Recipes.

Options
124»

Replies

• tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd share what I had for dinner on Friday night--a sardine sandwich! I know it sounds gross but if you like tuna sandwiches it's not really any different. In fact, I actually liked it better than tuna. I hadn't used a bunch of my containers for the day so I was looking for a quick way to use them up. Anyway, here's what I used:

2 slices whole grain bread (I use Dave's Killer Bread 21 grain thin sliced, only 60 cal a slice)
    1 can ~ 4-5 oz sardines (I used oil packed because that's all I had)
    Red onion (chopped, a couple tbsp)
    Tomato slices
    Spinach/arugula
    1 Hard boiled egg sliced
    1/4 avocado
    Dijon mustard

I mashed up the sardines in a bowl and added about 2-3 tbsp dijon mustard as well as a couple tbsp chopped red onion I had left over along with some of the all purpose 21 day fix seasoning, some dill, celery seed, and black pepper. Put whatever seasonings you would normally put in your tuna.
    Then, I toasted the bread and spread it with a little bit more of a different homemade mustard I had since mustard is free and proceeded to build my sandwich.
    I only used half of the mixture of sardines and then layered that with some greens, a couple tomato slices, a sliced hard boiled egg and then spread half an avocado on the top piece of bread and thats it!

In containers I used:
    2 yellows for the bread (you could also just throw the sardine mixture on top of a salad if you don't want to devote 2 yellows to a sandwich)
    1 red between the sardines and hard boiled egg
    1 green (approximately) between the onions, tomatoes and greens
    1 blue for the avocado
    I also counted 2 of my tsp since I used oil packed sardines

I know it doesn't take a lot of thought to make a sandwich but I just thought I'd share to give people some new ideas, especially since sardines are on the top of the red list and they're not part of a lot of peoples' normal diet.

Thanks to everyone for all the recipes listed here.
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    @haleymiller0707 asked for this recipe. It is really good!!!

Butternut and Turkey Autumn Stuffing Bake
    Makes 4 Servings
    (Each serving: 1 Red, ½ Purple, 1 green and optional blue)

Ingredients
    3 Red containers - cooked lean ground turkey
    1 Small Butternut squash – about 3 green
    2 apples chopped – 2 Purple
    1 onion, chopped – 1 green
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 eggs – 1 Red
    Shredded Cheddar cheese – 4 blue containers
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Coconut oil spray

Slice the butternut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes at 400 or until squash is soft when you pierce it with a fork. (I ran out of time for this step so I used the microwave)

In the meantime, brown your turkey and set aside. Coat pan with coconut oil spray and sauté the apple onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes. Add the turkey, rosemary, curry, salt and pepper and heat through.

Once squash is baked, let it cool for a few minutes so you can scoop it out. And mix it in the turkey mixture.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs together and then add to the turkey mixture. Transfer that to a baking dish coated in coconut oil spray. Top with cheese (optional) and bake for 25 minutes.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Ooooh that looks sooo good @dkwi04

I need to try this one. Thank you!
  • germany03
    germany03 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I make Frozen yoghurt for my sweet tooth. :) I add a little honey or different pierced/smushed berries to greek yoghurt and then put it on the popsicle molds....when I feel like having a treat I get me one of them out of the freezer...so awesome, especially with this heat wave comming.