Retaining Water

Options
Artemis68
Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
I posted the other day about seeming to lose no weight even after a physically strenuous weekend, but now I'm really noticing my water retention.

I can tell I'm retaining water by my rings which I can't stand to wear right now because of my puffy fingers. I've got wicked dry mouth and I'm super thirsty all the time; and for some insight into that I never used to drink anything. Pretty much got my fluids from the food I ate. Now I'm drinking water all the time... and I hate water. I tried taking some of my herbal diuretics, but no luck on shedding this. I'm even noticing that for the amount of water I'm taking in I really should be peeing far more often than I am.

So far by googling I've seen that muscles can retain water after heavy strength training. Another suggestion was to 'refeed' or 'carb up'... which obviously I don't want to do.

These things aren't make it or break it with LCHF, I'm just uncomfortable. I don't like being puffy! Not to mention, I firmly believe it's why my weight isn't changing too.

Have any of you had these symptoms/side effects? Did they go away on their own? Any advice or suggestions for me?

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough salt & other minerals?
  • lashaunda88
    lashaunda88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How many oz a day are you drinking? Also sometimes too much salt makes me retain water a lot more. I ate sunflowers seeds for a whole week (seasoned shell kind) and noticed a lot of water weight. After I stopped eating them that weight quickly rid itself.
  • Artemis68
    Options
    I think I'm getting enough salt. Check out my food diary if you wouldn't mind. I really don't know how much the proper amount of salt is. As for minerals, I think I still eat fairly healthfully... but just in case I've been taking vitamins as well.

I don't really track my water, but I have a 20 oz coffee in the morning and then for water probably about 80 oz a day give or take.
  • Artemis68
    Options
    I haven't been snacking at all... so no salt there. Just in my meals.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public.
  • Artemis68
    Options
    Oh!! I had no idea... let me fix that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    And to let you know, some people, like me, retain water like crazy when I don't have enough salt. I have to treat that 2000 mg a day as a minimum. I add in some pickles and such when I start retaining water. You can actually add salt to your water directly to help balance the Ph of it, and all manner of things. Electrolytes are such a delicate balance. So if the diuretics are not helping at all, it might help to try the opposite....

And your water needs are based off of weight factors, too...
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Friday was a decent sodium day, but you're probably massively dehydrated due to your exertion and the fact that you've been crazy low on sodium all the rest of the last week.... When I'm that dehydrated, my body will hold onto every drop of water/fluids I have like I'm in the Sahara.
  • Artemis68
    Options
    Wow Knit, I just went back and looked at my food diary. I just added the sodium column with posting this discussion so I haven't been tracking it at all. I don't come anywhere close to 2000mg of sodium!

So if we're supposed to have that much sodium, what's the deal with all the reduced sodium stuff? I mean, I don't really use salt at all but I also don't buy those reduced sodium products either... so I thought I'd be getting just right amount of salt. (does that even make sense? lol)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Artemis68 wrote: »
    Wow Knit, I just went back and looked at my food diary. I just added the sodium column with posting this discussion so I haven't been tracking it at all. I don't come anywhere close to 2000mg of sodium!

So if we're supposed to have that much sodium, what's the deal with all the reduced sodium stuff? I mean, I don't really use salt at all but I also don't buy those reduced sodium products either... so I thought I'd be getting just right amount of salt. (does that even make sense? lol)

Salt is part of an electrolyte balance. We need more of it when low carbing because our bodies process it differently. Carbs themselves cause water retention, but when less carbs are present, our bodies dump water, and then to keep balance, the body dumps sodium which dumps potassium and magnesium....we're then low on electrolytes and dehydrated. This effect doesn't happen the same in carb laden people, and some people with underlying issues (pre-existing high blood pressure or edema) have problems with excess sodium, and therefore reduced sodium products....

But essentially, we're using different fuel, so we need different additives for best performance. A truly balanced low carb diet won't need as much additions, but with soil depletion and pesticides and all that junk, it's really hard to know what you're getting, and if it is bio-absorbable, etc.
  • Artemis68
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! I ran out to the grocery store and grabbed some oxo in a mug mix, 790mg per tsp. I must have really needed it because just the smell of opening the container elicited the Pavlov response. Pretty impressive with the dry mouth I've got!! Honestly I felt like a addict opening the package of their next fix... it was weird! And now, about 30-40mins later I actually feel so much better. I didn't even realize I felt bad.

I love this group!!!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    So if we're supposed to have that much sodium, what's the deal with all the reduced sodium stuff?

I know it'll shock everyone here, but I've seen articles indicating that the powers that be are suddenly realizing that salt is an essential part of our diet. Can't find them now for the life of me, but it's been recent.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! I ran out to the grocery store and grabbed some oxo in a mug mix, 790mg per tsp. I must have really needed it because just the smell of opening the container elicited the Pavlov response. Pretty impressive with the dry mouth I've got!! Honestly I felt like a addict opening the package of their next fix... it was weird! And now, about 30-40mins later I actually feel so much better. I didn't even realize I felt bad.

I love this group!!!

So glad to have helped...
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think the general warning to people about not eating salt, is because over the years a lot of people are buying ready made foods, stuff in bottles , jars, take aways etc, and salt is used a lot in these foods. However low carbers tend to make their own meals and eat a lot of protein and veg, and don't buy packets, jars etc . So we tend to forget the salt bit. Also the powers that be, make general statements then have to go back and correct them, but a lot of people rather cling to the old ideas. Remember when EGGS were the big bad thing, no more than two a week? now we are told eggs actually are very good for us. Ditto with the whole dairy thing, and red meat. None of these things are BAD, just moderate them with a bit of common sense. Another one is the new fad for natural sugar, sugar is natural anyway, it grows as cane, or in some cases as a beet, it is extracted and refined. However it is sugar, and whether you get the sugar from a honeybee, or sugar cane, or an apple, it is sugar, so a lot of what we read is just bumf that magazines and media like to feed us. :lol: the best thing is to listen to our bodies, . Avoid ready made meals, and if you need salt, add the salt.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Artemis, I had the same problem THREE TIMES but with different symptoms each time. Once, I had puffy finger water retention, the other time I has insatiable thirst and the last time was insatiable hunger signals. Every time I realized I had stopped salting my food. For me I HAVE to put salt on almost everything. It (unbelievably) doesn't taste salty to me and within a few hours (if I haven't been) I feel soooooo much better. The Beast almost blows a gasket when he sees how much salt I eat in a day. He's been a hardcores low salt, low fat etc. guy his entire life, but seeing my results and the undeniable effects it has for me.... he's on board, for me as long as I don't salt HIS food. :) He's clearly not insulin resistant though.

All that to say, glad you figured it out, and trust it. I know it seems weird and against everything society at large has come to believe... but for us... all that soceity at large has told us to do, has made us worse. So, give it a go, and go by how you feel. :)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying salt isn't an important mineral, but I actually lose weight better when I limit my sodium to under 1200mg. Maybe my body is the exception? Not sure. That's one thing I do pay close attention to and if I consume too much over that, I'll see water weight gain on the scale. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've seen weight loss every day for over a week now and my sodium is under 1200mg.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I had around 5,000mg of salt yesterday and it was the first day in at least a week and a half where I did not binge, or at least feel the strong urg to. Today I feel fabulous, really happy, energetic and not as hungry. I keep forgetting to put salt on my meat.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I had around 5,000mg of salt yesterday and it was the first day in at least a week and a half where I did not binge, or at least feel the strong urg to. Today I feel fabulous, really happy, energetic and not as hungry. I keep forgetting to put salt on my meat.

I know eh? That just happened to me too!! Crazy! But great feedback! I find my body has such clear signals now. I just have to learn what each one means.
    I'm not saying salt isn't an important mineral, but I actually lose weight better when I limit my sodium to under 1200mg. Maybe my body is the exception? Not sure. That's one thing I do pay close attention to and if I consume too much over that, I'll see water weight gain on the scale. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've seen weight loss every day for over a week now and my sodium is under 1200mg.

Wow, that is interesting. But, it's great that you know that about you and it's good to let others know as well. This board may have the majority of people upping their sodium, but it's good to remind people as well, that everyone is different and you need to listen to your body and tweak things to fit the body you're driving!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I quit adding salt to anything I cooked or ate 35 yrs ago (was told by Dr to leave salt out of diet for gynie issues). Now I add dash in my coffee, salt my bone broth & don't shy away from salty foods. Not sure If sodium levels affect me worse due to the Hashimoto's. I have discovered that if I feel headache coming on, a cup of chicken boullion or bone broth, & it starts to redeem almos before I've finished the drink.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I find that the longer I'm keto, the more my salt needs have returned to closer to normal levels. I still salt my food, and I salt my LOADED TEA (but that's critical to the primal/egg part), but I don't worry about the broth (haven't had it in a month or so, I don't think...and the thought is currently unappealing) and such. Again, it's all about listening to our body's signals.

To me, it seems kind of like we have a new baby. We have to learn what each "cry" and "sound" mean again! :)