May 2015 Challenge ~ May 25th - May 31st

Options
cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,419 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
15-MINUTE TOTAL-BODY WORKOUT

HIGH SCHOOL REUNION WORKOUT #2

Borrowed from: The Women's Health Big Book of 15 Minute Workouts

DO 12 TO 15 REPS FOR EACH EXERCISE *** Do the entire workout 2 or 3 times.

LEGS UP PUSHUP WORKS: Chest, arms, shoulders, core

• Assume a pushup position w/your feet on a low step or sturdy stack of books propped against a wall and your hands on the floor directly below your shoulders.
• Bend your elbows and lower your chest until your upper arms are parallel to the floor
• Press back to the starting position.

SINGLE-LEG TOE TOUCH SQUAT WORKS: Glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves

• Grab a dumbbell in each hand and keep your arms at your sides.
• Stand in a lunge position w/your left foot forward and both knees bent so your right knee grazes the floor.
• Stand by straightening your left leg; extend and lift your tight foot off the floor behind you, pointing your toes.
• Bend your left leg into a squat while keeping your right leg extended and allowing only your toes to touch the floor. Repeat 12 to 15 times, then repeat w/your right leg.

SQUAT AND PRESS WORKS: Arms, shoulders, glutes, hamstrings

• Grab a dumbbell in each hand and stand w/your feet hip- to shoulder-width apart.
• Your palms should face your thighs. Now bend your knees and drop your butt back as though you're sitting in a chair.
• Push back to stand up while you bend your elbows and curl the dumbbells, keeping your palms facing in, to your shoulders.
• As you reach the standing position, immediately press the weights overhead.
• Lower the dumbbells to your shoulders and then to your sides.
That is 1 rep.

BICYCLE CRUNCH WORKS: Core

• Lie faceup on the floor w/your feet raised, knees bent, calves parallel to the floor.
• Place your hands loosely behind your head.
• Pull your navel to your spine and contract your abs to bring your head and shoulders off the floor.
• Twist your tight shoulder toward your left knee as your straighten your right leg (extend your right arm to the outside of the knee for a bonus challenge).
• Return to the starting position and twist your left shoulder toward your tight knee while straightening your left leg.
That is 1 rep.

CURTSY SALUTE WORKS: Shoulders, glutes, quads, hamstrings

• Grab a lightweight dumbbell with your left hand and stand w/your feet hip-distance apart.
• Place your right hand on your hip
• Take a giant step back w/your left leg, crossing it behind your right as in a curtsy
• Bend your knees and lower your hips until your right thigh is parallel to the floor.
• At the same time, raise your left arm straight out in front of you to shoulder height. Return to the starting position.

WIDE ROW (BENT-OVER ROW) WORKS: Biceps, shoulders, upper back

• Grab a 3- to 8-pound dumbbell in each hand. Stand straight and keep your arms at your sides, palms facing backward.
• Bend forward at the hips, allowing your arms to hang straight.
• Squeeze your shoulder blades together and pull the dumbbells to the sides of your ribs, then lower them to the starting position.

BUTTERFLY PLIE WORKS: Biceps, glutes, hamstrings

• Grab a dumbbell in each hand and let your arms hang naturally at your sides, palms facing forward.
• Stand in a wide straddle stance w/your toes pointed outward.
• Squat until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Your knees should not travel past your toes, and your butt should not dip lower than your knees.
• As you squat, bend your elbows and curl the weights toward your shoulders. Return to the starting position.

Have fun with this. It's only 15 minutes!!

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Replies

• cpanus
    Options
    However...if you'd rather be doing the arm exercises...

Tank Top Arms

15 Push Ups
    24 Bicep Burners (8 full bicep curls, 8 half bicep curls, 8 full bicep curls)
    15 Shoulder Presses
    15 Push Ups
    15 Tricep Dips
    15 Back Rows
    15 Lateral Raises
    10 Pushups
    15 Tricep Kickbacks
    20 Tricep Pulse Backs

Do these exercises twice. Modify or skip where necessary. Use the heaviest weight you can and increase your weight throughout the week.

