Paleo Pic-nic

Options
bluefish86
bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
Hello everyone!

I'm going on a picnic with my SO on Saturday, and I would appreciate some inspiration for finger foods....
What would you bring on a paleo (primal) picnic?

Replies

• bluefish86
    Options
    So far I have.... wine.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Not a finger food, but good for travel: A salad in a jar with bacon, grilled chicken, romaine, red cabbage, carrots, avocado, and a homemade dressing. Put the cabbage, carrots, and chicken at the bottom of the jar with the dressing, and the romain at the top so it doesn't get soggy. Might keep bacon separate.
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The salad in a jar is a great idea, no muss no fuss. This would also be a good time to use the Julian Bakery Paleo Wraps. They are made from coconut meat and are real handy for making a handheld food like a burrito. Just hold the sauce until time to eat so they don't get soggy. A Paleo Wrap, a little nut butter, cooked shrimp and veggies and you have a spring roll ready to go :)

A Primal potato salad made up the day before would work, as would deviled eggs. Crab Deviled Eggs would be a classy addition to any picnic.

Cold chicken is tasty, fried chicken has always been a picnic staple, baked will work just as good. Cook the day before and toss in the fridge. If you are really strapped for time, a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods will work. Just cut up and toss in the fridge the day before.

Blanched veggies with a cauliflower based hummus are another easy make ahead dish that would go well with most picnic wines.

Hope this gives you some ideas, and have an awesome picnic.
  • bluefish86
    Options
    I love the salad in a jar idea!
    I'll be stealing that one for my work lunches as well... ;)
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I made this for mother's day one year and it was fantastic- made with paleo mayo and you are good to go. Ina even has a cute idea of packing it in Chinese take out boxes (if you do seafood and it won't be in the heat).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/shrimp-salad-recipe.html

I cut the recipe in half easily, you might want to reduce it further. It's better after sitting in the fridge.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Cold oven-fried chicken. Potato salad (for me, that would be with paleo mayo and either white sweet potatoes or cauliflower instead of potatoes -- don't forget the hard-boiled eggs, dill pickles, chopped sweet onion, and a little mustard in the dressing). Coleslaw (about 1 TBS each apple cider vinegar and raw honey, mixed with 1/4 to 1/2 cup paleo mayo. Or go with a non-mayo-based coleslaw dressing). Fresh organic strawberries, or a mixed fruit salad (ah, but strawberries...). Carrot sticks for crunch, or carrot-and-raisin salad.

Something chocolate for dessert.

That's my favorite picnic menu.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Oops, I just revisited the topic, and I missed the "finger food" stipulation. Okay, so cold fried chicken, deviled eggs, carrot and celery (and other veggies of your choice) sticks, organic strawberries or watermelon wedges, something chocolate (for a very special occasion, flourless brownies are amazing).
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When I have done picnics I take wraps (either Gem brand wraps or homemade Paleo wraps, or simple lettuce wraps). I add fruit, nuts, and a side of veggies and Paleo Ranch and some type of drink. Usually when I have done this it is a hiking trip so we need a lot of food. i would also add a side of potato salad if you would bring silverware.
  • bluefish86
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) We ended up packing cold chicken, sausages, lazy deviled eggs, carrot sticks, baby tomatoes, apples, pistachios, almonds, cherries, strawberries and blueberries....

Next time I might get more inventive and try to make shrimp or potato salad. I was just worried they wouldn't keep very well in the car (it was a 2 hour journey to where we were picnicking and we don't own a cooler).
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I missed the finger food part! The shrimp is awesome, but yes, it's something that probably needs to be kept chilled so not really a hiking food. It sounds like you had a delicious picnic!
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a very nice picnic. Good variety of nutrient dense foods :)
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    mmmm I want pistachios. We never buy them because they're so expensive. I might have to treat myself!