Wish I Had Measured Myself

Options
Artemis68
Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
So, after seeing the facebook post of one of our members with the scale barely moving but noticeable size loss, I really wish I had taken my measurements when I started.

In the first two weeks I lose 7.5lbs. In that last two weeks... nothing. In fact, this weekend I worked my *kitten* off building a railroad tie retaining wall. Lifting ties, using a sledgehammer, up and down the stairs to the cottage and this morning the scale showed me I'm back to where I started with my weight!!!!! I'm like WHAT???!!! How can that be??

But... on Thursday when I had a couple friends over, one of them said 'wow, you've lost weight! I can totally tell'. And even my husband asked how much I've lost now because I look thinner (although he could have just been trying to get some... that's the closest he can get to a compliment).

So, newbies... MEASURE YOURSELF FROM THE START. That way you're not relying on what the scale says and then getting discouraged when it doesn't move.

And to the not newbies... can I please hear your stories of weight loss vs. inches lost? I need some encouragement. Thanks so much.

PS... I should say one thing about the energy I had... I worked that hard for two days in a row, at least 6 hrs a day. I felt FANTASTIC! My husband, who is not LCing got absolutely famished part way through the say, like shaking hungry. Meanwhile, I had a BPC for breakfast and at 1pm had to force myself to eat something as I wasn't hungry at all.... and yes I was working just as hard. :-) I was amazed how much energy I had.

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's honestly don't measure, although I probably should. It's rare for me to go a whole week and not lose any weight. Before I might not had lost weight for a day or two, but since I started tracking my food and using a pedometer, I've been losing weight every day. I do weigh myself daily because I like to know what my weight is even if there will be fluctuations. I'm 1.5 lbs away from only needing to lose 20 lbs so I feel tracking calories are pretty important for me at this stage.
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for five days. I listed my starting weight but not inches. Today I decided to log my inches. It will be interesting to see the results.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I just measured my waist due to this thread, and I'm a little skinnier than the last time I measured. :)

I don't usually bother because it's hard to measure accurately. How I look and feel matters more to me than either weight or circumference.

That energy and endurance you experienced during yardwork -- that's my favorite benefit by far.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I measure once a week on my weight day, i also do so in order to calculate my BMI/Body fat and adjust my calories accordingly. Tomorrow will be 4 months since i've started, I've lost 3 dress sizes, 3 inches in my waist and 5 inches in my hips, body fat from 32% to 21.7%
    Measuring helps and to me it's a better indication of my progress vs. scale. I also workout with cardio and strength so that helps as well.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I just measured my waist due to this thread, and I'm a little skinnier than the last time I measured. :)

I don't usually bother because it's hard to measure accurately. How I look and feel matters more to me than either weight or circumference.

That energy and endurance you experienced during yardwork -- that's my favorite benefit by far.

I agree with the measuring. I go by how I look in the mirror and clothes. The mirror is where I see the most progress, which is great, but I measure and weight because I want numerical data.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you want to measure, this is an excellent guide:
    http://strengthunbound.com/measure-body-fat-easily-accurately-home/
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks in. Down 13.8 lbs and 21 inches (from chest, waist, hips, thighs and arms)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to start though. I lost 7.5 inches (3.5 in my waist alone) during May! Which is my third month LCHF. Don't have total inches lost in front of me. I will post those later. The inches lost has been amazing though. I've gone from a size 22 to a snug 16, so far. Top was 2-3X and now is XL and getting loose too!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My son is 6'4" at 17 and very strong. A couple Saturdays ago we were down at the church putting in a curtain drain/french drain around a building site and worked very late. I was on the backhoe and he was working in the trench getting the rock level which was very hard work while I have age and disabilities from arthritis against me. He was begging to stop for the day but we had both ate well at 2 PM. When I reminded him of that he said but I had carbs and you had fat that last longer than carbs.

At least he knows the advantages of being a fat burner. :)

I really wished I had measured at the start but I did not know one could lose inches and the scales not show any loss. The other day when I was working around the place I put on an old part of pants that had been maxed out just to fasten under my belly and now were lose at the level of my belly button. My daughter mentioned she did not know I was that much smaller.

I do think the healthier one is the faster the scales may drop. My health was failing fast before LCHF but as my new photo shows my health seems to be returning. One person who I had not seen me in about a year mentioned how even the white of my eyes were much more white now. We may just adjust to our looks since the changes are slow day by day.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd measure too! I only measured around my lower stomach (my fattest part) and have lost sooo much fat from elsewhere with no way to actually record the quantity. My stomach hasn't shrunk very much because of my age, and the scales move slowly according to what they feel like doing. Yet I can see my cousin eyeing me up in that special way of hers; she's the petite one and doesn't like it when I come anywhere close to threatening that ROFL It'll never happen anyway because she's petite-boned and I'm a sherman tank so I don't know why she bothers being concerned.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @GrannyMayOz! Lol! I doubt you are a Sherman tank, lol! May not ever be petite but you could be a sleek Humvee! Thanks for the laugh this morning! Some people seem threatened by ur weight loss and treat us differently. I've lost some good friends with my weight loss, but when they can find it in themselves to support men that gotta go! Life pruning happens and then you find out who your true supporters are! :wink:
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    And @GaleHawkins, your last comments need to be in the NSV thread too! Good for you! I'm completely in your boat with you! :smile: