RDA on keto?

Options
cottagegirl71
cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
Was looking at my reports and wondered if the typical RDA's apply? I seem low on a few things and can take a multi but prefer to figure out what foods I can eat with the nutrients I am lacking...

Replies

• cottagegirl71
    Options
    oh and also - what "should" my my potassium and sodium range be daily? does that depend on height/weight? thanks o:)
  • 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey! Not sure how helpful this is, but I don't think your vitamin/mineral RDA changes. I take a multi and B complex on the advice of my doctor (not related to style of eating). It's super hard (and probably unnecessary) to get potassium from OTC supplements; each tablet is something like 3% of RDA. Sodium? Unsure. I love salt, but try not to add too much.
  • cottagegirl71
    Options
    yeah - for the potassium I was thinking about using a salt substitute like this: http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/collections/cooking/products/nusalt-salt-substitute-3-oz

but have also heard that you need more sodium with this WOE because your body absorbs it diferently?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    +2 g/day of sodium is I think Phinney's recommendation - you pee out more due to lower insulin levels.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    You use less of things like Vitamin C when you're low carbing, as it's used to help process carbs. Nobody has actually done a full list of the RDAs when you're keto, at least not that I've found.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The RDA potassium amounts, as I recall, are based on something like certain cancer patients or something crazy like that, it's arguably unrealistically high for most people. To compound the issue of trying to track it, most nutrition info resources don't list potassium at all, so you're probably getting quite a bit more than what any log will show. The latter is the same for a lot of micronutrients.

Personally, I've never needed to supplement potassium, especially as long as sodium is kept up (sodium deficiency will result in the ketones binding to potassium, instead of sodium). The only exception is long sessions of fairly strenuous exercise, where all the electrolytes end up depleted.

Magnesium is more often the one that needs supplemented, but most often because the SAD, itself, is deficient (magnesium is one of the most common deficiencies among people with metabolic disorders) and so people are suffering from chronic deficiency, and the change in diet brings it to more obvious light.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is never listed anywhere on the label, how does one know how much they eat without a list of foods to refer to?

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/magnesium-rich-foods.html
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    +2 g/day of sodium is I think Phinney's recommendation - you pee out more due to lower insulin levels.

Yep. 1-2g/d of EXTRA sodium beyond your normal intake. They also recommend a 20-day course of Slow-Mag (3 pills per day) to bring up your Mg level.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    Magnesium is never listed anywhere on the label, how does one know how much they eat without a list of foods to refer to?

I read an article that said that our soil is so magnesium depleted that even this info isn't always right... Sad as that is!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »

I think in the diet overall, Magnesium is one of those "nickel and dime" kind of micros -- just about everything has a little bit, so you should get enough as long as you're eating a good variety of foods and/or getting most of your food as stuff that's generally higher in magnesium.

http://www.magnesiumeducation.com/food-sources-of-magnesium (I don't put stock in the grain parts of the list, because they often include fortified stuff, and grains are nearly always fortified to get the nutrition levels they claim, but the rest is a good guide)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Have you had a full blood panel done? My doctor does them a little more often than most because I have a predisposition to iron and D deficiency, but you should still be able to get one done once in a while if you're concerned even without a reason like that. If you think you're low, you're better off to start there and see where you are as a baseline, than trying to guess and potentially make yourself sick by taking too much of something.
  • cottagegirl71
    Options
    Yes - bloodwork was done pre-keto.....I think I will take my women's daily multi and my magnesium and see how that goes for a while - thanks everyone!