery I was 249 with high blood pressure, within a week I was off my meds! Best gift I have ever given myself.
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hello Jen, nice to meet you! I am a type 1 diabetic that also had a BMI in the 40's. I was sleeved on 4/29. This is a great place for motivation, accountability and support. I depend on these folks a lot when I have questions or I am feeling lost. I am still kinda new but if there is anything I can do or answer any questions feel free to hit me up.

Randee
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen. I was sleeved on May 7 with a highest weight (HW) of 366 and a surgery weight (SW) of 326. I am now in my 4th week post op and I am at 319 today. It doesn't show much off since surgery but I am retaining water like no body's business. The surgeon took me off my water pill after surgery so I wouldn't get dehydrated. I see my family doctor on Monday and bet she will put me back on it as I am swelling like crazy. I always do when the weather turns warmer. Perhaps then my weight loss will be better reflected.
    Feel free to write posts anytime to ask any questions you may have. We are here for one another.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • valschlecht
    valschlecht Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jen. It's nice to have you as part of the group. I had a BMI of 44, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, neuropathy, arthritis, anxiety, depression, and more pain than I could live with. I am 6 weeks post-op (April 21), have lost a total of 67 pounds since last July when I started on the WLS journey and am off all pills for diabetes, HBP, high cholesterol, and pain meds. Still in pain, but much more manageable. Not a single regret and getting stronger daily. Welcome to a new world filled with awesome victories, success and increased self-esteem. Best wishes! Val
  • Gleno97
    Gleno97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen. This surgery was the best thing to happen to me in a long time. I wish you well.
  • bookerlr
    bookerlr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen! I was sleeved 2/18/15 and it was the best decision ever. I suffered from diabetes and was on insulin and oral medication. Now I am no longer on insulin and I am technically on 1 pill a day but my sugar is great without it. You will have great support here.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Ask anything on your mind. We have a great number of veterans and folks just post-surgery.

The most important thing I learned pre-surgery is that there is a wide breadth of experiences and while no one can predict your path, it will likely be somewhere in the range you will read about here.

Read a few pages of topics here and add some friends from all stages of the process.

Hit your pre-surgery program hard and load as much as you can while learning the habits and behaviors you will need post surgery.

Best of luck,

Rob
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen! I started with a BMI of 43 and was 277.5lbs at my heaviest, I was sleeved in December and am now at a BMI of 27 :) Good luck! This community is a great resource! I don't think I would have been as successful without it
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on May 7 with a highest weight (HW) of 366 and a surgery weight (SW) of 326. I am now in my 4th week post op and I am at 319 today.

Inspiring to me! I had the same start weight. Way to go!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Jen! I was sleeved on 2/17/15. This is an AMAZING place for support. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey Jen! Welcome to the the group!

I had my sleeve done back in September of last year. At my heaviest I was around 450 lbs, but when I had my sleeve done I was at 358 lbs with a BMI of 53. :#

Last time I weighed myself I was at 234 lbs. (I haven't weighed myself today...that's in about 30 minutes or so.)

But like it has been said, develop your habits now before your surgery, learn everything you can, and if you need it come here for support & advice. We're all in this together. ;)

89019335.png
    (Quote from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.)
  • BEENVSGD
    BEENVSGD Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen. I was sleeved on May 7 with a highest weight (HW) of 366 and a surgery weight (SW) of 326. I am now in my 4th week post op and I am at 319 today. It doesn't show much off since surgery but I am retaining water like no body's business. The surgeon took me off my water pill after surgery so I wouldn't get dehydrated. I see my family doctor on Monday and bet she will put me back on it as I am swelling like crazy. I always do when the weather turns warmer. Perhaps then my weight loss will be better reflected.
    Feel free to write posts anytime to ask any questions you may have. We are here for one another.

