Fitbit

Options
frogs777
frogs777 Posts: 10 Member
Do any of you good people use any of the Fitbit apps or goodies? I am thinking of getting a Fitbit Zip but not sure if it is worth the money. At the moment I am using the Pacer app but it is eating the battery of my ipod like something crazy. (I'm having to charge it every day instead of every 3-4 days when just used as an MP3 player with extras ;) ). Any thoughts??

Thank you in advance

Replies

• sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are a gadget person a Fitbit might inspire you to move more. I like my Fitbit One, which costs more than the zip, but it has a rechargeable battery (I charge only about once every two weeks or so) and more features than the zip. I like the step counting, the flights of stairs (and it counts every 10 feet up as a flight of stairs, even if you're out walking; racked up 54 flights of steps on a hike up a small mountain.) I did like the sleep monitoring for awhile but now I know how I sleep, I don't use it anymore. I like the silent alarm - I wear it on my PJs and it vibrates and wakes me up without my hubby even being aware of it. The One shows lots of things right on it's face all day long, but it also hooks up to my computer or smartphone and gives me info there. It hooks up with MFP too and gives me extra calories based on my activity. Sometimes it's on sale at Amazon.
  • Purple1105
    Purple1105 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am drooling over them- does that count? Lol
  • frogs777
    Options
    lol Purple 1105. I took the plunge after finding the message board group dedicated to fitbit. Apparently it will be with me by 11th June :hushed: Many, many people swear by them. I want something that I can attach to whatever I am wearing without worrying about it falling out of my pocket (ie ipod!) or needing pockets to put the item into. Thanks for the answers. If anyone wants to add me as a friend please feel free.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had bought a fitbit force - the one that was recalled. It finally did end up giving me a rash. I returned it to the store I bought it at a year later. A year because I bought it while on vacation and I wasn't back there until a year later. I was lucky they accepted the return.

Just be careful how much you push yourself. I speak from experience. I was trying to increase my steps to >10,000 per day. We had a walking challenge going on at work. Well, I ended up tearing my meniscus (knee). I should have listened to my body, instead of it.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence about this...as I have friends who have fitbits and they are OBSESSED with steps, calories, etc. etc. I like to relax .. and I'm not a techie.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge & I absolutely Love it! Every single day without fail it motivates me to move. I would be lost without it..
  • Purple1105
    Purple1105 Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am tech obsessed therefore I need one.... However my wallet said no!
  • frogs777
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SpeedRacer I hear you but after taking early retirement (at 47 years) my life has gone to being very sedentary to the point that the only time I moved was to go up the stairs to use the loo!! I got very lazy, nagged and nagged the OH to get a dog in an effort for us to get moving again and hey presto - we walk every day (with our Westie dog) - some of the walks are long and some are short. Yesterday we were out and about for 5 hours in the car with the dog stopping every now and again and walked around lakes, wooded areas etc. A great day and it got us moving so much so that I even managed to get to a whole 7777 steps (about 2+ thou more than I normally do.) That is another reason why I want/need something that can attach to clothing were pockets are not needed.. (and I am never one to get obsessed, I'm tooooooo lazy for that :hushed: )
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I agree with you Frogs777 , it helps to get u moving & like u I'm never one to get obsessed!
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Makes perfect sense Frogs777...I have always had a dog, walked at least 20 minutes twice a day for years...out of necessity!! I also live near the beach so I can walk there and park far away from the building at work, so walking (at least!) is built in. I can see the need/want for others though.
  • delaneysmom46
    delaneysmom46 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex. It is the entry level fitbit that goes in a wrist band. Nothing fancy but let me tell you, it really motivates me to keep moving. I get very upset with myself if I don't get my 10,000 steps in each day. I have found myself doing steps at night in front of the tv just to try and make my goal for the day. My fitbit came with a black wristband but I found tons of cute replacement bands on Amazon and now have about 10 different pattern/color choices.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I bought a FitBit One in April and that thing has sure kept me moving! Radio Shack is going out of business, so I got it there 40% off (reg. price $99 and I got it for $60). Only needs a charge about once a week. I don't like things on my wrist, so the FitBit One works great for me. I just clip it on my bra and go. I also like the community aspect of the FitBit website. They have a forum, friends, challenges, etc. I belong to an ongoing "Workweek Hustle" challenge where whomever gets the most steps that week wins. A couple of my friends are overachievers and won't give up the top spots on the leader board. Ha! 10,000 steps is my daily goal, and so far 20,000 has been my highest. Now I need to top that!

I'm a little twitchy today because I forgot to clip on the fitbit before leaving for work this morning. I didn't even realize it until after I got back from a long walk during my lunch break and went to check my daily step total and saw it was zero. I keep thinking all those steps going unaccounted for! I think I'm addicted.

There's also this FitBit group here on MFP.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit for 3 years. I like knowing my activity level and would be lost without it!
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just got the Jawbone Up Move. It's on sale now for 39.99. I wanted something entry level that was cheap. Today was my first day of logging steps. I like that it sinks to MFP. I don't think I'll make 10,000 steps today but I'm just starting out!
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit almost two months now. Target.com had them on sale for $80 - so I got it. I love having it - although it never tells me that I'm not moving too much - which I wish it did. I like seeing the number of steps I take in a day. When I reached 10,000 steps having it vibrate was one of the greatest feelings. I like it.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is a pedometer that works really well for the price (Zip or One). If you care about steps that is what it actually does. I chose it as it so popular you get into the step challenges with so many others. For my running I use something else with a GPS that is less expensive than the fancier fitbits.

• AlecB62
    AlecB62 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'd like a Fitbit Charge HR but I have chunky wrists and the XL size that I need isn't available in the UK yet (coming soon is all Fitbit will commit to)
    I could go for the Charge but am thinking the heart rate function will come in handy.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I have a Fitbit charge & I love it.. Yesterday I could see throughout the day that I had walked 13k + steps.. It keeps me motivated.. Also if my mobile rings & I can't hear it.. My wrist gets a vibrate with the persons name showing up on the monitor..
    Every Tuesday in my inbox I get my weekly stats.. It gives me something to aim for.. Am I'm benefiting from it
    Absolutely!
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit one. I am a techie sort of guy but I don't obsess over my step count. I usually average 10k steps/day working and I can't always have my iPhone with me to count my steps.
    I have mine in its silicones sleave with the belt clip but I usually keep it in a pocket. I recharge it every 2-3 weeks.
  • sdenesi
    sdenesi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit flex for two years. I think it actually has inspired me to keep walking and I hesitate to say it lol, but its almost a habit by now. I love the way it syncs with my fitness pal and w.w. I am thinking of upgrading it. I don't why I would need my HR but you never know.....I have lost 40 lbs over two years and its a big part of that!