Have a great week, everyone!

Chris
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Happy Memorial Day everyone!
  • cpanus
    Options
    Thanks, Clara!

Hit the gym with DDD this morning and met w/our trainer. She destroyed us for 70 minutes, then I walked with DH and Bean, then I walked by myself, then I took Bean home. It is beautiful here today! My kind of weather. I managed a total of 8.77 miles for 17,330 steps so far today.

I'm going to read for a while.

Have a great rest of Monday and a terrific Tuesday!

Chris
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for Mexico. B) Yes it's finally here...tomorrow is my 56th birthday. :) My guy has given me the best birthday gift...5 days at a wonderful resort. It's an all inclusive so plenty of food and booze. Not worried about the food...now the booze is another story. ;)

We will be back on Saturday and the summer tennis season starts Sunday. No, I will not be playing but I will be there to cheer the team on to victory.

Have a great week everyone! I will be back refocused on reaching my goals.

Happy Memorial Day! I'm proud to say my brother is a retired 24 year Air Force veteran. So proud of him for his service to our country!

Kathy
  • cpanus
    Options
    Kathy have total fun on your trip. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! and THANK YOU! to your brother for his part in keeping our country safe!

Chris
  • cpanus
    Options
    Walked for 5 miles with DH and Bean then went off by myself for a quicker 4 miles. Waited until DDD got off work to see if she wanted to go shopping, but she wasn't feeling it. I got her a Fitbit HR as a 'feel better' present. Our trainer wants her to be aware of her heart rate while she's exercising and her Fitbit wasn't the HR. Now it is. Anyway, I did a lot in 2 1/2 hours. It was pretty fun!

Our weather is beautiful. A lady drove by this morning and took a picture of our lawn. She and her husband are going to pull up their grass and she liked how our front yard turned out. Looking for ideas I guess. It made me smile though.

Okay, 12.37 miles for 25,249 steps so far today. Now I'm going to read.

Have a grand Wednesday!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,893 Member
    Options
    Kathy hope you are having a great time. Wish we could be there with. And the booze. ;) Love your daylilies! :blush: Happy Birthday! Your brother is an air force veteran! :smiley: So fantastic.

Paula how is work treating you? And did you work on that phone number?

Chris about them clues, really? No Burpees is not a name. Lol. You have been very busy. Our weather has Benn chilly and rainy. The dog park had flooded pathways. :'( Still went though. I have to take off a few pounds that found me over the last few weeks. And now I would like to see a photo of your yard. Must be great for others to want to mimic it. Is your DDD having a bit of baby sickness? Hope she feels better soon.

Well my neck is still a bit sore. So seeing a doctor tomorrow. Went to Fort Collins last week. Brought home a new fish, some corals and fine gravel for the tank. I did order a custom sump. Now I am broke for sure. Rocky is off to Las Vegas on Saturday for a week. He is going with our friend Mark. Now whatever will I do by myself? B)

Must find my pillow.

Shelley

• cpanus
    Options
    Shelley...your post on last week's thread says...

Chris that is an established bed. The peony is at least ten years old. And most of the lupine I started from seed a few years ago. The iris that is closest was crossed from two named one's. A friend of mine did the crossing. I just loved this one so he gave it to me. :) That garden is all in pastels in the spring time. Hundreds of hyacinths. They smell yummy.

Thanks for the compliment. I am having a tour in late June. A nearby church asked me if I would join their garden walk and allow them to come by. Should be loads of fun. B) I wish you were all closer. We could have a picnic and enjoy the flowers. And Chris you could come up with word puzzles for us to solve.

Kathy I hope you are having fun.

Night now,

Shelley
    *************************************************************************************************************
    Didn't know how else to get it here.

I hope your walk and talk is fun and it would be fun for all of us to come for a picnic and some beer...ah, tea. And I would come up with some word puzzles for us to solve where the beer would be necessary. :p

Got new walking shoes today!! About time. My feet complain constantly...this is me whining... :s !

