2015 MFP Giro d'Italia - Results Thread.

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Ladies and Gentlemen Welcome to the Prizegiving ceremony.

First Up, We have the Sprinters Jersey - The Maglia Rossa Passione (or the Red Jersey) - this is based on the highest average speed over the entire Giro duration.

This Jersey was won with an average of 30.58kph - a clear 2kph faster than his nearest rival... Our Jersey winner this year is...

u7pd4xwqjwhr.jpg

Congratulations Clive - you're getting quite a collection of these...

Second Jersey is one that I've not actually mentioned before in this thread, because I didn't actually want anyone to be competing for it...

There's a bit of a history with the Giro d'Italia of competing for the "Maglia Nera" - the Black Jersey - pretty much the (more stylish) alternative to LeTour's "Lanterne Rouge"...

My Criteria for this jersey was that the rider needed to have made at least 3 entries, in at least 2 of the weeks of the tour. I didn't think it fair to be taking the mick out of someone who'd been injured or otherwise unable to ride after an early issue...

So, and I hope she accepts it in the spirit it was intended, our winner of the Maglia Nera this year with 78.9km booked in 4 separate rides is Fran....

k6fbgc0lasm6.jpg

Third Jersey is the Maglia Azura - the "climbers jersey" - based on the GPS logged ascent as per Strava links. This years winner clocked up an amazing 26,007metres of ascent - that's over 16 miles upwards folks, very close to 3x the height of Everest, and higher than at least 10 of my own rides were long...

4s9m4b0woz3j.jpg

Well done Allan.

and so, to the big prize...

We don't have a stunning trophy like the real thing i'm afraid...

2011-giro_d_italia_trophy_castle.jpg

This years winner, was the only rider out of all of us to actually manage to ride every stage of the Giro - never missed a day, and clocked up 2,114.6km, a clear 631.9km in front of anyone else.

Ladies and Gentlemen - Our Maglia Rosa Winner this year is....

frcxf69x9c68.jpg

Congratulations once again Allan.

Honourable mentions on the GC have to go to our second place rider, Glenn, especially in light of his near 600km Audax effort on the final weekend, and our new rider Sir Steffenson coming in a very close third.

Also - I've been running an "all rounder" competition based on points for the three main jerseys - everyone gets points from 36 down to 1 point based on their position in the three jersey competitions. The "all rounder" is the person with the highest overall points combined... It's a bit complicated, but if you check the logging spreadsheet, it makes a little more sense.

Anyhow...

Our All-Rounders competition winner is rider #331 - Cyclistphil - a very consistent performance, 4th in the climbing and GC, and 2nd in the sprints - very impressive to hit that kind of speed whilst still clocking up silly distances up and down lots of hills.

And Finally - the Team Competition...

Closely fought, up to the last weekend between Team Pastana and Team Lotta Jumbos, but the Amazing 600km PBP qualifier Audax by Glenn pretty much sealed it for Team L-J

cir884pid2ah.jpg

So...

That's it folks for the Giro. All that remains is to thank everyone for their participation, and to remind you to keep your eyes peeled for the next installment of the Grand Tour Challenge - LeTour - commencing in Utrecht on the 4th of July, and running until the 26th July... I don't even get a rest-day on my birthday for this one (July 14th if anyone's interested... Seems somehow appropriate that we're doing the Tour de France at the time, doesn't it...)

Replies

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Full details of all the rides, and lots of stats and comparison charts can be found in the usual place - the logging spreadsheet...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iiOhL_qUcyXVUmoihCTSrMyiDSjfElN20dF_v8Rdn_k/edit?usp=sharing
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all everyone! You all put some amazing rides!

Thanks to Mark for putting together another great challenge! July will be here before we know it.....
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    July will be here before we know it.....

I'm already knee deep in preparing the Logging Spreadsheet for LeTour and trying to get the route-maps and ascent figures sorted out in advance... Signups will probably commence in a couple of days time - just to try and maintain a bit of the momentum we've built up here - it seems its almost dragging the communities bit back to life a little, and I'd like to see that continue where possible.

