what do you do on days you dont run?

Options
maggiekat7
maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
I'm trying to find something active to do on the days I'm not running/jogging. I currently walk and do Pilates. I'm not a gym person, and don't have the confidence to use our facilities for strength training (maybe in the future). I was using some videos for circuit training, but thought that might have contributed to my sore knees (squats), so I stopped.

What do you do to stay active on the days you don't run/jog?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    When I was doing C25K I'd swim on my off days, it's also worth doing some bodyweight weight training. The NHS Choices website has a plan that's complementary to C25K for that.

Nowadays I cycle and swim, although my focus remains the distance running so cycling is limited.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Cycling
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Walked or free weights

More importantly just do something you enjoy
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Swim :)
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I can see the appeal of swimming as alternative exercise to running. It works the upper body and low impact. I'd have to re-learn how to swim, but I think I'll tuck that idea away for the future as it makes sense. Cycling is also a great idea, and due to the hills in my area would be a challenging workout. I do have a bike . . . just sitting there. Waiting. :)

Thanks for the ideas!
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I always get 10,000 steps. On running days it's easy . . . my run gets me there. On off days, I make sure to get in a couple miles of walking to get me there. I know I should be lifting, too, but I just can't seem to get started with that . . .
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to lift, and also take my dog for a walk. Eventually I plan to incorporate her into my runs, but for now I'm starting her off slowly so she can catch up to me. I also work 5 days a week, and I tend to get about 6-7 miles a day at work.
  • amandakstroud
    amandakstroud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take Pure Barre classes. It's expensive, but worth it because I actually go to the classes. I've had gym memberships before that I never used. But with Pure Barre, I'm totally addicted and actually look forward to going.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I try to run 5 -6 days a week (not counting last week B) ) The days I don't do c25k, I do speed intervals. My workouts are 35-45 minutes. This week I'm adding some basic calisthenics 3 times a week for 20 minutes as a second workout. I prefer short intense workouts. Swimming is another favorite during the summer. I'm not a great swimmer but allows me to spend time with the family and get in a workout. B)
  • adam145
    adam145 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I cycle daily, so have been keeping that up while I'm doing the c25k, but I also try to get out to do mountain unicycling(!) at the weekends.
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    adam145 wrote: »
    I cycle daily, so have been keeping that up while I'm doing the c25k, but I also try to get out to do mountain unicycling(!) at the weekends.

WOW I have never heard of mountain unicycling!! You must have great core strength? My mind is even strggling with the imagining that. Go you :)

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Walk. A lot
  • ladyliberty05
    ladyliberty05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do free weights.
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do my runs in the morning and then yoga after work the same day. Then I have a day off in between. I usually do runs on MWF, then yoga MWSat. Yoga really helps to work out any kinks that may have developed during my runs and gets me ready for the next run.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mrsjatty wrote: »
    adam145 wrote: »

WOW I have never heard of mountain unicycling!! You must have great core strength? My mind is even strggling with the imagining that. Go you :)

So, that's actually a THING?

A couple years ago I was on my way down from Angel's Rest. (http://trails.gorgefriends.org/trail/angels-rest/) It is a rock precipice that juts out above the Columbia River Gorge where you can look 1500 feet straight down at the river. Absolutely beautiful. The trail up is 2.5 miles of switchbacks, with a 1500 foot elevation gain. Just below the top, I passed a guy going up carrying a unicycle. I've seen odd things on Oregon trails, but that was one of the oddest. I asked what he was going to do, and he said he was going to ride it down. I have always thought he was lying, and that he was probably going to balance on the precipice and take photos.

Now you're making me think that maybe this guy really WAS going to ride down! (Maybe YOU are that guy??? Was that YOU on that trail, @adam145? I mean, I can't imagine there are very many Mountain Unicyclers in the world . . .)
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @maggiekat7- I have been struggling with the same question, but decided to give Stronglifts 5x5 a shot, and started today. I know that there are a lot of success stories out there that included weight lifting, so I am going to give it a try!
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I do Hot Yoga and starting Kettlebell exercises.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    +1 for Cycling and add in the occassional hike & some walking. There is normally 1 day a week where I don't plan any cardio to allow for recovery.

I started bodyweight exercises, but didn't keep it going. Need to get back to those.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My week looks like this :
    Sunday run
    Monday strength (every other week work with personal trainer )
    Tuesday yoga
    Wednesday long run
    Thursday rest
    Friday run
    Saturday strength
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Take abs/core class one day, swim another day!