Newbie Runner

Options
ronald3haney
ronald3haney Posts: 15 Member
I haven't started running yet, I've been working my way up to it. I've been walking a lot more so that I can ease myself into it. Thursday 6 miles/Friday 10.7 miles/Saturday 6.1 miles/Today 13.3 miles. I want to eventually be able to run comfortably for an extended period. I'm looking for advice on what I should be doing to ease myself into running.

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Try couch to 5k and see how you get on. Aerobically I think you will cope, this will be more about you, seeing yourself as a runner. Good luck
  • whatshewants
    whatshewants Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would just start the C25K program and watch how you do it. Don't push yourself and focus on completion. Slow and steady really does seem to win here. You will get there eventually. I just started Week 3 of the program and was surprised that I could do it without collapsing.
  • rosalee350
    rosalee350 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started with C5k also..
    I am.not a runner either, but the best think to do is get a couple of friends , CO workers so you can in courage each other..
    Good luck.
    You can do it..
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with all the above. Do C25K :) Take it slowly and steadily and it's AMAZING! But a bit of advice...get some advice from a proper running shop and get fitted for a decent pair of running shoes. At the beginning I didn't think I needed "proper" trainers and ended up with REALLY achy knees and calves. Someone one this site recommended I get a fitted for a pair of decent trainers- and they have been the best thing I've bought in ages!

I'm now on week 5. Before this I never thought I would be able to run for 30 seconds, let alone 10 minutes. I'm overweight, wobble when I run and always considered myself grossly unfit. I run at a very slow pace but am slowly improving the length of time I can keep going for. I have amazed myself by how well I've done to date, thanks to this programme.

In short, if I can manage it, anyone who can put one foot in front of the other can do it! Good luck- let everyone know how you get on. :)