My scale has moved like this...I was sleeved March 11

April 22 -256
April 29- 250
May 6 -246
May 13 -246
May 20- 241
May 27 -238.5
June 3 -240

WHAT? I WENT UP? Anyone else experience these frustrations? AND previously I didn't even lose weight one week. I know its not all about the scale but I also have never been below 226 since I can remember. I am starting to wonder if I will ever reach my goal of 174. I'm just upset.

Replies

• gldngrl7
    gldngrl7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My scale has moved like this...I was sleeved March 11

April 22 -256
    April 29- 250
    May 6 -246
    May 13 -246
    May 20- 241
    May 27 -238.5
    June 3 -240

WHAT? I WENT UP? Anyone else experience these frustrations? AND previously I didn't even lose weight one week. I know its not all about the scale but I also have never been below 226 since I can remember. I am starting to wonder if I will ever reach my goal of 174. I'm just upset.

Same here. I was sleeved March 23 -- so I'm just a few weeks behind you. I stalled for two weeks after progressing to puréed food. I've lost steadily the last few weeks but then went up a pound this week. I think the body occasionally tries to course correct. I choose to try not to get so tied to the number on the scale.
  • sleevedjaimi
    sleevedjaimi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was alone. Its so frustrating because I honestly feel like I will NEVER get where I want to be. I wish I could not worry about the number but I also know the number is connected to the size of my body.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The first year after my sleeve I didn't lose weight for at least half the year all together. Don't allow these fluctuations to make you run for a bag of chips. They are normal and your body will catch up. Maintain your physicians eating plan and remember, weight loss on a graph looks like stair steps not a slope. Hang in there! :smile:
  • sleevedjaimi
    Options
    Thanks! I have never thought that weight loss looks like steps. great point!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    remember, weight loss on a graph looks like stair steps not a slope. Hang in there! :smile:

I am SO printing this out and taping it some place where I can see it every day.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged Jaimi - everyday I have to remind myself we are all on a different path to the same end destination. I bounce a pound during the week all week every week but over the course of the month there is movement - in just over a month you have lost 16lbs! That is fantastic! My surgeon also told me the less you weigh the slower it will come off - welcome to the light weight club ;) when he called me that I literally busted out laughing at him but then he took the time to explain that someone who starts at 300+ or 400+ is going to lose much faster - his theories but from what I have seen it makes sense.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 4 years out from surgery, I started at 386 and I've lost 160+ pounds so far. The first year was rather quick, then it rapidly turned into what you are experiencing. Some of us just lose slow, but we still lose. Your walk will be similar to others but not exactly the same. As long as the scale, inches or your clothing sizes are going down, you are still headed in the right direction. Patience. You will get there. Trust the program and the surgery. It takes time to get healthy again.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Im 3 1/2 months out. I stalled for about three weeks at 2 months and the fluctuations are a pretty normal occurrence for me. I was totally taken back when I gained a pound the first time!! Now I understand that it is just our bodies trying to adjust to major changes and a new way of life! Hang in there. Don't let the scales control your emotions or discourage you. Its just a simple tool, not the end all and be all of our journey. I started out as a member of the "under 300 club" too, and was also told that I may lose at a slower pace than some. Keep on keeping on. It will all come together. As Pat said, it takes time to get healthy! Trust the program!
  • sleevedjaimi
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement! I'm trying to stay positive about it!
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I had the sleeve, but one of my best friends & roommate - she had the RnY. We're about 2 months apart from each other.

I can tell you from our experiences that men loose their weight differently than women do - surgery or no. Women tend to plateau more often than men do. And it's not uncommon for her to pick up a little extra now & then.

What she has done to keep from being discouraged (and I have taken this up as well) is to measure herself whenever she weighs herself. I know she measures her chest, waist and hips, but I don't know what else. (I also measure my neck and stomach. I know the stomach & waist are technically the same area, but I'm "stretched out" from my previous weight.) So when the scale doesn't move for her (or in the wrong direction), she takes satisfaction in that her measurements are showing improvement. (She works out a lot, too. So she's laying down a bit of muscle as she's losing weight.)

So while you might be gaining a pound here or there, that just might be new muscle. And remember, muscle weighs more than fat does.

89019335.png
    (Quote from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.)