Walked with DH and Bean for 5 miles in 2 1/2 hours this morning then went off by myself for 4 miles in 61 minutes. I ended up with 11.64 miles and 23,588 steps.

I helped an older lady get into her car on my walk...she had a walking cane and looked fragile as she walked around the car to the driver's door. She was there for a bit and as I passed, I asked if I could help her. She said she couldn't open her door. She had the wrong key...I opened the door and held it while she got in...it took a while. Her neighbor came out to get his mail and she mentioned that he usually helped her. When she was all settled I started off again and passed the neighbor. I said the 'lady was a sweetheart' and he agreed. Then I thought...if she couldn't figure out which key to use to open her car door, maybe she shouldn't be on the road... egad! And my fingerprints are all over her key ring...the car door...the cane...

I hope your Friday is fab!!

Chris

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,700 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh Shelley,

I love garden tours. People create such wonderful magical beautiful spaces. Did you know you can google my address (La Honda, CA) and see where I live? Up here we have redwood groves and babbling brooks. And beaches and ranch lands.

I wish we all lived closer too. Save us tour tickets, okay? Can we get backstage passes for the aquariums too? And drinks at the gazebo after we've finished our workout and relaxed by the hot tub... sigh :ohwell:

Chris, We took away MIL's keys. She hadn't renewed her license in a few years and we were afraid she'd drive somewhere and forget where she was or hurt someone. We tell her she can have them back when she renews her license. :laugh: Not going to happen, and she knows it. So she pouts (cuz she wants cigs and gin). But she has people who will get them for her. It's just the loss of independence, you know? It's a difficult transition...

:flowerforyou: Paula
  • cpanus
    Options
    Paula I was thinking that if the neighbor who normally helps her didn't say anything, she was good to go. Just hope she made it to her hairdresser.

Today was beautiful! DH, Bean and I walked for a long, long time then I was done. My body was yelling at me.

Gym tomorrow morning with the kids! Then some walking w/DH and Bean...then...maybe the fair. Depends on DDD and how she's feeling.

I managed 7.05 miles for 15,402 steps...not too bad!

Have a great evening, everyone!

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    I was approached by an elderly couple (turns out they're 86 & 90 - the 90 yr old was driving - and doing fine) at the post office. They couldn't get into their daughter's gated home (a mile down the road) and hadn't brought a phone. When I called, she didn't answer. So we drove to her gate to try again.

But they missed the road (turns out it's pretty hidden in the trees) and we took a drive down towards the ocean. They stopped and I got the address (either 1851 or 1815 or 8151 or 8115) and helped them find it (8115). The DD didn't pick up again, and I thought of hiking up there, but a mile... on my knee... and a "beware dogs" persuaded me "no". Then as we were searching for another number, she called me back.

She'd visited them that afternoon and was going to again tomorrow, but had left her purse at their house. They brought it up to her so she wouldn't have to drive without it. :bigsmile: So cute. The daughter was a little flustered, but it turned out they got to visit. I shook the SIL's hand when he came down to open the gate, and then I left.

The DD was my age. Wonder if she's going through what we are with our 94yrold MIL. Glad mine doesn't have keys.

Physical therapy today. Good workout. What used to take two hours only takes one now. I can really pedal and push and stretch. My mind expects it to be normal, and is surprised that it is not. :ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Paula
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So glad my MIL is not driving anymore. We all knew she shouldn't be driving and while we were gearing up to have The Talk, she fell and broke her hip. So we didn't need to take the keys away.
    Good job on the physical therapy Paula!
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Chris lets all hope she can drive better than she can get into the car. New shoes, I need a photo!

Hmmm, seems like Paula is doing her share of good deeds also. You both made someone's day a brighter one. <3

Well going to go find my dinner. Hubby went to Las Vegas with a friend all week. So it is all up to me. I did not even mind mowing the yard. ;) And of course the boys went for a walk with me. :) I mixed up a batch of potassium nitrate in RODI water. Then dosed my tank with 2 ml. Of the dilution. Hoping that by adding some nitrates my carbon dosing will have better results. Crossing fingers.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Shelley my thought exactly! Someone made my day today! We were at Costco and a woman about my age asked me what products I use on my hair to make it do what it does. I told her ...with DDD's help...and she said she really liked it. Mine is curly on top and came in kinda salt & pepper, hers was all white and straight. I was lucky. Anyway, it made me feel good.

