Vacation and keto

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
My kids and I are going on a little vacation next Friday and Saturday. We are going to be running a foam run (along with lots of mud!!). I've never been to this area before so I'm not sure what food will be available. My youngest son has celiac disease so we will need to choose places to eat where he can eat.

So my question....when you vacation, do you plan ahead? Let yourself splurge a little bit? Fly by the seat of your pants?

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of everything. I normally find one or 2 decent places I can trust to feed me GF, then take my own breakfast and protein bars or snacks for during the day in case my food options don't pan out.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What's a vacation ?
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    What's a vacation ?

Lol I know! With our farm we only go away 5 or 6 days a year.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have something that can be considered lc, even if just a burger with no bun. They will leave off the sides when requested (funny looks from this but who cares) and some will even discount the price when you do! The main thing I miss while travelling is butter. I'm sure some restaurants still have actual butter, but I haven't found one yet. The main thing is to go and have a great time making memories with your family!
  • bikerchick2012
    bikerchick2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Following this thread with interest.
    We are going to France at the end of June for two weeks and want to enjoy our holibobs without doing too much damage (like I usually do every year!) plan to stay on keto at the start and end and have the middle week as a treat week (really deserve it after the last six months stress) so if you see on the news a crossiant shortage in western France in early July you'll know who is responsible
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    The main thing is to go and have a great time making memories with your family!

The one thing I'm worried about is how crappy I'll feel after if I DO indulge. its a 4 1/2 hour drive and I don't want to feel yuck when it's me driving.

So I guess another question is, how crappy do you feel when you've came pit of ketosis after being on for over a month?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I can't say since I haven't been out of ketosis since it began. I don't want to find out how crappy it will make me feel.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    LOL I know....I'm a bit scared. Maybe I'll just stock pile some compliant snacks and google ahead of time so I can figure out where to eat. Hmm..
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There's always something at any restaurant you go to. I would probably bring a jar or container or coconut oil because it doesn't have to be refrigerated and some Keto friendly snacks like nuts, pork rinds, pepperoni, etc. You can portion them out in bags before you go so you don't over do it or make it more purse friendly.

Currently I'm doing a CKD type of eating. I will have some carbs once a week in the evening. I do lift heavy and work out consistently, so I can deplete my glycogen stores pretty quick after a carb up. I will also add an extra long IF the day after to help kick my body back into ketosis. I generally don't experience anything to startling in side effects. However, cravings can last up to a couple days. If you were to do the run, carb up that night with dinner and dessert, then fast the next day until lunch time, you'll probably be ok. The trick is jumping right back on the horse. Good luck!