I too had my surgery on May 7th. My highest recorded weight was 391. I was 327 when I turned to WLS. Surgery weight was 318, my current weight is 291 :smiley:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen! I am another one who started with a very high BMI. My starting weight was 382, I lost 70 lbs prior to surgery and 138 since. If there is any advice I can give, it would be to second Rob's advice and hit your program hard and make as many changes as you can before your surgery. I totally believe it's what helped me have an easy recovery and success post surgery. Taking my health into my own hands and choosing surgery is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Good luck to you!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    HI Jen,
    I'm also new and was sleeved on 4/8/15. So not quite 2 months out, but am 38lbs down from when I weighed at my surgeons office on Mar 5, and 31lbs down from walking into the hospital. So far I'm thrilled that I went through with it, and my recovery has been pretty easy. I didn't have many co-mobidities yet, but knew I was walking down the path towards them. Do your research, and good luck if you decide that this is the path you're ready to take!
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen I am right there with you in that I haven't had my surgery yet either. In fact I only got started this past Friday with seeing my PCP who did send the referral to the surgeon's office. They contacted me Monday and I filled out the application and sent it off yesterday. Now I am waiting for them to call back to set up the consultation.
    I am Amanda 59 years old and once weighed 497 pounds. I have managed to lose over the past 8 years 145 pounds through diet and some sit down exercises. However within the past year I have only been able to lose 38 pounds and felt it was time to look into WLS. I have so many Co-morbidies I don't know if I will even be accepted and have no idea if my insurance will even pay for it or if I would have any co-pays. I too came onto the website to read about others whom have gone though the sleeve and to obtain as much information as possible. Am also looking for friends, so feel free to send me a request and we can support each other. Any one else feel free to also send a request. I sure could use all the friends I can get as I have no family. :)
  • Cronniss
    Options
    @ssbeadlady Most insurances will pretty much automatically cover bariatric surgery as long as it is not "elective." (Pretty much if your doctor suggests it, they'll cover it.) Especially if you're diabetic. The reason for this is that in the long run it is much, MUCH cheaper for them to cover the cost of this one surgery and the follow up appointments than it is to cover the cost of the medications that you are currently on, will continue to take, and whatever other health problems that you may develop in the future that may be caused or influenced by your weight.

Also, I sent you a friend request. ;) If anyone else would like a new friend, please feel free to add me.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen! I'm also Jen. I had RNY on 2/19/15. It's the best decision I've ever made. I've lost over 70 pounds so far - I feel better and have more energy. I also think this is a great group - welcome and good luck on you journey! Adding you as a friend.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cronniss wrote: »
    @ssbeadlady Most insurances will pretty much automatically cover bariatric surgery as long as it is not "elective." (Pretty much if your doctor suggests it, they'll cover it.) Especially if you're diabetic. The reason for this is that in the long run it is much, MUCH cheaper for them to cover the cost of this one surgery and the follow up appointments than it is to cover the cost of the medications that you are currently on, will continue to take, and whatever other health problems that you may develop in the future that may be caused or influenced by your weight.

Also, I sent you a friend request. ;) If anyone else would like a new friend, please feel free to add me.

I got a call today for my consultation which is scheduled for Wed June 17th. What happens during the consultation? We still have no idea if I will be approved as of March 2014 I was not diabetic but I do have many other physical issue. I was told my insurance does not approve WLS unless they feel it is medically necessary. So some how I have to prove it is medically necessary. I did accept your friend request. You have done a wonderful job once you got the surgery. I would also say your family made you sick during your visits. Glad you stayed away and got the surgery.
  • Cronniss
    Options
    Thank you. :)

During the consultation they go basically go over what the surgery is, what it will do for you, why you need it, and to see if you're ready for the first steps of the process. There's usually a psychological interview as well.

If your physician has sent you to a bariatric surgeon for a consultation, chances are you'll be approved. Especially if you have other issues tied to your weight. It doesn't take much to prove that it is medically necessary. (And insurance companies love it when they can save money....and they see nothing but dollar signs when they hear bariatrics.)