Frozen Steak for Dinner?

Options
slimzandra
slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
So, I think most red meat can be cooked straight out of the freezer, by keeping the temperature low and increasing the cooking time. It works for ribs, but I seem to dry out my steaks.
I think my poultry is worse. I've always looked for a secret to prep. Soaking the freezer bag in Hot water, nuke it first. LOL. Someone sent me this link which is interesting, and I'll try it tonight. Are there any other ideas to help make the perfect steak, even if it was frozen?

http://www.sciencealert.com/watch-heres-how-you-cook-a-frozen-steak?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=Website&utm_campaign=InArticleReadMore

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    oh, I thought you were making a smoothie out of it ;)

I've had success in cooking thinner cuts right from the freezer like a t-bone, couple minutes on each side...depends on the doneness you prefer too. I tend to grill at a very high temp, to try to retain as much moisture as I can, but not sure I'd do a thick cut steak from frozen.

One thing I've learned though with thawing my frozen meats, if they are in vacuum-sealed bags, REMOVE before thawing or the package will suck every last bit of moisture out of the meat as it thaws & you will have a tough/dry steak...fish filets too.

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I thaw my meats in a bag with some type of marinade. I think the salts and vinegars help keep it tender.
  • slimzandra
    Options
    Good Stuff. Thanks. I used to be the queen of takeout and eating out at restaurants. I'm just learning the fine art of cooking, not just heating. Oh, @Jodeh, I tried your poppers with the bacon wrap and cream cheese. I bought some awesome jalapeno peppers at Wegmans. So good. The bacon stuck to the grill and the pepper slipped out of the jacket. I suppose more oil on the grill? or turn them sooner? Toothpick the bacon down? LOL
    It's an adventure! Anyway, I managed to put the pieces back together, and it was awesome.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Good Stuff. Thanks. I used to be the queen of takeout and eating out at restaurants. I'm just learning the fine art of cooking, not just heating. Oh, @Jodeh, I tried your poppers with the bacon wrap and cream cheese. I bought some awesome jalapeno peppers at Wegmans. So good. The bacon stuck to the grill and the pepper slipped out of the jacket. I suppose more oil on the grill? or turn them sooner? Toothpick the bacon down? LOL
    It's an adventure! Anyway, I managed to put the pieces back together, and it was awesome.

Toothpicks to hold them together, though if you're grilling them, make sure to soak the toothpicks in water for a while so they don't catch fire.

Also, as backwards as this sounds, try not turning them as often and let the bacon cook a little more before turning them. Bacon, especially, has a tendency to stick early in the heating, but then unstick later on. It does kind of depend on the bacon you have, though, so you will likely need to experiment a little.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    oh man, sorry to hear about the bacon lol

Dragonwolf is right though, they tend to not stick once they get cooking.

I slice my peppers lengthwise in half & spread the cream cheese inside, then take about a half slice of bacon & wrap around to cover (one layer of bacon, not too thick). I heat my grill on high (I have three burners), then shut off center burner & place them on the middle grate & indirectly cook until they are crispy, I don't move them. Helps avoid flare-ups too. I've done them in the oven on a baking sheet with a wire rack as well...I'd say 400f for about 15-20 min.

A friend of mine does his w/ peanut butter instead of cream cheese, I haven't tried that yet, but it seems like that would just melt & run right out of them. He doesn't cook his bacon long enough for my liking either, could be why he doesn't lose any pb. Bleh.

I haven't been having any luck getting good hot/spicy 'penos for a good year now, they may as well be green bell peppers, pfft.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    oh man, sorry to hear about the bacon lol

Dragonwolf is right though, they tend to not stick once they get cooking.

I slice my peppers lengthwise in half & spread the cream cheese inside, then take about a half slice of bacon & wrap around to cover (one layer of bacon, not too thick). I heat my grill on high (I have three burners), then shut off center burner & place them on the middle grate & indirectly cook until they are crispy, I don't move them. Helps avoid flare-ups too. I've done them in the oven on a baking sheet with a wire rack as well...I'd say 400f for about 15-20 min.

A friend of mine does his w/ peanut butter instead of cream cheese, I haven't tried that yet, but it seems like that would just melt & run right out of them. He doesn't cook his bacon long enough for my liking either, could be why he doesn't lose any pb. Bleh.

I haven't been having any luck getting good hot/spicy 'penos for a good year now, they may as well be green bell peppers, pfft.

I do them at 325 (smoke point - I like saving my bacon grease to cook with). I bake them on a raised grate to help with even cooking of the bacon, and actually bake them upside down the first 10-15 minutes, then flip them over for the rest of the time. Sometimes I end up doing a quick broil on the tops to make it all bubbly once everything else is well crisped.

And I've gotten to the point where I don't have to use toothpicks at all anymore. It's all about the wrap, how you sit them, and tucking when necessary.
  • slimzandra
    Options
    Ahhh.. I see where I can improve!, Yea, I'm not buying the PB effort. The "tuck" would be easier with halves.
    Thanks! d8kjebq446s9.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You can also parboil or partially pre-cook the bacon to make it wrap easier, but honestly, I just kind of let everything come to room temp as I'm building. My fiance loves these hot or cold, so I almost never make less than 3 dozen peppers (halved, so 6 dozen pieces)...so everything has plenty of time.

Now that's a bouquet I can get behind! I'm allergic to most flowers!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Here is the method from Bon Appetit magazine (April 2015 issue). They also advocate cooking from frozen. I wouldn't use canola oil, though.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Ahhh.. I see where I can improve!, Yea, I'm not buying the PB effort. The "tuck" would be easier with halves.
    Thanks! d8kjebq446s9.jpg

Bacon roses! Must forward to potential boyfriends! ;):D
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Cook them in the oven. On a sheet of baking paper.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I bought my hubby a gizmo just for poppers on the barbecue for his b'day. He grills not me. So can't wait for him to open it & try it out (b'day) isn't for couple weeks yet.