Forgot to mention in the original post, the "Graham Watson" thread will be passed over to an independent judge for their decision tomorrow sometime, and hopefully we'll get a result for that also added in here when they've passed judgement.

• wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    Congratulations to all the winners! And well done to everyone else!

Thanks for all the time and effort you put in to it @TheBigYin

1st of these challenges for me and hope to do the next one
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    An amazing effort by everyone even give weather issues and other side bar events. Congratulations to all the winners. Outstanding! And for someone of these folks, perhaps, a new shirt is in order.

http://thebeautyofcycling.com/products/i-am-the-secret-pro-base-layer?variant=2192879172
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the hard work Mark and congrats to all the winners. I'm eagerly awaiting the sign-ups for le Tour and hope to put in a far more respectable showing!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Fantastic all round, from the running to everyone who participated, great seeing some new riders and well done to the winners, to the victor go the spoils and fitness boost :).
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the participants who kept it interesting, and to all the jersey winners...I'm looking forward to the next tour...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,214 Member
    Options
    There should be some kind of prize for Mark for all the effort on the spreadsheets. My hat is off to you BigYin!
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of the jersey winners and Lotta Jumbos in the team competition - looking forward to seeing everyone back for the Tour!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Again Mark, top job fella!

I do look good in red; it matches my eyes ;)

Chapeau to all the riders in this challenge; some truly awesome distances travelled and climbs climbed.

I too am really looking forward to the next instalment; vive la Tour!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Once again thanks, Mark for a fantastic event.

Well done to all the Jersey winners, it is well deserved.

Looking forward to the tour
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    First of all thank you Mark, there would be no MFP challenge if it weren't for you!! Of all the challenges the grand tours are my favourite as they have a team component that I think keeps everyone interested. All of the little touches that you do such as the comprehensive spreadsheet for us data geeks, the dossards that signal our participation and of course the snazzy jerseys that we all love vying for
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the hard work! I had a blast (minus being sick the last portion of the challenge) and would love to participate in future events!
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Well done to all the winners, congrats and well deserved double jersey win for the formidable "Veloman" Allan! That's some achievement particularly after the bad accident not that long ago in good old Blighty. Well done to Clive, super speedy as ever! And of course I accept the Maglia Nera with the spirit with which it was given and will endeavour to compete to NOT get that in the next Tour - whether that be TdF or La Vuelta (depending on lots of factors which kept me with a measly 4 rides this Tour, as I don't want to let the team down again).

Well done Mark and chapeau to all riders!!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who's expressed their enjoyment of this challenge series - Sorry I've not replied individually as it'd double the length of the thread - but your enjoyment is part of what makes me go the extra couple of steps (the Dossards, Trophy Badges et. al.)

I'm already looking forwards to Le Tour - and desperately hoping that I can actually get a little fitter/healthier so I can get out of the Autobus and at least into the Peloton...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - the judges decisions are in on the Graham Watson Thread, and in traditional theatrical manner, we're going to announce them in reverse order.

So, In third place we have... @Rides4Sanity

2zpp739.jpg

Judges Comment - "definitely a hint of pink in there and an alternative take on the theme"

In Second Place we have... @Kupe

zbcny5bhbvrf.jpg

Judges Comment - "incredibly simple and effective, showing distance and perspective and just works!"

And our Winner for this section of the Challenge... @jillyian

s78mv390k7hw.jpg

Judges Comment - "clever use of the mirror acting as a frame within a frame and I like that you can see the road disappear off in both directions, that works well compositionally."

She also gave a Honourable mention to our friend who "dresses like an Australians Nightmare" - @cowbellsandcoffee

pfl3daji2qp5.jpg

"just for utter madness, colour and fun."

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Loving the winning image, nice work and some great pics.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to getting my TdF dossard, so I can post it in my other challenge group, Move your *kitten* Challenge, see if we can recruit more riders. I am having Giro withdrawals already, June is going to be a long month.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Fabulous pic Jill. It was my fav so glad it won. Well done to all the other clever photographers for some neat shots