I walked with DDD this morning then shopped then made a new soup...well, I sort of made the basic soup before, but I changed it up this time. I got Costco peanut butter to put in it, but the Kirkland brand isn't as good as Adam's. Chances are, I won't have any problem with it in the refrigerator. Or maybe, my peanut butter obsession is gone...ah, nopey, nope...I would devour a jar of Adam's in an instant if it were anywhere near me...and I would not share!!!

Okay, time to read. Have a grand Sunday!

Chris

• KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I'm home...arrived late yesterday evening. It was the best trip. :) The resort was beyond and more than lived up to my expectations. Lots & lots of food & alcohol but I think I did ok because the resort was so large we walked a lot everyday.

We had a beachfront suite so every place we went required a walk. We didn't use the club carts like a lot if people did...we walked. Also our excursions required a lot of exercise as well. I'll tell you more later.

I will always remember this trip...maybe the best ever. We "changed for dinner" every night. Ron loved my dresses. I remember my meltdown a couple of months ago and how you all calmed me down and said I would find the perfect dresses...just wait awhile...you all were right. I don't think I've ever wore a dress 4 nights in a row. Ron's compliments made me love him even more...he made me feel so special. <3 Overall a fantastic birthday trip. :)

I'm headed out to support the team. Today is our first tennis match of the summer season. I'm playing cheerleader today. Too tired to play.

Happy Sunday!

Kathy
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Welcome back Kathy. Hope you post us some photos! So glad you had loads of fun. I can envision you twirling with your new dress on. Those carts are people who cannot get around. Not for the able bodied. You did great to not use them. So happy for you. :)B)

Chris that is awesome. I am sure you were beaming from the compliment. o:) I had a lady stop by and ask me where I had gotten my iris from. She liked the one that a friend gave me that he got as seeds off his plant. She looked so disappointed that I had to give her one. Turned that frown into a smile. Lol. Speaking of peanut butter.......I spread some on toast for breakfast! Yummy, I would have shared. Creamy Jiff!

Shelley
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Must be a peanut butter kind of day - mine was on apple slices. Adams is the best! Yummers! Yesterday my muscles felt all jangly, don't know why. Tried to work it out (dumbbells, stretches) but it didn't help. They needed to be be beat into exhaustion and I'm just not up for that kind of exertion yet.

Shelley, All my irises came up (leafs only) except for one little nubbin. Can't wait till next year to see them!

Sitting in the sunshine is good for the soul. Kathy, pictures of your pretty dresses?

Luv all,
    :flowerforyou: paula
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. Hope everyone got to enjoy their holiday weekend last weekend. We had a family picnic and just chilled out. Weather is hit or miss here. One day the humidity is just God awful and the next you have long sleeves and a coat on. uGH!
    Started my new job on Tuesday. I had forgotten how physical material handling was, lol. Feels good though to feel like I worked all day again.
    DD graduates this Thursday and it is giving me butterflies already. I already packed the big tissue pack in my purse so I have them all ready. And my lovely Dr. Gave me some anxiety medication just in case I feel like I am going to lose it.

Kathy Happy Belated Birthday. Glad to hear your trip was some special for you. Getting away is so much fun.

Good night and enjoy the week ladies.

Lynnette
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Lynette just remember, they always need their mothers! But great idea having the tissue handy. Now put a good camera in there also. And now you are getting your workouts at work again. :p Save those pills for her wedding! Muahaha! B)

Paula I like ambrosia Apple's. Sweet and crunchy. :) Paula they are planted with the top part of the rhizone showing right? If not pull some of the soil away. Maybe your body is telling you to rest a bit. :)

Shelley
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Paula I so did not know we could comment under Kathy's inspirational posts! But you did you stinker. :p

Shelley